Hey guys so i have never even tryed to record myself but i had a question. When big name artists record things for an album do they record the same guitar part more then 1 time to get a thicker fuller tone? and if i were to record myself would that be a good idea for my own recordings?
A) Yes
B) Yes
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Experiment with it. Some songs need it, some don't.

My favourite way of doing it is to record the parts with different guitar/amp setups then panning 100% left & right to not only thicken up the overall sound, but also to give the impression that there's two guitarists in the recording.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Yes and yes.
I tend to only double track rhythm stuff, but occasionally harmonise leads.
For Rhythm, 75% each and for leads, 25-50%. I keep bass in the middle and the drums are stereo panned like the kit.
Quote by Cavalcade
Pan them 100% left and right. You can try recording four takes, and panning the other two 80% left/right.

This right here

I've done this on a few of my own recordings and the sound is thick and clear, especially if you can manage to play the exact same thing two to four times!

Usually, I just do a 100% left/right pan on a pair of rhythm tracks. I'm lazy :P
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
I could probably do it, but I don't- in the interest of saving time. I would instead copy the track that is already recorded and edit it until you can't even recognize it- but it still makes the track sound heavier. I will link you my bands' song that I fully recorded by myself using my own methods with no "real" multi-tracking,

soundcloud link