I am not a professional player. I am not in a band. And I do not try to make a living in the music industry.

I am a hobbyist.

That said, I personally am a fan of signature guitars. NOT cause I'm some kind of groupie or weird like that... but because they are usually pretty quality guitars with good specific sounds. I know many musicians become jaded and "sell out" but the fact that they endorse something shows to me they take a level of pride in it. And the fact they are even asked to create a signature edition shows me that they are well respected in the industry (even though I am sure many people will disagree with that last statement, Haha)

Anyway. Has anyone ever played the Robin Finck signature shecter? I have become very interested in this guitar but have never touched one or know anything about them other then by reading a product description...

There is no way I'm the only fan of them. If I was then only person to buy them they wouldn't be around.
Last edited by Smigzy at Feb 1, 2014,
i am not a fan of the signatures as i seem them very overprice for what they are. also, i am trying to build my signature, not somebody elses. if i was going to play any signature out, it would be a john petrucci music man. thats about it.

but if t suits you why not?
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Generally not a sig fan, but there are exceptions. I'd love to have a Yamaha TVL, or a Brian May Special, for instance.

But I can't give you an opinion on the Finck.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I'm a fan of signature guitars only if the player actually uses THAT guitar.

An example would be the Epiphone Slash, Epiphone Zakk Wylde, LTD Kirk Hammett, LTD James Hetfield. None of those guys use those guitars. NOT ONE! It's should be sold as a replica and not a "signature" model. If you search for information on a lot of the signature equipment most of the artists don't use those guitars. It's no where near the spec of what they play.

My only Signature guitar I have is a EVH Wolfgang. That thing smokes. The Brian May Special like the poster above mentioned is awesome as well. A Clapton strat is also
Last edited by cheesefries at Feb 2, 2014,
i love sig guitars, that's why i made the "Les Paul" thread.

Les could shred.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020

Les could shred.

no doubt the ultimate signature guitar has got to be a Les Paul ..... G&L has a couple good ones too , the Jerry Cantrel and the Will Ray ASAT , I totally agree if the artist doesn't play the model then what good is the model ??
Whether it's a signature or not doesn't matter, it's all about the specifications and the price. If the guitar looks too outlandish (Synester gate customs, James Hetfield Iron cross, crazy slayer graphics etc) then imo it's too much and ends up looking like a wall ornament or something.
Quote by cheesefries
I'm a fan of signature guitars only if the player actually uses THAT guitar.

An example would be the Epiphone Slash, Epiphone Zakk Wylde, LTD Kirk Hammett, LTD James Hetfield. None of those guys use those guitars. NOT ONE! It's should be sold as a replica and not a "signature" model. If you search for information on a lot of the signature equipment most of the artists don't use those guitars. It's no where near the spec of what they play.

My only Signature guitar I have is a EVH Wolfgang. That thing smokes. The Brian May Special like the poster above mentioned is awesome as well. A Clapton strat is also

I agree with artists plugging stuff they don't actually play but in Zakk Wylde's defence he does actually plays guitars that have an Epiphone shaped headstock that say Epiphone. Although that doesn't mean that it is actually an Epiphone, Satchel from Steel Panther plays a Kramer that is actually a custom shop Gibson. Even if it isn't an Epi he's still supporting the brand unlike basically everyone else.

Those guys you listed will all be playing custom shop stuff not the production, off the shelf stuff we can buy so in a way they are plugging stuff they wouldn't use too. Also the Snakebyte LTD has the exact same specs as the ESP so it is in that regard "the same" as what James Hetfield plays.

I actually think custom stuff is cool, it's like a more extreme version of buying a band T-Shirt. Besides most of the time the specs are fairly standard but occasionally you get something unconventional like the Jim Root Strat.
Some of them I would play and some I would not.

For example: I wouldn't buy a Zakk Wylde LP, or a Dean ML that was blue with lightning bolts. Basically anything with a paint job that is iconic to that artist I wouldn't want, even if it plays great. Another example would be one of the EVH guitars with his crazy paint job.

Other signature guitars aren't so obvious that they are a particular artists model. Like some of the Kirk Hammet guitars, which are just black ESPs. Or the Slash LP, which just looks like any LP. I wouldn't mind owning one of those guitars.

Also the Randy Rhoads guitars are awesome, of course he died before they made it to production, but the model is still iconic to him. Definitely on my list of guitars to own.
Last edited by ninjamunky85 at Feb 2, 2014,
don't mind sigs as long as they have different specs or better yet are an original guitar. there are many strats or LPs that I wouldn't spend the money on because they aren't different enough to warrant it. if it works for you then why not. even some famous players play another guys sig guitar. (not counting LPs but for instance pete townsend has been playing a Clapton strat for the last few years)
Zakk Wylde is a marketing *****. But I probably would be too if given the chance. lol.

Didn't know he played his Epis thogh. That is cool. Nothing wrong with a good epiphone. They are great guitars. I think that Matt Heafy Epiphone LP is pretty cool too.
Quote by cheesefries
Zakk Wylde is a marketing *****. But I probably would be too if given the chance. lol.

I've got the Zakk Wylde crybaby, I think it's a pretty sick wah pedal. I played his strings for a while too.
Last edited by ninjamunky85 at Feb 2, 2014,
Quote by cheesefries

Didn't know he played his Epis thogh. That is cool. Nothing wrong with a good epiphone. They are great guitars. I think that Matt Heafy Epiphone LP is pretty cool too.

In the videos I've seen him playing them he isn't plugging them or anything, he doesn't even mention it's an Epiphone you can just see it is. He certainly doesn't come across as a *****.

I've always thought that people who's actual signature model is an Epiphone or LTD is actually just a custom shop with the Epi or LTD logo for marketing reasons. Matt Heafy used to play Gibsons and presumably he still owns them so why would he play an inferior guitar? Unless it's a guitar of the same quality with an Epi headstock and logo.
I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Schecter sig model in a store with the exception of the A7X guitars. You’re probably going to have to buy that one on faith alone.
Quote by MegadethFan18
In the videos I've seen him playing them he isn't plugging them or anything, he doesn't even mention it's an Epiphone you can just see it is. He certainly doesn't come across as a *****.

I've always thought that people who's actual signature model is an Epiphone or LTD is actually just a custom shop with the Epi or LTD logo for marketing reasons. Matt Heafy used to play Gibsons and presumably he still owns them so why would he play an inferior guitar? Unless it's a guitar of the same quality with an Epi headstock and logo.

i just say that because he has a signature guitar, marshall head, mg head, chorus pedal, overdrive, phaser, wah, rotovibe, strings, straps, and a bunch of other things. Most of it is good stuff. He just puts his name on anything nowadays. I do want that Black Label Chorus. Major GAS for that.

Not sure what you thought from the blanked out word. I called him a marketing ***** which rhymes with door. Never meant to knock him at all. I think there was a slight confusion. lol
Last edited by cheesefries at Feb 2, 2014,
Quote by cheesefries
i just say that because he has a signature guitar, marshall head, mg head, chorus pedal, overdrive, phaser, wah, rotovibe, strings, straps, and a bunch of other things. Most of it is good stuff. He just puts his name on anything nowadays. I do want that Black Label Chorus. Major GAS for that.

Ah gotcha I didn't know he had that much stuff. I wouldn't mind a Zakk Wylde Epi but strings and straps might be stretching it.
Quote by MegadethFan18

yeah you can bet that the guitar made for the star aren't the same as the stock production model. dave mustaine does play one of his cheaper sig model dean's at concerts for 1 song and then gives the guitar away to a lucky concert goer. he said they don't sound all the much different than his high end ones in a live setting. maybe not through his very nice high end rack system.
Quote by monwobobbo
yeah you can bet that the guitar made for the star aren't the same as the stock production model. dave mustaine does play one of his cheaper sig model dean's at concerts for 1 song and then gives the guitar away to a lucky concert goer. he said they don't sound all the much different than his high end ones in a live setting. maybe not through his very nice high end rack system.

That's pretty cool, I didn't know he did that. Yngwie does a similar thing except he destroys the guitar and throws the pieces into the crowd.

I watch a lot of "rig rundowns" on YouTube and supposedly he plays actually play the Korean made guitars a lot because they are lighter which is easier on his back.
The PRS Tremonti SE is a nice guitar I'd buy even though I'm not a fan of him, it is a good cheap guitar
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
The PRS Tremonti SE is a nice guitar I'd buy even though I'm not a fan of him, it is a good cheap guitar

+1
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020

Les could shred.

I will never think of Les Paul as a sig guitar.
Quote by JackovSlayer
I will never think of Les Paul as a sig guitar.

But it is

And just think they make sig's of sig's
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'd like to add though because of YouTube, Slacker, and other free music sites... I feel really bad about thinking how many songs I listen to from artists I like online and never have given them a dime for their work. So I'll buy the sig equipment if It sounds good/plays good.

items on the list. Black Label Chorus. EVH Phase 90. Cantrell Wah
I normally dont like sigs, as most of the people whom they were made for dont use them, but, there are a few I like:

ESP Alexi's
Schecter Merrow's
Washburn Ola's
Ibanez Munky's
ESP MX's

etc..

Most of those guitars have features that I have not seen in other guitars, which is why I like them.
Quote by Robbgnarly
But it is

And just think they make sig's of sig's

I heard that !! .... a Les Paul is probably the first signature electric guitar ever made and the Ultimate signature guitar you can buy now , Les truly never stopped tweaking "his" guitar line for Gibson , not sure if any other company can even comes close to saying that
Signature guitars are still guitars at the end of the day. I'd only buy the sig guitar if I liked the specs even if it didn't have the artist's name slapped on it. But then again, it'll probably be overpriced anyway.
Main Rig
ESP LTD MH-350NT
Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey
Peavey 6505+ 112 w/ 2x12 (Celestion Vintage 30 and WGS Veteran 30)
[Effects Loop] Boss GE-7 > Boss CE-5 > TC Electronic Flashback
Any sort of logo or artwork that ties a signature guitar to one particular artist is a turnoff to me. Good examples would be the Wylde LP's, Syn Gates Schecter, and the PRS SE Akerfeldt.

If I'm not put off by the aesthetics of a guitar and the specs are to my liking, then I have no qualms about buying a signature guitar. I'd love to have either a Guthrie Govan sig Suhr or the new Charvel and one of Paul Gilbert's signature Fireman models.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
I would recommend any PRS signature guitar. I have a Mark Tremonti SE (student edition), and it plays like a high-end guitar.
I got a Kerry King signatures Beast V NT, and I like it because I can use it on stage without being called a "Kerry king wannabe" because it doesn't look like a Kerry King guitar.