I just got rid of my Orange TH30 setup. It was just too modern sounding for me and very limited in the tones. Instead of trying to dial back a high gain modern amp I think I want a mid gain classic voiced amp and use a ts808 if I need anything more. Planning on using my Orange 212 cab with a V30/G12H30.

I'm thinking a used Marshall head of some sort. I've had a DSL50 head twice before. I liked the versatility but I always end up thinking its just "meh" and move em. Maybe a DSL100? Not sure I could crank a JCM800 the places I play. Currently looking at Blackstar , Mesa, and Egnater too. Trying to keep it under a grand. Have to have an effects loop for my delay and reverb (if needed at all)
Any recommendations would be very helpful.

Led Zeppelin, The Who, Cream, ZZ Top, ACDC, Rush, Van Halen, GNR, Velvet Revolver, Smashing Pumpkins, Alice In Chains, Tool, Foo Fighters.
Last edited by cheesefries at Feb 1, 2014,
Used Splawns can be had for around a grand. Sounds like that'd be right up your alley. Might have to stretch just a tiny bit, but it would work perfect for you.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by classicrocker01
Used Splawns can be had for around a grand. Sounds like that'd be right up your alley. Might have to stretch just a tiny bit, but it would work perfect for you.

Forgot about those! Always hear good things about them but never messed with one in person. I'm in NC and I think the Splawn shop is somewhere around these parts. I'll have to track em down.
They're a little over budget, but a used QuickRod would be ideal for you.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
A Splawn Quickrod sounds right up your alley actually, it will cover most of what you listed and with a boost will dive into hair metal territory. I had one for awhile, definitely a cool amp with buckets of Marshall Mojo in it's veins.

I ran an Avatar 2x12 loaded with the same speakers under mine, the G12H30 is a perfect speaker to compliment the Quick Rod. I'd recommend swapping the V30 with something else though, IMO it's harshness really shines with a QR.

Blackstar is probably too high gain for what you're after, the Series One is basically a Dual Rectifier with a Marshall vibe for instance. Gary Moore played with DSL's live for a long time, and he had a ****ing awesome tone. They'll get pretty ballsy too if you ever venture into metal, check out Shadows Fall's "War Within" album if you want to hear a DSL do modern metal.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by Flux'D
A Splawn Quickrod sounds right up your alley actually, it will cover most of what you listed and with a boost will dive into hair metal territory. I had one for awhile, definitely a cool amp with buckets of Marshall Mojo in it's veins.

I ran an Avatar 2x12 loaded with the same speakers under mine, the G12H30 is a perfect speaker to compliment the Quick Rod. I'd recommend swapping the V30 with something else though, IMO it's harshness really shines with a QR.

Blackstar is probably too high gain for what you're after, the Series One is basically a Dual Rectifier with a Marshall vibe for instance. Gary Moore played with DSL's live for a long time, and he had a ****ing awesome tone. They'll get pretty ballsy too if you ever venture into metal, check out Shadows Fall's "War Within" album if you want to hear a DSL do modern metal.

thanks for the recommendations guys.

Gary Moore and Paul Gilbert were the main reasons I went with the DSL in the first place. Now that I look back on my experience... I'm sure the blame has to go to me using cheap cabinets the first go around. Took me a few years to realize how important cab construction and speakers are

It sounds like the QuickRod is the way to go. If I cant find one In my budget I might give a new DSL100 and a used DSL2000 a go with my cab and see how that goes. the Splawn for now tops the list though.
+1

I had an Avatar 212 with my Quick Rod for a while. Great cabs. Loaded with a G12H30 and a Classic Lead 80. Traded it to get my Splawn Cab. Even better.

Where in NC are you exactly? There is a Splawn Pro Mod at the Knoxville GC.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
+1

I had an Avatar 212 with my Quick Rod for a while. Great cabs. Loaded with a G12H30 and a Classic Lead 80. Traded it to get my Splawn Cab. Even better.

Where in NC are you exactly? There is a Splawn Pro Mod at the Knoxville GC.

I'm a little bit east of Raleigh. Just MapQuested that and I'm 425 miles from Knoxville!

Might just have to watch the classifieds around Raleigh/Greensboro. So far not 1 splawn is listed for sale. I kind of like that. Means people are happy with them.
Yeah - you'll just have to keep your eyes open and potentially pay for shipping and get one sight unseen. I can tell you they are worth the risk. You won't run into too many amps made as well as Splawns. Go check out some clips. There is a band out there called Black Oz I believe and one of the their guitarists cops an awesome GnR tone. I'm pretty biased toward Splawn and I'm not saying any of these are better but I found them anyway. Maybe you've already seen them. Worth looking into. It will help you form an opinion one way or the other.

No particular order - I like that 5153 myself.

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/msg/4310781080.html Krank Rev Jr
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/msg/4314311738.html Peavey Classic 50
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/msg/4294525763.html 5153 50
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/msg/4307394943.html Mesa TransAtlantic
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/msg/4311971889.html Marshall DSL
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/msg/4293923496.html Orange TH30 (ooops)
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/msg/4305553464.html Carvin V3
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/msg/4292625528.html Marshall DSL
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/msg/4288044232.html Peavey XXX
if you want to use those speakers you're pretty much limited to 50 watt heads (or less). which is worth bearing in mind.

I agree that something marshally/hot-rod marshally is probably the thing you want.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
First thing to come to my mind was the KK JCM 800 (2203KK). Never tried the Splawns though, might be better, but I don't suggest things I haven't tried.
WTLTL 2011
Krank 1980 Jr is also worth a look 20 and 50 watt versions

Stiff 90AD is a tweaked 1980 20 and 50 watts

Krank Chadwick series 2 (the series 1 is a single channel HR plexi type amp) 50 watts

to throw out some diff amps

JCM2000 is deff worth a look
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Feb 2, 2014,
cool. will check out all these amps.

I had another g12h30 that was in a 112 cab that was the right ohms. So I swapped the V30 with it. So now its a pair of G12H30s in there. Now ready to give all these amps a good workout.
Splawn makes some great stuff. I'd also look at a Hughes&Kettner Duotone. They have that hot rodded Marshall sound, a killer clean channel, 2 levels of gain, and 2 master volumes. The gain doesn't get too heavy, and is usable throughout the entire sweep of the pot. They're definitely worth a look.
Quote by cheesefries
cool. will check out all these amps.

I had another g12h30 that was in a 112 cab that was the right ohms. So I swapped the V30 with it. So now its a pair of G12H30s in there. Now ready to give all these amps a good workout.

Just remember you now have a 60w cab.

I think you have another thread up now about wanting something smaller? Like a lunchbox amp? Have you checked out that Mesa Transatlantic or 5153 50w.
Just remember you now have a 60w cab.

I think you have another thread up now about wanting something smaller? Like a lunchbox amp? Have you checked out that Mesa Transatlantic or 5153 50w.[/QUOTE

I'm going to pick up a head for my cabs and a 112 combo for a grab and go that I can piggyback to a cab if needed.

I haven't had a chance to try a splawn yet. I did try a EVH 5150 III 50 watt through a cab that had g12h30s. It sounded really good for what I was looking for. Liked it had 3 channels too. What surprised me was it "out Marshalled" the JVM doing Marshall tones (IMO)while having a great clean. Granted I didn't get the volume past 5 on either. I just set both at a minimum volume I was sure to get over a drummer. Still going to try out a few more heads before I make a decision.

So far I'm thinking the 5150 III head for my cabs and a DSL40c for a grab and go.
Last edited by cheesefries at Feb 4, 2014,
Laney GH50L and an Avatar Contemporary 2x12 with Celestion T-75s.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
Laney GH50L and an Avatar Contemporary 2x12 with Celestion T-75s.

Already have an Orange 2x12 ive been gigging for 6 years. No way in **** I would replace it with a thinner copycat avatar cab.

I'll give the Laney a shot though
Last edited by cheesefries at Feb 4, 2014,