Okay, so I was messing around with tunings, and I've found one that I can't find an official name for...

I usually play half-step down, but this is what it would be if I'd started from Standard

D // G // D // G // D // E

or in my case Db // Gb // Db // Gb // Db // Eb

So any guesses as to what this is? Besides ****ing stupid?
Caution:
This post contains my opinion and/or inaccurate information

Quote by vayne92
I'm genuinely beginning to think you're the best troll of all time

"Emocore is like, when you cry when you break a guitar string"
- Thurston Moore
Unrelated:

Why'd you sig one of my posts from this thread?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1629324

Related:

It's not an open tuning nor is it any sort of common tuning given a name. If you were just messing around with tunings then it sounds like you found a tuning that has minimal practicality and that you should very much not be using. You wont be able to play like any chords using that tuning.

If you think about it, the strings are as follows.. 2 down, 2 down, standard, standard, 3 up (what?), standard.
Not sure about you man, but i like to play chords.
Last edited by vayne92 at Feb 1, 2014,
Maybe there is a reason nobody has named/used it yet...

"Could everyone please stop sounding like everyone else that's trying to sound like meshuggah?"

-Emil Werstler

Quote by damian_91
Kurt Cobain, the best guitarist to ever live.

It's like an open G, so you get easy one finger chords, but it has a nice tonal quality/thickness with the extra D
Caution:
This post contains my opinion and/or inaccurate information

Quote by vayne92
I'm genuinely beginning to think you're the best troll of all time

"Emocore is like, when you cry when you break a guitar string"
- Thurston Moore
Open Dbadd11sus2? Open Gbadd13? Open Ebm7?

Seriously, who cares, if you like it then it really doesn't matter.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Feb 4, 2014,
It's probably closest to an Em7 or G6. I would suggest adding in a B somewhere though, probably in the middle. Like if you tuned GDGBDE that could work. You would need to change strings though.

Personally though I would recommend GBDEGB, though you would need to omit the high E string and put in another string (comparable in gauge to a D string) for the E. Probably a slightly lower string for the low G would be cool.

This particular 6 chord voicing is probably the best 6 string open tuning ever though. It is a fourth below the classic C6 (CEGACE) tuning that is basically the standard for Hawaiian lap steel, but it can work well on a standard round neck, Spanish style 6 string as well.

If you look carefully, you have G and B at the top and bottom. Adding the D gives you a G major, while the E gives you an E minor. This means that the open notes give you all three inversions of G major and its relative minor, and the same holds true at any fret (2nd fret is A and F#m, 5th fret is C and Am, 7th fret is D and Bm, 9th fret is E and C#m, etc).

This of course made it (well, the C6 tuning, though this is of course the same intervals) very cool for lap steel, since it is the simplest tuning that allows both major and minor chords with a steel.

It also allows a 6th chord, which is only mildly useful outside of Hawaiian music. And unlike lap steel guitar, where you are limited by the steel, you can put a finger up a fret on the third string (F) to give you your 7th chord. You can even make it an F# if you really want a M7.

Also putting a finger on one of the G strings a fret up gives you G#, which gives you G#BDEG#B, which is an E7 chord, though it is probably more trouble than it's worth to do that on both strings when play bar chords, so just forget the top 2 strings or bottom string.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.