Ok so i am 14, live in australia and have been learning guitar for a couple of years and im thinking of upgrading my current guitar (cort x-6), i play thrash/death metal mostly. I do alot of sweeping as well. I run through an Envoy 110 w/ a Boss ME-70 pedal. I was looking at either a Schecter Hellraiser or an Epiphone Explorer maybe something that i wouldnt need to upgrade for a long while. Also the cheaper the better, being 14 i dont have that much cash laying around.

Any help would be appreciated
Last edited by zach.paynter.9 at Feb 1, 2014,
Used LTD 1000 series
Used Gibson V/Explorer
Used Jackson Pro Series

Although I do know that guitars are a hell of a lot more expensive in Australia than in most places in the world.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I say get a used Jackson SLS3
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Used RG950. Got one of those in my shop. One of the fastest fretboards I've ever touched.
Schecter has very good quality stuff. Good selection too if you are just looking for a shredder type guitar. I'd say the quality of a Hellraiser is much better than any Epiphone short of an elitist model (MIJ). IMO. Don't worry about having under 1000. You can get very nice equipment in your budget. Just be sure to play before you buy if you can.

The guys above also have very good recommendations about Gibsons, Jacksons, and LTDs. A used Carvin might be a good choice too. Not sure in Austraila though. Here many sell close to 1/4 of their selling price and the quality is on par with anyone.
Last edited by cheesefries at Feb 1, 2014,
Thanks for the suggestions guys but decent used guitars are hard to come by where i am, ive been looking on ebay, gumtree (australian craiglist), facebook groups, pawn stores and so on but the few ive come across are not that much less than they would be new. I think im leaning towards the schecter after reading reviews... how is that for shredding? \m/ \m/
Look into the Jackson X series. I am personally looking for an RRXMG I think. Randy Rhoads signature. Look at mainly Jackson, Ibanez and Schecter. Ibanez S series seem to be good too.
Lots of people like thin necks for shredding, Hellraiser doesn't have a thin neck so you should try it first if you can.
Schecter aren't the best for shredding due to their fatter necks. The only shredder that uses Schecter is Jeff Loomis, and well...he's Jeff Loomis lol.

I'd say Ibanez or Jackson. IF you can, get an older Ibanez- an RG550 or a older Saber model would be awesome.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Ibanez is your friend (unless you're interested in a larger neck like the Schecter will have).

Check out some of these models (not sure how the prices translate down there).
  • RG950
  • RG920
  • APEX20
  • etc.

There are tons of shredders out there. Jackson, ESP (LTD if you're buying new), Ibanez, Carvin... The list goes on and on.
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
I second jackson and ibanez. The new jackson pros are awesome guitars, the x series are quality too.
but as was already said, older Japanese for both ibanez and jackson are the way to go, if your lucky enough to find em.
for instance just picked up a white dinky dk2m pro from like 2003 for barely $300, easily my favorite guitar right now, you can find some used gems sometimes
Quote by Slayterica
I second jackson and ibanez. The new jackson pros are awesome guitars, the x series are quality too.
but as was already said, older Japanese for both ibanez and jackson are the way to go, if your lucky enough to find em.
for instance just picked up a white dinky dk2m pro from like 2003 for barely $300, easily my favorite guitar right now, you can find some used gems sometimes

The DK2M came out in 2006

But you're right, I've got two of them and they're fantastic. So yeah, I'm another one who'd reccomend Jacksons. A Japanese Pro if you can find one, but from what I can tell the new ones are pretty good too - there's a few I'd quite like to own.
Quote by Confuse-a-Cat
The DK2M came out in 2006

But you're right, I've got two of them and they're fantastic. So yeah, I'm another one who'd reccomend Jacksons. A Japanese Pro if you can find one, but from what I can tell the new ones are pretty good too - there's a few I'd quite like to own.

haha whoops, that's what I meant. had this other dinky from 2003, got confused my bad
Tons of cheap Ibanez Prestiges out there. If you don't mind a few chips in the paint, you can easily find RG1570 or RG550/570 for under $500. I've seen mint rga121's go for that as well.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
What Hellraiser specifically? Some of them have FR Specials, which won't last you a long time. They wear out eventually and lose ability to stay in tune. Not good.

Instead of us trying to guess what will be available in your market, why don't you tell us some of the models you're looking at that you can afford? Maybe link to a site that sells gear in your currency?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
What Hellraiser specifically? Some of them have FR Specials, which won't last you a long time. They wear out eventually and lose ability to stay in tune. Not good.

Instead of us trying to guess what will be available in your market, why don't you tell us some of the models you're looking at that you can afford? Maybe link to a site that sells gear in your currency?

The Schecter hellraiser C1 only because of how often i see it mentioned online. My price range is around 600-700 but i could probably stretch that to 1000, also my local music store can order in pretty much any guitar in production but it prices are generally around 25% more expensive than the US. like i said before cheaper is better and the C1 looks pretty decent for the price.
Last edited by zach.paynter.9 at Feb 4, 2014,
Quote by zach.paynter.9
The Schecter hellraiser C1 only because of how often i see it mentioned online. My price range is around 600-700 but i could probably stretch that to 1000, also my local music store can order in pretty much any guitar in production but it prices are generally around 25% more expensive than the US. like i said before cheaper is better and the C1 looks pretty decent for the price.

The Hellraiser C-1 is a decent value guitar. They're pretty solid, but you should play one if you can. I don't like the feel of most Schecters, for instance. The poly coating they use feels extremely thick and sticky, and the aesthetics are rather meh.

In the same price range, I would highly suggest the LTD H-1001 instead. It's a very similar guitar on paper, but the H has a very deep back cutaway that feels fantastic.

That said, the C-1 does have the EMG 81TW / 89 set going for it, which is an extremely nice feature.

You can't go too wrong either way, but just throwing it out there.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Used Jackson MIJ from 1998-2006. Those are made at Fujigen are awesome.
You can score some used Ibanez prestige or series 500 or even 700.
Jackson DK2FS
Fernandes FR-65

Morley pro series pedal
BBE two time Delay
Empress Nebulus
Subdecay Quantum Quasar
Solid Gold FX Nitro

Blackstar HT stage 100
Marshal 1922 2x12 (V-30, Greenback)
I really like PRS SE models they seriously shred!!! You can get those cheap here in the US.
Yeah, especially the Paul Allender which has the EMG 81/89s and decent Floyd (assuming you're after EMGs...)
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
You're on the right track and looking in the right places as used is definitely the way to go. As has already been said, the Jackson Dinky series have fast boards. SoCals are great but a bit spendy. You may want to check out the Charvel line as well. I'll pass on a +1 for the Ibenez RG950 that JustRooster mentioned also in that it's a wonderful player in addition to its speedy board.
Last edited by HotDan! at Feb 5, 2014,