is gretsch white falcon worthing buy to play the ramones, the clash, sex pistols?
these seventies punk rock. especially the ramones! i know johnny ramone's tone is very fuzz, and also know white falcon has howling if too much distortion/overdrive, but does it still work for the ramones?
thank you for your answer!
Last edited by johnpaulgeorger at Feb 2, 2014,
Not quite the same genre, but if Billy Duffy can play one for The Cult and kick ass, I don't see why you couldn't play one for punk.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
the sex pistols used cranked fender amps, im sure you'd be fine. Lots of money for a punk guitar though
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional, Honey Burst
Alvarez Cedar Top
Fender Twin Reverb
CAE dual-fasel wah
EMMA DiscumBOBulator
T-Rex Yellow Drive
TC Spark
Mooer Phaser
TC Flashback X4
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Not quite the same genre, but if Billy Duffy can play one for The Cult and kick ass, I don't see why you couldn't play one for punk.

This. Best guitarist ever.

TS - you can play any genre on any guitar.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington

I agree.
It's a matter of trying the guitar for yourself to hear if the tones that you get out of it suit your taste to use on the particular music genre(s) you want to use it for.

What i mean is that while you can use any guitar to play any genre, you'll probably feel that some guitars' tones don't fit very well with some genres. But that's personal preference and not a rule, so it's best to try it for yourself.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by GaryBillington
This. Best guitarist ever.

I wouldn't say best ever, but he is amazing and highly underrated. But yes, I can imagine a White Falcon would work very well for punk.
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
I wouldn't say best ever, but he is amazing and highly underrated. But yes, I can imagine a White Falcon would work very well for punk.

It's no more of a biased opinion than people saying anyone else who happens to be their favourite is the best ever

I gotta ask though TS: Are you seriously asking for advice on a £3k guitar? If you're considering spending that sort of money, you should really know what you're looking for and be able to get round as many shops as possible to try everything you can to really pinpoint your ultimate guitar.

Surely if you really wanted to know the answer to this question, you'd spend some time finding out for yourself?
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
The whole point of punk is that it really doesn't matter what you play as long as you kick ass and sing about stuff that's important to you and cut out the bullshit.

Spending that much on a guitar might negate the punk spirit somewhat though.
Jim Heath from Reverend Horton Heat uses a Gretch and some of their stuff is quite punky.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Godin Velocity
Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt
AMT WH1 Japanese Girl Wah
Marshall BB-2 Boost/OD
Joyo JF-07 Classic Flanger
Joyo JF-37 Analog Chorus
Quote by Mephaphil
The whole point of punk is that it really doesn't matter what you play as long as you kick ass and sing about stuff that's important to you and cut out the bullshit.

Spending that much on a guitar might negate the punk spirit somewhat though.

Nah I used a PRS to play punk for years. Good punk bands actually care about their gear and sound, and don't give me the Sex Pistols used what ever, because they suck.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Nah I used a PRS to play punk for years. Good punk bands actually care about their gear and sound, and don't give me the Sex Pistols used what ever, because they suck.

sending a big luggie your way for sex pistols. back in the day using whatever was the plan for punk. now it's a "style" with recommended gear like any other genre.

for the bands mentioned I'd think there'd be better options than that particular gretsch . I'd go with something like a silver jet myself.
Quote by monwobobbo
sending a big luggie your way for sex pistols. back in the day using whatever was the plan for punk. now it's a "style" with recommended gear like any other genre.

for the bands mentioned I'd think there'd be better options than that particular gretsch . I'd go with something like a silver jet myself.

Yeah I love punk, but most of the early stuff is horrid. I don't even like early Bad Religion, and Black flag and the Misfits were really horrid

It was bands like NOFX, Operation Ivy and Pennywise that showed people punk didn't have to sound like shite to be a punk band

I'd rather listen to Poison than The Dead Kennedy's and 80% of the music I listen to is punk
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Yeah I love punk, but most of the early stuff is horrid. I don't even like early Bad Religion, and Black flag and the Misfits were really horrid

It was bands like NOFX, Operation Ivy and Pennywise that showed people punk didn't have to sound like shite to be a punk band

I'd rather listen to Poison than The Dead Kennedy's and 80% of the music I listen to is punk

sorry your punk as **** cred is dropping by the minute. I like all the bands you mentioned. add in The Dead Boys and the Germs as well as a host of other late 70s - early 80s punk bands. my brother wrote a book on punk rock compilation albums. more of a hard rock / metal guy myself.
Quote by monwobobbo
sorry your punk as **** cred is dropping by the minute. I like all the bands you mentioned. add in The Dead Boys and the Germs as well as a host of other late 70s - early 80s punk bands. my brother wrote a book on punk rock compilation albums. more of a hard rock / metal guy myself.

I don't need "punk cred", but I do know what I do and don't like in music and most early punk is not on my list

The lead singer of my Punk/hardcore band loves early punk, I like the messages they had, but not fond of the delivery.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly

Sure, use whatever you want, that's the whole point. But the DIY ethos of punk doesn't include spending thousands on instruments. Do it if you want, but it's more about using whatever you can to make music. You don't need PRS/Suhr to make great punk rock.

The punk I know of the Clash, the Ramones, the Dead Kennedy's, the Slits is possibly not the punk that you're talking about.

The Pistols didn't suck, HipsterGnarly.
Last edited by Mephaphil at Feb 2, 2014,
Quote by Mephaphil
Sure, use whatever you want, that's the whole point. But the DIY ethos of punk doesn't include spending thousands on instruments. Do it if you want, but it's more about using whatever you can to make music. You don't need PRS/Suhr to make great punk rock.

The punk I know of the Clash, the Ramones, the Dead Kennedy's, the Slits is possibly not the punk that you're talking about.

The Pistols didn't suck, HipsterGnarly.

So now I'm a hipster

I didn't mean you have to buy high end gear, I meant that most punk these days (post '88ish) actually do want a good sound and they care about musicianship. There were some older bands that were like this, but the majority were not.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by BlueIceBox
Jim Heath from Reverend Horton Heat uses a Gretch and some of their stuff is quite punky.

Good point!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Robbgnarly
So now I'm a hipster

I didn't mean you have to buy high end gear, I meant that most punk these days (post '88ish) actually do want a good sound and they care about musicianship. There were some older bands that were like this, but the majority were not.

we're just busting your balls. even many of the old bands cared way more than they let on.