Hi fellas, I'm in need of a new guitar cable. The best one I used was the "Bullet coil cable". Used it for for about a year, absolutely no problem. Gave it to a friend some time ago and I can't buy another one because their site doesn't work and they are not responding to e-mails. Could be out of business, I don't know what is happening.
As a replacement I used my PRS SE cable that came with my guitar. Absolute garbage, noisy as hell(switch to the drive channel and you really couldn't play because of the horrible hum), I cut it open when I got sick of it and what I found inside is..not much. No shielding at all

What I'm searching for is a well shielded, reliable, rugged cable. I've owned some different cables before the Bullet one(Fender, Snake, Rotosound) and all of them at some point had a jack problem. It would become noisy when moved sometimes, guess it went loose.

So, a great cable please?
Thank you
There’s a star in the northern sky
Captivating me as I walk by
Showing me what I can become
Leave behind what is lost or won
lava cables are awesome. lifetime guarantee. i use the blue demons - they're pretty well priced, sound great, and are durable.

edit: just putting it out there before anyone else does - don't get monster cables. that company is a pack of ****s.
Last edited by NakedInTheRain at Feb 2, 2014,
I only ever use Livewire cables. They come with a lifetime guarantee, but I've never needed to use it.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I use Livewire as well. Lifetime replacement at any Guitar Center. The elite's jacks feel nicer than the regular ones but both have the warranty.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Livewire is nice
Mogami is awesome but expensive
Monster is OK
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Thanks for all the replies, but what about the George L's cables? Saw some great reviews and they are reasonably priced.
Quote by Icy_Lights
Thanks for all the replies, but what about the George L's cables? Saw some great reviews and they are reasonably priced.

Yeah, they are nice also.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Just stay away from Monster. I bought a pair of Monster Rock Cables about 10 years ago and have replaced them at least once a year. They break more easily than any cable I've ever used. The plug is bigger than any other company so the fit is tight and has ruined a few of my jacks. The lifetime warranty is good though. When the POS breaks they always replace it. And the barrel part is GLUED in

I've used Dimarzio, Mogami, Fender, Livewire, George Ls, and Planet Waves solder-less kit. No issues with any of them. Currently use all Mogami Golds all around and don't ever see having issues with these.

These are my broke Monster Rock cables now. Less than a year old. Going back for exchange. Notice the gratuitous use of GLUE inside the 90 degree plug. lol.
Last edited by cheesefries at Feb 2, 2014,
wow. never using monster ever
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by GaryBillington
I only ever use Livewire cables. They come with a lifetime guarantee, but I've never needed to use it.

Same here, I've only used it once.

Next time I get a cable I'm gonna try out their Elite line. They look nice.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by ikey_
wow. never using monster ever

Monster cables are sold everywhere though so when they break they give you a new set no questions asked. No receipt needed. And you can find a store that stocks them in most cities. Been to a lot of new shops and cool people just traveling to replace this monster cable. I guess I would say.... when you buy a monster cable you are not just buying a cable... YOU ARE BUYING AN EXPERIENCE

So I'll give that to Monster
Last edited by cheesefries at Feb 2, 2014,
Quote by cheesefries
Monster cables are sold everywhere though so when they break they give you a new set no questions asked. No receipt needed. And you can find a store that stocks them in most cities. Been to a lot of new shops and cool people just traveling to replace this monster cable. I guess I would say.... when you buy a monster cable you are not just buying a cable... YOU ARE BUYING AN EXPERIENCE

So I'll give that to Monster

+1 for that, but -several million for poor QC and this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monster_cables#Trademark_disputes
Just replaced all my guitar cables on my 7 cable snake with peavey cables. You cant go wrong when a cable shits out and you take it in the shop, and they hand you a brand new one no questions asked. The george ls and lava are udder shit. The monsters are next shit. Then planet waves. Eek! Mogami are nice tho.
Thanks for all the replies, now I have an idea about these cables.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
+1 for that, but -several million for poor QC and this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monster_cables#Trademark_disputes

That is hilarious. They tried to sue Disney over Monsters Inc. products? hahaha.

Also explains why my Monster Earphones i got at christmas broke within a week. Replaced with some nice sennheiser. I DIGRESS!

If you're in the UK or there abouts, i've bought cables recently from http://www.kablonline.com and http://www.designacable.com/

These seems to be really great on a budget; neutrik jacks and heavy duty van damme cables. Would recommend them. Either website offers a customisation; different lengths, straight or angles jacks etc.
Design a cable even offers different cable colours/material (including a rather classy tweed...)
Quote by jaybals
That is hilarious. They tried to sue Disney over Monsters Inc. products? hahaha.

Also explains why my Monster Earphones i got at christmas broke within a week. Replaced with some nice sennheiser. I DIGRESS!

If you're in the UK or there abouts, i've bought cables recently from http://www.kablonline.com and http://www.designacable.com/

These seems to be really great on a budget; neutrik jacks and heavy duty van damme cables. Would recommend them. Either website offers a customisation; different lengths, straight or angles jacks etc.
Design a cable even offers different cable colours/material (including a rather classy tweed...)

Good idea recommending those sites!

If you are from the USA there is

www.redco.com

They do the custom cable thing like the guys above. Don't think they do the colors though. You do save a lot of money going the custom cable route.
Quote by SunshineMusicO
how do Redcos sound and perform in the long run?

as good as anyone.

They have most brands of cables including Mogami. And you can choose your cable ends from straight/90* ends to neutrick jacks. If you want to save even more money you can just buy the quality cable in bulk and solder it yourself. You can make the exact cable at the store for 1/4 the price or less. Redco is just the middleman who will fit and solder everything to your specs. And they do an excellent job for a good price

-----------------
EDIT.... dont know what changed. I spec'd a cable that cost me $24 last year and its now $40. Eh not the bargains they used to be.
Last edited by cheesefries at Feb 3, 2014,
Lava gets my vote, I have two of the coils and 2 normal ones that honestly I don't remember what the name of them are, but I've never had a problem with either. You know who else makes a good cable, Proco.

Although I've never used one I've heard really bad things about George L's...
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
Damn I guess I'll be getting all mogami cables for my guitar and pedal board I just priced it out <$70 form redco. That is insanely cheap
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
A buddy of mine had a Monster cable tip come off in his FX loop jack. It was a pain to get out.
Ive got two Fender California series cables and I like them. They seem well made and have lifetime warranty.