My full setup is in my sig, but basically I have a few pedals, then my amp, then a Zoom G3 in my amp's loop which I use for modulations, delay and most crucially to this thread, I use it as my tuner.

My Laney VC30 is an awesome amp in every way, but it works slightly differently to a lot of other amps in that instead of just running the full signal through the effects loop, it mixes the effected signal over an uneffected signal so you can control the level of the effects vs your pure signal.

And that is the problem. When tuning between songs at gigs, even though the G3 mutes it's output back to the amp, it doesn't silence the uneffected signal which is still amplified.

Obviously I can turn the volume on my guitar down to silence it, but then I'm not getting any signal to tune to either so I need to leave some sound coming out of my amp. It's not a major issue, but my singer does find it slightly annoying that he has to talk over me when I tune between songs.

The only solution I can think of is to buy a standalone tuner to put it in the chain before my amp (probably a TC Polytune Mini due to it's size, I don't have much space left on my board), but I don't want to have to spend money on a pedal I don't really need because I already have a perfectly good tuner built into my G3.

Any ideas to resolve it that I haven't thought of?
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by NakedInTheRain
can the effects loop go 100% wet?

I haven't used the FX loop on my VC30 in a while, but I don't think it can, and that might even be the reason I stopped using it IIRC If you turn the FX level up all the way you're boosting the FX level, but not lowering the "dry" signal level.

I don't think there is another way to solve this problem without using a pedal tuner in front of the amp. It's just the way the VC30 FX loop works. I think Laney changed this design more recently though.

EDIT: or, if you're running the amp clean and using pedals for your distortion, you could try putting the zoom G3 in front of your amp instead.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
can the effects loop go 100% wet?
You can turn it up to 10, but that just means the signal from the loop is equal to the uneffected signal.

Quote by Blompcube
I haven't used the FX loop on my VC30 in a while, but I don't think it can, and that might even be the reason I stopped using it IIRC If you turn the FX level up all the way you're boosting the FX level, but not lowering the "dry" signal level.

I don't think there is another way to solve this problem without using a pedal tuner in front of the amp. It's just the way the VC30 FX loop works. I think Laney changed this design more recently though.

EDIT: or, if you're running the amp clean and using pedals for your distortion, you could try putting the zoom G3 in front of your amp instead.
I use pedals for distortion, but I also use the drive channel as my lead sound so I need the G3 after the amp.

To be honest what you said is the answer I expected and I knew that was how the loop worked when I bought the amp - I just hadn't thought about this particular scenario! I figured it was worth asking to see if anyone had found a way to work around it but my expectations of finding a successful solution without buying a tuner pedal is pretty low.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Feb 2, 2014,