I took the advice of our english friend/member and got the guitar link from a music store.I did some guitar rig stuffs,but still no clear sound .(just as like as the sound I had with 1/4 to 1/8).
Any Idea ?
Shoud I buy a sound card to get a better sound from guitar rig or it's because of my poor grx70 ibanez ?
Chances are the lack of clarity isn't coming from the guitar link, or the guitar's hardware. I'd hazard a guess that the issue either stems from the setup of your amp sim, or your playing technique.
Quote by siros11
Shoud I buy a sound card to get a better sound from guitar rig or it's because of my poor grx70 ibanez ?
The sound card is an audio interface as much as the guitar link is, so getting another one wouldn't change anything.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by chatterbox272
Chances are the lack of clarity isn't coming from the guitar link, or the guitar's hardware. I'd hazard a guess that the issue either stems from the setup of your amp sim, or your playing technique.

,Sorry I couldn't help making out what you say in your British lovely lilt !
Last edited by siros11 at Feb 2, 2014,
Quote by Spambot_2
The sound card is an audio interface as much as the guitar link is, so getting another one wouldn't change anything.

YOU MEAN "GUITAR LINK" ACTS AS A SOUND CARD ??!!!!!!!!!!!

skal-tal-ti-poora-do aquila.
dordera ,la'more,chakare....sera enjorno nashera,
imbemboge dira.io no !!!

(IO No by Anna Oxa) !!!!
Quote by siros11
YOU MEAN "GUITAR LINK" ACTS AS A SOUND CARD ??!!!!!!!!!!!

That's the whole point of getting one. It's a sound card that's designed to record instruments. Now, are you going to record something and show us how it sounds?
Ok, so here's my thoughts on it - playing isn't that great (no offence), with off-timing and not too clear/catching unwanted strings perhaps; too much gain for the tone you'd need and that may be causing the 'crackling' unwanted distortion; have you made sure you aren't using a faulty guitar cable between the guitar and the guitar link? Probably a combination of some of that. Otherwise, if played clean enough there's nothing wrong with that sound although you have too much reverb for that to sit nicely in most mixes.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by siros11
,Sorry I couldn't help making out what you say in your British lovely lilt !

British! BRITISH! I'M F*CKING AUSSIE DAMMIT!
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Ok, so here's my thoughts on it - playing isn't that great (no offence), with off-timing and not too clear/catching unwanted strings perhaps; too much gain for the tone you'd need and that may be causing the 'crackling' unwanted distortion; have you made sure you aren't using a faulty guitar cable between the guitar and the guitar link? Probably a combination of some of that. Otherwise, if played clean enough there's nothing wrong with that sound although you have too much reverb for that to sit nicely in most mixes.

Thank you for you advice.
In fact I am a rhythm guitar guy,playing 19 songs out of Metallica's greatest songs (the rhythm guitar parts while playing them in front of the monitor by Guitarpro and its assiciated sound banks,everyday).
the truth of matter is,I wanted to record the rythym guitar and put it out here but "the sound for rhythm guitar was terrible enough through the damn guitar rig" so I regreted to record it.that was why I switched to Lead guitar and fade to black stuff solo (I am not a lead guitar) and chose the best preset which was 80's solo (in the guitar rig) but still no good sound.

I've written 8 original songs (in Thrash/classical Metal style) all in Guitar Pro and was looking for a way to record them for release.
I had a go at "Guitar rig" and Fl studio and know a rudimentary of both but still no good sound is coming out off my guitar and finally I knew I'd just better move on to the next spawn called "shreddage 2" and record my album using that.
but still doubtful if I could make it through shreddage or just record my album using a real instrument I got.

(I have heard the sound for shreddage 2 and it sounds like Evanescence terrible album but I am aiming to make a record which sounds like (or nearly like) Black album from Metallica)
Last edited by siros11 at Feb 3, 2014,
Quote by Cavalcade
Are you just using a preset in Guitar Rig? Have you tried experimenting with the EQ to get an appropriate tone?

I have tried "tapedeck pre" and "tapedeck post" but still the terrible sounds !

What I know for sure : "GUITAR RIG IS A GOOD INSTRUMENT FOR REHEARSING NOT RECORDING"

I'd rather use "shreddage 2" which has a 2.8 G soundbank,while guitar rig is like 600M .Last mag !
Last edited by siros11 at Feb 3, 2014,
So you haven't even tried changing the knobs and settings, and trying to get a good tone out of Guitar Rig? If you haven't, then that's your fault, not Guitar Rig's. Many professional musicians have recorded albums using Guitar Rig, and got great sound out of it. If you're not patient enough to experiment with the settings, and spend some time trying to get a good tone, then maybe you don't deserve it.
^ name three
If ya ask me, guitar rig is good if ya wanna start off, but it doesn't really sound good.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Cavalcade
So you haven't even tried changing the knobs and settings, and trying to get a good tone out of Guitar Rig? If you haven't, then that's your fault, not Guitar Rig's. Many professional musicians have recorded albums using Guitar Rig, and got great sound out of it. If you're not patient enough to experiment with the settings, and spend some time trying to get a good tone, then maybe you don't deserve it.

"knobs and settings" like what ?
Isn't that right a preset itself has all the tones adjusted ?!
It's so blatent that guitar rig has a poor soundbank .(only 600M compared to 2.8G shreddage 2).

Still can't get a good sound from guitar rig.tried so many guitars with it and finally found a decision to just install shreddage 2 and let it set.

(Nobody can get a "recordable,releasable! sound" from guitar rig.(for what I aim to get.)
Quote by Spambot_2
^ name three

That was easy
Kirk Hammett, Trent Reznor, Munky, Vernon Reid, Stef Carpenter, Dweezil Zappa, etc

Next.
Quote by siros11
It's so blatent that guitar rig has a poor soundbank .(only 600M compared to 2.8G shreddage 2).

Still can't get a good sound from guitar rig.tried so many guitars with it and finally found a decision to just install shreddage 2 and let it set.

(Nobody can get a "recordable,releasable! sound" from guitar rig.(for what I aim to get.)

Listen.

Nobody, EVER, should expect someone else's preset to be perfect for them.

Ever.

Every idiot thinks they can just torrent a copy of Pod Farm, and download a random "OMG JOEY STURGIS PODFARM" preset from the internet, and instantly sound like any of the bands Joey Sturgis has produced for. That's why they're idiots.

You can start with a preset, but if someone else made that preset, they made it so that it sounds good for their guitar, their interface, their pickups, and their playing style.

You
WILL
need to change the settings, so that they sound good for
YOU.
YOUR guitar, YOUR interface, YOUR pickups, and YOUR playing.

When you open a preset in Guitar Rig, you'll see a picture of an amp head, an amp cabinet, and a few pedals. They have knobs and sliders on them. Those knobs and sliders are what you need to adjust.

Those people I mentioned earlier in this post? They got a "recordable,releasable! sound" from Guitar Rig, because they changed those knobs, because they took five goddamn minutes to experiment and find a sound that worked for them.

This is very basic stuff. If you don't understand what I'm trying to say, and if you can't be bothered to be patient and find your own settings, then you will never have good tone. Not with Guitar Rig, not with Shreddage, not with a $3000 Mesa head and a custom $2000 cabinet.

Save your money. You don't need to buy more expensive equipment. The problem isn't your gear. The problem is you.

Read this post again, then read it again until you understand it.

I'm done with this guy. If someone else (with a higher tolerance for thick-headed bullshit) wants to rephrase everything I just said in a nicer way, go for it.
Last edited by Cavalcade at Feb 3, 2014,
I just re-read your post, and holy shit, there's some really bad stuff I missed the first time.
Quote by siros11

They are completely different programs. Guitar Rig doesn't make any sound on its own, it just changes the sound coming out of your guitar. 600 MB is actually a lot for a program like Guitar Rig. Shreddage has guitar sounds, too. They take up way more space. Some sample libraries are hundreds of GB. And if you're seriously comparing them just by how much space they take up, that's just stupid.
Quote by siros11

Yes, FOR SOMEONE ELSE. Not you.
>new to recording
>expects it to sound amazing.

Nahm8
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by Cavalcade
That was easy

Next.

Those people I mentioned earlier in this post? They got a "recordable,releasable! sound" from Guitar Rig, because they changed those knobs, because they took five goddamn minutes to experiment and find a sound that worked for them.
c'm on, they're testimonials, don't tell you believe they'll ever sell or they've ever sold something that had guitars processed with guitar rig.

Damn you have the Zakk Wylde MG15 stack, you think he actually played guitar through that on an album of his?

Anyway TS, you gotta do two things:
-Get better at playing
-find out what each knob on each panel do and figure out how you like them set

I think it's a better thing to expect having something good sounding at he beginning, I'm sick and tired of people who're start their posts with "I know I'm not gonna get a good sound" like they're not even trying.
C'm on people you're making music and you have all the means to make it good sounding, stop bitching and make it sound good.

On the other hand TS, it's not your gear the main problem here.
Expecting presets to sound perfect is like expecting to perfectly fit in James hetfield's shoes.
They're his shoes, not yours.
He has different feet, with different length and height and width, so you want the best shoes for you, not for him, even if you wanna be like him.
He has his favorite shoes so you gotta find shoes that fits YOU perfectly, and then you'll be close to him than you're now trying to fit in his shoes obtaining not really good results.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by siros11

Ok, right... here's where I struggle to remain polite...

You are, at best, a complete beginner to the world of recording and sound engineering. You are also trying to tell us that we're wrong about something and you're right... even though you know next to nothing about the subject.

1) 'soundbank' is completely the wrong term... Guitar Rig is just a load of algorithms designed to filter and manipulate incoming audio, and process it in a way that simulates a guitar amp; Shreddage is, essentially, a huge sample pack... this leads me to:

2) The size of a file means absolutely nothing. It has no relation whatsoever to the quality of the product.

3) 'For what you aim to get' is not in any way beyond our goals (have you released any music commercially, to any critical acclaim?). We are just more realistic in our ambitions and understand the limitations of our gear and talents. You clearly don't.

Bottom line - your guitar playing is letting you down the most. It might hurt to accept that, but that is what is preventing your recordings of your guitar from sounding professional. Play the guitar well, and the tone comes from the fingers as well as the gear. You are also only using presets

Presets are starting points for beginners to use to learn how to achieve certain basic sounds. No decent engineer will EVER recommend using presets in your mixes, they are a starting point and nothing else. You will not find a preset that works in all your music - the decisions made when setting various parameters are impacted by all sorts of different factors, and cannot apply to lots of situations. Until you understand this, you may as well just ask somebody else to record and mix your ideas for you.

If you refuse to listen to the advice people are taking the time to give you, we may as well just ignore you because nobody is getting anywhere.

For the last time: Shreddage is not a recording device, it's a software instrument emulating a guitar; Guitar Rig is an amp simulator and does different things. If the only thing different is that you're playing through one, and the computer is 'playing' through the other, clearly the weak link is not a program successfully used by thousands of other people.
Hey guys Don't you make fun of me,I am a freaking Vocalist + Rhythm Guitar (not a Lead guitar doing a clean and precise solo !) playing for 6 years and new to recording.(but not so unfamiliar).

I have an idea and I think it works !
Listen up :

Most of you guys play guitar rig in FL studio and change the Guitar rig's amp and EQ in a Daw like FL studio.
But I have a different idea!
I export midi file from guitar pro and play it by shreddage 2 in FL studio(chosing the best TONE for it).then I export the file and once again,I open the FL studio but this time I use your sacred ! guitar rig only its AMPS and EQUALIZERS.

I found the guitar rig a good tool ,ONLY FOR ITS AMPS.
Last edited by siros11 at Feb 4, 2014,
OK, i got here a bit too late, but i want to assure that guitar ring tho not the best is def a great amp sim. pod farm is now my go to cuz i have the pod toneport ux2, but Guitar rig is definitely not terrible, for one it has great GREAT bass tones.

some examples of old recordings i did using guitar rig

an original

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/mikevmpr3/music/play1123548

ABRB air force one (sloppy but no fux )

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/mikevmpr3/music/all/play1112942

EDIT:

Heres one of my favorite orginals

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/mikevmpr3/music/play1109264

DOUBLE EDIT (lol)

One thing thats also important is having a correct single chain. ie: on the third song the chain was Gate---compressor---Screamer like overdrive--- Van 51---- V30 cab impulse response ---and most important to clean up tone and EQ with filters on high and low to cut out hiss and boom. Like someone said before massive amounts of distortion/drive/gain on the amp is not exactly the best idea due to excess noise. My signal chains get ridiculous on pod farm but its the work that goes into recording and getting a pristine sound. No need to get mad on here, listen to what people have to say and implement the ideas or guidelines. Recording a studio like soung doesnt happen over night. Heres one last song to get an idea of where i am after struggling for 6 years to get my mixes to sound right. Its a song by a local band im recording.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/mikevmpr3/music/all/play1244851
-----------------------------------------------
--The GEAR--
Horizon Devices - Precision Drive
AMT D2 Preamp
Boss TU-2
Boss- CS 2
BBE- Green SCREAMER
ESP,LTD MH- 250 NT ,
fitted with SEYMORE DUNCAN NAZGUL AND SENTIENT
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by mikevmpr3 at Feb 4, 2014,
Quote by siros11
Hey guys Don't you make fun of me,I am a freaking Vocalist + Rhythm Guitar (not a Lead guitar doing a clean and precise solo !) playing for 6 years and new to recording.(but not so unfamiliar).

Listen up :

Most of you guys play guitar rig in FL studio and change the Guitar rig's amp and EQ in a Daw like FL studio.
I export midi file from guitar pro and play it by shreddage 2 in FL studio(chosing the best TONE for it).then I export the file and once again,I open the FL studio but this time I use your sacred ! guitar rig only its AMPS and EQUALIZERS.

I think you're in your own little world at this point. Come say hey when you decide to actually listen to the people who have far more experience in the matter than you.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by siros11

Listen up :

What a coincidence, I've been playing guitar for six years too, and the other guys here have been playing longer. But more importantly, we've all had way more experience recording music than you. That's what you're here for: recording.

Now, speaking as someone who's been recording music for five years, if you use Shreddage and presets for everything, instead of learning to get a good tone yourself, you'll never get to use those six years of guitar playing, since you're not actually recording yourself playing guitar.

More importantly, speaking as someone who's been alive for 22 years, if you never listen to what other people say when they're trying to help you (and YOU asked for that help), you will die alone and poor, and nobody will care.
Quote by siros11

I'm a bassist (6 years), trombonist (9 years), vocalist (1 year), guitarist (2 years), what's your point?

Quote by siros11

Listen up :

This doesn't make much sense, if English isn't your first language then fair enough, but if it is you might wanna go take some classes.

Quote by siros11

Guitar Rig is only capable of emulating amps and effects. You have to play something into it (typically a guitar DI) or it won't do anything. Shreddage simply imitates the guitar DI with a synthetically produced one from the MIDI file.

Quote by siros11

THAT'S BECAUSE THAT'S ALL IT CAN DO
To add to the rest:

I've been recording and sound engineering longer than you, siros1, have played guitar; and I've been playing guitar for over 17 years, since I was 7 years old. I appreciate you might not like or agree with our advice, but you asked for it so at least have the respect to listen to what people are saying when tbey're trying to help you.

I have an idea for proving to you the problem, but until I get home I won't be able to do so.
Actual recording knowledge aside Spambot is right. Pre-sets are just a shortcut to finding a sound that hopefully is 50% of what you are looking for. No matter what amp, effect or software you are using the pre-sets are just a quick shortcut from which you can start to make your own sounds and then save them for future use. I have two modeling amps with 100 presets in each. For the most part all the prsets are terrible as far as I am concerned but you start with one that may have some interesting feature, adjust stuff and save it under another name. Now it's my sound. If you can't get what you are looking for in the software you probably didn't take time to make changes or you don't understand how to make changes. If that's the case take the final step and "read the instuctions". Don't get to bummed out. We have all been through it.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Feb 6, 2014,
^ This post just reminded me I said I had an idea to prove this. Busy again now (off to a gig in a bit) but I'll upload a short-ish clip of a demo I've been working on lately (not giving away any commercial material for free ) for my band, and see what TS can do with it using amp sims etc.

It will be (for TS' benefit, I won't leave anything requiring plug-ins beyond the guitar amp sims, e.g. Guitar Rig)

Stereo bounce of programmed drums (in SSD4)
Bass track (consisting of clean bass and dist. bass bounced as one)
Clean guitar DI's for all guitar parts involved.
Example of how that clip sounds in my DAW, with my settings.

If TS feels unhappy with his results, compared to mine, we can be certain that it is not because amp sims are bad and that it is down to either the playing, the quality of the DI (kinda related) and/or his knowledge of using Guitar Rig/amp sims. Hopefully this will at least allow him to realise that it is not failing to match his expectations simply because Guitar Rig is unusable.
Quote by siros11

Listen up :

Maybe because it's an amp simulator...?

What the hell are you talking about, man? I'm not even sure you have a point you're trying to convey anymore
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
>is a rhythm guitarist
>can't play easy start of solo in time

Sorry, I have no experience with recording but I would still fiddle around with the EQ's to get a sound I liked, just like a real amplifier.
Quote by siros11
I took the advice of our english friend/member and got the guitar link from a music store.I did some guitar rig stuffs,but still no clear sound .(just as like as the sound I had with 1/4 to 1/8).
Any Idea ?

Did you use an EQ in your DAW to clean the guitar up? Did you also EQ any other instruments? Without a clip, we really can't do more than guess...

A better soundcard wouldn't help at all, btw, since GuitarLink basically "replaces" your sound card while recording. The GuitarLink is optimized for instrument recording. So, the quality of your PC's main soundcard will have nothing to do with the quality of recordings done with GuitarLink.

Edit:
Ok, after properly reading the thread, it's clear to me that the OP is doing his own oddball thing. Suggestion: Take what in this thread have said and use that advice to your advantage. Alternative is to continue having your guitar sound like ass.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Feb 6, 2014,