Hi there,

I posted this under 'guitar techniques' but didn't get an responses I was wondering if anyone here could give me some advice please. I'am returning to guitar playing after a 2 year break, I have been playing again for about 3 weeks.

One of the songs I' am learning calls for a capo on the 5th fret. Whenever I fret the b string say for chords C and Am when I'am changing chords it makes this horrible slidey, buzzy sound. It is only on the B string and only when I play with a capo as far up as fret 5. Could it be to do with the action? My action isn't great as it's only a cheap acoustic. I' am finding I'am having to press down very hard on the b string when I'' am using the capo of fret 5. And I'am having to keep this finger very very still, if it moves a millimetre it makes this awful sound.

I know I could transpose the song to make it easier but it's bugging me.

Thanks
tough one. might be a humdity issue, neck warpage issue, dead strings, bad technique.
i'd start with a new set of strings.
send me the guitar(if it's valued at over $2500) and i'll check it out !
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
What kind of capo do you have? Some won't maintain enough pressure evenly across the fretboard.

Other than that, it could also be any of the issues stepchild has mentioned.

I will say this, capos normally make a guitar easier to fret than an open neck. This is because you're taking the top nut clearance out of play. Usually, the hardest place to barre a guitar is at the first fret, since you have to overcome the string clearance , and leverage is poor down low on the neck.

You can easily prove this to yourself, Play an open E major chord. Then try to play an F major barre chord. Put a capo on the 1st fret. You should find that both the open E shape, and the F shape barre chord are now easier to play.

But, if the action is too low, or you have a high fret, it may buzz a bit.

The easiest place to barre the guitar, should be around the 5th to 7th fret. You have better leverage there. Where you're putting the capo, is right in that "sweet spot".

You could have a high fret, improper neck relief, or a faulty capo.