i scored a new 6505 and orange 4X12 cab last week. i had a 5150 fja mod back in the day and i cant seem to get this current 6505 to sound as good as the old amp. right now im using an od808 and decimator ll in the mix. with y'alls personal experience, what can i add to the mix to get a tight, low end chunky tone with out it flubbing out? right now im in drop A#. i switch around from drop c,b, and a#. im not in a band, just jam at the house.

here's my settings...

lead pre-gain-5
low-10
mid-4
high-7
lead post gain-2.5
resonance-10
presence-5

od808

drive-0
balance-maxed
tone-2:30
FJA mod this one?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Don't tune to A

or get the amp moded like R45VT said
have you tried an EQ pedal in the loop?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
EQ pedal with low-mids boosted rather than having your bass cranked on the amp. I've found that my 6505+ (though a different amp) sounds best with the bass and resonance less than 7, usually around 6.5, both of them. Then, I boost the 125hz range on my MXR 10-band. This keeps it sounding huge and thick, but still very tight. I also put an upper-mid spike in the EQ as well, to preserve the sound of the attack and keep some grind. I cut the highest frequency almost all the way to completely eliminate fizz. Basically, what I'm saying is GET AN EQ PEDAL, lol.

Pickups make a huge difference too. I run my pre-gain at around 3.5 if cranked (2.2 and above on post gain), a little higher if at bedroom volumes. But I have Seymour Duncan Blackouts which may push the front end of the amp a little harder than what you have. Too much gain in your preamp will hinder the tightness you get.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
^ I missed the bass maxed, yeah take some bass out
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
i have a schecter sls 6 string with black-outs. using EXL117 Nickel Wound, Medium Top/Extra-Heavy Bottom, 11-56 D'addario's. i messed with the action to lower it. i think i need to raise it a hair. there's some slight fret buzz.
Quote by R45VT
FJA mod this one?

the mod i want jerry to do is his metal mod. it's very expensive. like $785 to be exact. wouldnt that be a little over-kill for someone not using the amp professionally?

in this video, buddy uses a bbe maximizer. sounds very solid. wonder if i should use the bbe or an mxr 10 band eq pedal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1H9WYC0rTE
That sounds like a bad volume swell is going on
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
That sounds like a bad volume swell is going on

maybe, but his tone is pretty good
Quote by Count FurFur
i have a schecter sls 6 string with black-outs. using EXL117 Nickel Wound, Medium Top/Extra-Heavy Bottom, 11-56 D'addario's. i messed with the action to lower it. i think i need to raise it a hair. there's some slight fret buzz.

I would never use 11 - 56 for drop A#. I would get something thicker.
Quote by Count FurFur

Here's one of your main problems. I barely get enough tension in drop B on my Schecter (mainly on the top string) with a 0.59-0.13 set. You probably have flub for years at the moment.

I suggest a new set of strings before you mess with the amp. get a 0.62 - 0.13 set or something along those lines.
You can order custom sets of strings for cheap from here www.nakedstrings.com
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by JackovSlayer
I would never use 11 - 56 for drop A#. I would get something thicker.

+1. For my 7 string in B, a 59 was already flubby, a 56 in drop A# sounds like a recipe for spaghetti I'd recommend a 62 or 64.
Quote by Count FurFur
the mod i want jerry to do is his metal mod. it's very expensive. like $785 to be exact. wouldnt that be a little over-kill for someone not using the amp professionally?

No. This is a ridiculous argument and I hate it. Tone is for YOU. The audience doesn't matter. They can't tell the difference between an MG and a 2203 most of the time. You can. You care.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
No. This is a ridiculous argument and I hate it. Tone is for YOU. The audience doesn't matter. They can't tell the difference between an MG and a 2203 most of the time. You can. You care.

^ +1
Flubbing out? A 6505? You cray cray?

First of all.. I'd stop turning up your bass to 10 and the resonance to 10... that'd help.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Sort the EQ out mainly..

Most of my knobs are at noon or a number or two off either way (apart from pre and post gain)

Low/High on my clean/crunch channel are at 3oclock mids vary. Lead channel everything its at noon apart from post gain.

Running a MXR 10band in the loop and an OD in front too. Get a very Parkway Drive sound out of my amp
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals