Page 1 of 2
http://bcrich.com/shape/kerry%20king/guitars/9

They did it. They crossed the line. They said goodbye to their EMG' s and USA kahlers and replaced them with their own crappy, china-made "hardware".

I don't know about you guys, but who else thinks that BC Rich have shot themselves in the foot?

I'm sure glad that I got my Kerry King Sig before this.

And it's not just the Kerry King signatures, other good models have been "Updated" to the new crap quality.
Last edited by Espace39 at Feb 2, 2014,
Perhaps it's because BC Rich finally realized that no 12 year old kid who is willing to buy a Kerry King guitar could afford a higher-end one.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Feb 2, 2014,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Perhaps it's because BC Rich finally realized that no 12 year old kid who is willing to buy a Kerry King guitar could afford a higher-end one.

But did you know that other models are gone too?
Quote by Espace39
But did you know that other models are gone too?

I don't really have a vested interest in BC Rich's sig guitars, so I wouldn't really care to know.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
BC Rich is just one of those brands that don't offer anything, at least to me. I can think of half a dozen other brands I'd more rather buy in any price range. This just means that they are even less appealing.
Quote by Espace39
http://bcrich.com/shape/kerry%20king/guitars/9

They did it. They crossed the line. They said goodbye to their EMG' s and USA kahlers and replaced them with their own crappy, china-made "hardware".

I don't know about you guys, but who else thinks that BC Rich have shot themselves in the foot?

I'm sure glad that I got my Kerry King Sig before this.

And it's not just the Kerry King signatures, other good models have been "Updated" to the new crap quality.

I think they shot themselves in the foot in the late 1980's

Besides most people wouldn't spend that much on a BC Rich especially a KK sig
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Well this isn't a surprise... BC Rich guitar's appeal to teenage guitar wannabe's, i've never played a higher end BC Rich and thought, "I'll take this over my hand crafted Ibanez UV777!" Nope, not happening.
Quote by guitar/bass95
BC Rich is just one of those brands that don't offer anything, at least to me. I can think of half a dozen other brands I'd more rather buy in any price range. This just means that they are even less appealing.

euyyep
ayy lmao
Meh. BC Rich never appealed to any one except teenagers trying to look Br0otz imo. So many better guitars out there for the $.
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
ESP Eclipse II FM JB/Jazz
ESP M-II Deluxe EMG 81/SA
Marshall JCM2000 DSL/ JCM800 1960a cab
Tama Drums/ Sabian
I had a Kerry King V once, a high end version as well. I thought it was a great guitar until I got my Schecter 7 string, which blew it completely out of the water in every way possible. I ended up trading the V for a used LTD H-300. Which is much better. I haven't played a lot of the models they have, but for the price of a high end B.C Rich, you could easily get an Ibanez, Schecter or other countless guitar brands that vastly out perform it for cheaper.
I know people bitch about them, but the Mockingbird ST and the Gunslinger Retro (Which I own the latter) are great instruments, especially the first year models. 4 year old guitar, bought it for $400, came stock with a DiMarzio SD and OFR... Plus an oil finished neck... The only problems with em were fret ends but that's acceptable to me, who knows where previous owners stored it etc...

But as for the actual topic... Don't Kerr-y *budum tsh*
Quote by So-Cal
Incest is wincest!

Quote by Neo Evil11
Because he's the hero The Pit deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A Dark Anus.
>BC Rich
>Crap
>yeah...

The Mockingbird ST and the Chuck Schuldiner Stealth is pretty much the only thing they have going for them.
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
Their stuff of late hasn't really been that good, and there was probably no market for those guitars. I have some of the early 80's stuff, and they just slay. Absolutely killer guitars. After Bernie got out of the company I haven't played one that was really that good.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
It's either Chinese made shit or the custom shop.

That's weird I have 2 that were made in Korea and are great quality. For the price nothing would come close to quality and specs also. You lose credibility making false statements and commenting on things you don't even know about. I'd be surprised if you even know how to play a guitar. A lot of bad info on here.

I like that these guitars aren't for everyone. For me it's more nostalgia from when I first started playing in the mid 80's and I'm glad I got the 2 that I did because they play great. The company went in a bad direction as Rob stated but those times changed a good while ago. Their lower line stuff isn't that great just like any other brand out there, people try those lower end ones and try and say all of them suck. Seen it before on here. At least their headstocks don't snap off overnight while you're sleeping like Gibsons... True story..
[..BLACKFIRE..]
Quote by ChucklesMginty
BC Rich don't make high end production guitars.

Sure they do. But nobody even notices that they exist until they’re blown out by Musician’s Friend as a Stupid Deal of the Day.
^^ yeah the NJ series is really good, but you never see them in a store
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Actually if you watch the Premier guitar Rig Rundown with Kerry, he tells people that his high end models are crazy expensive and aren't really worth it. He's a great guy.
Quote by JAustinMunn

My first guitar still has residue from an unfortunate ranch dressing incident

Quote by jpnyc
I played this guitar once. It unleashed the ****ing fury and I got kicked out of Guitar Center.
Quote by jpnyc
Sure they do. But nobody even notices that they exist until they’re blown out by Musician’s Friend as a Stupid Deal of the Day.

Quote by Robbgnarly
^^ yeah the NJ series is really good, but you never see them in a store

+1

NJ is great value, has great specs and they SHOULD compete with LTD Deluxe, etc.. But they have a total lack of marketing and store presence.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
+1

NJ is great value, has great specs and they SHOULD compete with LTD Deluxe, etc.. But they have a total lack of marketing and store presence.

agree. BC Rich just seems to be so associated with low end metal guitars for kids that you don't get the chance to really try some of their better higher end guitars. I have a 2006 NJ Eagle, neck thru and super nice guitar. sadly most never even see their American made guitars which are really trememdous guitars.
yep. thier custom shop models are top notch. not those are about 1% of the exposure the brand gets. 99% of which is total garbage.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Anther thing is most of the BC Rich models are ugly as hell, I still want a Mockingbird though
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Anther thing is most of the BC Rich models are ugly as hell, I still want a Mockingbird though

I agree, but if I had to choose one, I'd pick an Eagle over a Mockingbird in an instant.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Robbgnarly

Alot of the good mockingbird model's are gone.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Kerry King is a terrible guitar player anyway. And BC Rich has always been a "meh" brand.

Everyone has their own opinion that was formed from their experiences, and I can see how someone would dislike them if they didn't grow up in the scene at the time when Thrash/Black/Death metal came about.

Saying BC Rich has always been a meh brand is kind of a lame statement. Since they've been around before you were born. How would you even know if it was always?
[..BLACKFIRE..]
Quote by Blackfire.
Everyone has their own opinion that was formed from their experiences, and I can see how someone would dislike them if they didn't grow up in the scene at the time when Thrash/Black/Death metal came about.

Saying BC Rich has always been a meh brand is kind of a lame statement. Since they've been around before you were born. How would you even know if it was always?

Yeah. And BC Rich was popular brand back in the 80's not just in extreme metal. You could spot Warlocks in Glam bands here and there too.

I cant say a thing about BC Rich quality because I lack the first hand experience but I can tell that the bashing is way out of hand. So if they ruined their reputation with the Bronze series and (and lower range in general), who cares. In low range guitars QC issues are common in all brands. Its the midrange and above that matters. And regarding the shapes, who here is truly the pretentious one making such a big deal what looks people like?

TS, the selection really does seem smaller. There are some new ones too. Though nothing that would interest me. I almost jumped from joy when I spotted the new JR V Edge guitar, thinking "finally, a normal (without tooth-ache inducing paintjob that is) looking 6 string V with hardtail from BC Rich", only to realize its another low end model...

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Feb 3, 2014,
Quote by MaaZeus
Yeah. And BC Rich was popular brand back in the 80's not just in extreme metal. You could spot Warlocks in Glam bands here and there too.

I cant say a thing about BC Rich quality because I lack the first hand experience but I can tell that the bashing is way out of hand. So if they ruined their reputation with the Bronze series and (and lower range in general), who cares. In low range guitars QC issues are common in all brands. Its the midrange and above that matters. And regarding the shapes, who here is truly the pretentious one making such a big deal what looks people like?

TS, the selection really does seem smaller. There are some new ones too. Though nothing that would interest me. I almost jumped from joy when I spotted the new JR V Edge guitar, thinking "finally, a normal looking 6 string V with hardtail from BC Rich", only to realize its another low end model...

1+

The old BC Riches are awesome. You can still find the USA models used for $6-800 if you look around. They are top notch guitars. The one above is hand made, with an oiled neck, and a gorgeous rich rosewood fretboard. I got it with a hard shell case for $200. It's a better guitar in my opinion than almost anything that I've played before. It's 30+ years old, and in awesome condition.

The NJ (Nagoya, Japan not New Jersey) and especially the Bronze series tarnished their reputation. There are some great guitars out there that go cheap, and they're worth a try before you say meh. They're also cheaper than a lot of Schecters and LTDs, and far superior instruments.
the actual Japanese made NJ series guitars are actually fairly well regarded. later NJ series (early to mid 2000s) are very well made and great sounding guitars. the bronze series was crap and the platinum was just ok with a few exceptions.

have had several BC Rich guitars over the years (first one was bought in 1980) and keep coming back to them. sure some of them are just outrageous (widow headstock is just plain ugly) but the original models still hold up well. they are starting to realize this and promote them more which is good.
Quote by Offworld92
I agree, but if I had to choose one, I'd pick an Eagle over a Mockingbird in an instant.

Well I guess I must have better taste

And Uncle Jessie off Full House played nothing but BC Rich
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Feb 4, 2014,
^ Yeah, he always had those BC Rich guitars hanging on the walls and those Mesa combos laying around. But it is still one of the worst TV shows ever.
Quote by Espace39
BC Rich could be so much more.

than what? they have a fair amount of models and options and a wide price range. their biggest problem is a lack of exposure for their higher end models and they have very few dealers that stock the US made stuff.
The new BC Rich "Villain" series looks pretty nice IMO.
Amps+ FX:
6505+ Head
Line 6 DT50 2x12
Line 6 Pod HD500
Maxon OD808
MXR 10 Band EQ
Guitars
Ibanez SZR720
Schecter ATX C-7 Blackjack
Ibanez RGA7
Ovation Celebrity
Agile Dauntless(SD Pups)
Fender Modern Player Tele+
Everyone that talks shit about BC Rich has never played a decent model, it's like playing a starcaster and saying fender doesn't offer anything to serious players. They HAVE been taking good guitars and making them crappier though, best example would be that Mockingbird ST. Rockfield pickups probably don't appeal to everyone, but they're ****ing leaps and bounds over Duncan Designed. No $700 guitar should EVER have a single piece of budget hardware. It's the same with all companies, they pass on the tonewood myth and make you pay hundreds for something that makes NO difference whatsoever.

$500 should get a guitar with a tonepros bridge, EMGs, Duncans or Dimarzios, graphtech nut and grover tuners. $650 for a REAL floyd rose thrown in. They usually have spotty quality control on cheaper instruments, but a Platinum Warlock I used to have had the best neck I have ever played, tied with one of those road-worn teles. BC Rich hardware is the reason they don't play well, BDSM pickups suck, BC Rich tuners suck, their bridges suck, etc. Better BC Rich instruments DON'T use their bullshit budget crap and they will outplay any other metal guitar, guaranteed. If the crazy shapes don't appeal to you, their Mockingbird, Eagle and Assassin models are pretty tame. Mockingbird is slightly based on an explorer, but less wild (believe it or not); the Eagle is like a droopy PRS shape and the Assassin is just a typical super-strat shape.

But yeah, try a guitar that costs more than $150 before you judge a brand, any guitar at that price is crap... well, a few are supposed to be decent for the price (here's looking at you Yamaha) It's just that BC Rich REEEALLY over-saturates the market on the lowest end instruments by a ratio of like 20/1, but that's where all the money is, dumb metalheads that want to try playing guitar but don't have a lot of money... and yes, this applied to me when I started playing. Other than tuning stability problems, I found a BC Rich Platinum to be just fine for a beginner, I wouldn't mind having one to mod, replace all the hardware with good shit and bam, cheap professional level guitar.

And really, I sincerely doubt many people want the guitar the RHYTHM player of ****ing Slayer played, especially after the death of Jeff Hanneman
Last edited by Velcro Man at Feb 8, 2014,
Quote by Velcro Man
Everyone that talks shit about BC Rich has never played a decent model, it's like playing a starcaster and saying fender doesn't offer anything to serious players. They HAVE been taking good guitars and making them crappier though, best example would be that Mockingbird ST. Rockfield pickups probably don't appeal to everyone, but they're ****ing leaps and bounds over Duncan Designed. No $700 guitar should EVER have a single piece of budget hardware. It's the same with all companies, they pass on the tonewood myth and make you pay hundreds for something that makes NO difference whatsoever.

$500 should get a guitar with a tonepros bridge, EMGs, Duncans or Dimarzios, graphtech nut and grover tuners. $650 for a REAL floyd rose thrown in. They usually have spotty quality control on cheaper instruments, but a Platinum Warlock I used to have had the best neck I have ever played, tied with one of those road-worn teles. BC Rich hardware is the reason they don't play well, BDSM pickups suck, BC Rich tuners suck, their bridges suck, etc. Better BC Rich instruments DON'T use their bullshit budget crap and they will outplay any other metal guitar, guaranteed. If the crazy shapes don't appeal to you, their Mockingbird, Eagle and Assassin models are pretty tame. Mockingbird is slightly based on an explorer, but less wild (believe it or not); the Eagle is like a droopy PRS shape and the Assassin is just a typical super-strat shape.

But yeah, try a guitar that costs more than $150 before you judge a brand, any guitar at that price is crap... well, a few are supposed to be decent for the price (here's looking at you Yamaha) It's just that BC Rich REEEALLY over-saturates the market on the lowest end instruments by a ratio of like 20/1, but that's where all the money is, dumb metalheads that want to try playing guitar but don't have a lot of money... and yes, this applied to me when I started playing. Other than tuning stability problems, I found a BC Rich Platinum to be just fine for a beginner, I wouldn't mind having one to mod, replace all the hardware with good shit and bam, cheap professional level guitar.

And really, I sincerely doubt many people want the guitar the RHYTHM player of ****ing Slayer played, especially after the death of Jeff Hanneman

interesting rant but not realistic from a business standpoint. since BC Rich isn't the maker of EMG or DiMarzio pickups they would have to be bought from that maker driving up the costs same with the other hardware you mentioned. their parent company does own Floyd Rose so that is why they have them even on some of their mid line guitars. I agree that there were far to many cheap models on the market which gave them a bad reputation. the stock parts on many of the mid tier guitars doesn't seem bad to me at all. as for the BDSM pups there seems to be different levels of those as well. while not the best pups they are far from the worse stock pickups out there.

Kerry king is hardly just the rhythm player for Slayer but whatever. obviously he does sell guitars so it doesn't matter
Quote by Velcro Man

And where are your facts coming from? Seems like a bunch of assumptions with no basis in reality.

I agree the lowend BC Rich has damaged their reputation a lot and their lack of new designs is not a good thing either.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Feb 8, 2014,
Quote by monwobobbo
interesting rant but not realistic from a business standpoint. since BC Rich isn't the maker of EMG or DiMarzio pickups they would have to be bought from that maker driving up the costs same with the other hardware you mentioned. their parent company does own Floyd Rose so that is why they have them even on some of their mid line guitars. I agree that there were far to many cheap models on the market which gave them a bad reputation. the stock parts on many of the mid tier guitars doesn't seem bad to me at all. as for the BDSM pups there seems to be different levels of those as well. while not the best pups they are far from the worse stock pickups out there.

Kerry king is hardly just the rhythm player for Slayer but whatever. obviously he does sell guitars so it doesn't matter

Idk, once the word got out there, though you're making less profit, you'll be selling far more units. Sell cheaper, sell more. It'd be hard to start with that business model, but a company already established doing it? It'd absolutely work. Guitar companies aren't paying retail for parts.

Quote by Robbgnarly
And where are your facts coming from? Seems like a bunch of assumptions with no basis in reality.

I agree the lowend BC Rich has damaged their reputation a lot and their lack of new designs is not a good thing either.

I remember one of the BC Rich ASM Assassins coming with EMGs, OFR and a neck-through design for under $700. Anything above their shit models has optimal quality control, you can ask pretty much anyone that gave BC Rich a real shot. Their medium range guitars have superb workmanship.

Very few companies can keep coming out with new designs that aren't complete clones or flops. Fender just rehashes the same designs they've been using for 50 years, Gibson...god, Gibson... Jackson and Ibanez are hardly releasing new designs by changing paint color, bridge design and slightly changing neck shapes. Epiphone occasionally releases some unique new designs, but not many that really matter. BC Rich SEEMS like they make crazy guitars, so they must just make unique designs every year, but their designs are just as much of their trade mark as the RG is to Ibanez, the Les Paul is to Gibson and the RR is to Jackson.
Last edited by Velcro Man at Feb 8, 2014,
Page 1 of 2