Shit-storm in glorious motherland of Slovenia while fat capitalist pigs cry over snow

Page 1 of 2
Silly title aside, the country is pretty much breaking down. And let me start by saying that we aren't some sun bathin' summer country that is seeing water in its 3rd state of matter for the first time. We're used to heavy winters and usually have very little problems even with heavy snowfall.

It's not too bad from my part - for the past three or four days I've spent my afternoons cutting down the broken and fallen trees in our back yard, helping the neighbors do the same. Earlier today some trees fell on our telephone cables and we were supposed to be without running water yesterday due to emergency repairs but the authorities managed to fix it.

Best part is I have it easy compared to some people. My friend for instance has been without electricity and as a result without heating for the past three days. He told me that the warmest room in his house is the kitchen at about 15°C, the coldest being the bedrooms at about 11°C.

Generally, large parts of the country are without electricity, some towns are completely cut off from the rest of the country due to avalanches and fallen trees and the only reason I can leave my town is the highway that we are connected due - most regular roads in the area are completely useless.

But more importantly, 10% of the population is now without electricity, some for up to 3 days. The government is doing its best to supply power with backup generators but we're running out of those as well and have asked the EU % neighbouring countries to back us up.

Basically, shit is hitting the fan and I'll leave the rest to the only view-worthy news article in English that I could find.

The state has declared a 'Red Alarm', the English equivalent being either 'State of emergency' or 'Lol we're fucked'. Fire fighters have been pretty much working day and night, the Civil Protection service has sent every one of their people out to help and the military is deploying help while sending any backup generator that they can spare.

Quote by RadioSi
Weather still causing problems in Slovenia

Snow, freezing rain and sleet have paralyzed large parts of Slovenia in the recent days. Not only that traffic in the country is severely hindered, the bad weather also caused avalanches, power outages. Due to broken power lines because of the weight of ice around 20 thousand households in the regions of Notranjska and Kočevsko were left powerless and some parts of Notranjska even without water supply. Altogether around 88.000 households or 10 percent of Slovenian population are without power. Heavy rainfall has also raised the water level of rivers in south-western Slovenia. Slovenian Prime Minister Alenka Bratušek and defence minister Roman Jakič will visit the cities of Postojna and Pivka today, to get first-hand information about the situation. Armed forces were called in today to supply power generators to help the communities that had been without power since Thursday midnight. The heavy rain and snowfall will continue until tomorrow.

http://radiosi.eu/shows/english-web/article/Weather-still-causing-problems-in-Slovenia/

News report about the us and the surrounding countries:

http://www.canada.com/travel/Thousands+without+electricity+Slovenia+weather+also+causes+travel/9459657/story.html

Report from national television, of course in Slovene. Also source of my pics:

http://www.rtvslo.si/okolje/foto-in-video-v-sloveniji-rdeci-alarm-na-poti-agregati-iz-tujine/328872

If you want some video you can find it on the national TV site linked above. Naturally, it's not in English but you know it's not easy sailing when the some reporters have to use cell phones instead of mics to do their job.

I'm writing this because people always ignore us when shit goes down and I like attention.

TL;DR:

Altogether around 88.000 households or 10 percent of Slovenian population are without power.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Last edited by JamSessionFreak at Feb 2, 2014,
Quote by JamSessionFreak
He told me that the warmest room in his house is the kitchen at about 15°C, the coldest being the bedrooms at about 11°C.

Did you mean to say -15 and -11? Because that isn't bad at all.
Quote by raoooos

Nah, all positive. It's not really cold outside which is the reason shit's going down - it's just warm enough for it to be raining, yet cold enough that ice is forming everywhere.

But he still has it fairly well since they have a well insulated house. The worst I've heard is about 5°C indoors but I'm not sure if that's true.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
damn man, that's awful
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by raoooos

that's pretty cold tho
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by Burgery
damn man, that's awful

Bitch, you're from Iceland I'm pretty sure you could come here and enjoy some warm weather. But ye, thanks for caring.

I'm the only one with steady electricity from the group of friends we hang out with regularly, all of us being addicted to the internet. As a result, marijuana has been our main activity for the past few days.

EDIT:
Forgot to post the main reason for posting all of this: I want to let the US southerners know what men call an emergency.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Very sloven response.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
"third world Eastern European shithole doesn't have electricity"

Wow I would've never guessed
Quote by darkcheef

I'm not sure you realise how well this describes our perception of the average American's knowledge about global geography and economy.

EDIT:

Some news agency claims that up to 80% of the trees in some forests have been damaged or destroyed. I'm not sure how true this is.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Quote by JamSessionFreak
I'm not sure you realise how well this describes our perception of the average American's knowledge about global geography and economy.

lol don't reply to me ever again third worlder

Altogether around 88.000 households or 10 percent of Slovenian population are without power.

Slovenia's population is only 880? Shit you guys are small.
Quote by metal4eva_22
Slovenia's population is only 880? Shit you guys are small.

2 million apparently. A household isn't usually just one person.
In my province there were towns and cities without power over Christmas for 5-12 days, 11C rooms aren't fun but my apartments are usually never higher than 15C, which is warm enough when the outside temperatures are -28C.

Essentially, I'm saying welcome to Canada, I've felt your pain.
Meanwhile, here in good ol' Southern Europe, we are having an average of 15ºC outside during the day and people still complain it's cold as shit.
Last edited by little_boy at Feb 2, 2014,
Quote by Jmoarguitar
In my province there were towns and cities without power over Christmas for 5-12 days, 11C rooms aren't fun but my apartments are usually never higher than 15C, which is warm enough when the outside temperatures are -28C.

3rd world North American shit hole is with out electricity. darkcheef was unable to guess.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
how about that kopitar though? he's alright

Quote by Jmoarguitar

lol it was like -4 inside of my house on christmas day.. didn't have power for that entire week

that was pretty shitty but what can you do i guess. i wasn't about to spend time at some cheap jizzstained hotel so whatever

Last edited by MinterMan22 at Feb 2, 2014,
Quote by Jmoarguitar
Not sure what you're saying, are you calling Canada a third world country?

No, I'm poking darkcheef.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by MinterMan22
how about that kopitar though? he's alright

lol it was like -4 inside of my house on christmas day.. didn't have power for that entire week

that was pretty shitty but what can you do i guess. i wasn't about to spend time at some cheap jizzstained hotel so whatever

Yeah you guys had it bad over there too. Most of eastern New Brunswick was the same way, my town stayed cool enough that we never had any severe ice issues, just a **** ton of snow all christmas break
Quote by Jmoarguitar

Shit, that has to suck. It makes me kinda sad that I never hear about places like yours.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
....aaaaaand whole town's gone dark after a bang and bright flash. My phone battery's pretty low so I guess it's goodbye for now.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
D:
Quote by korinaflyingv
Slovenian here
I've got it exceptionally good here, no power shortages, it's not even freezing over at our altitute (~340m), but villages all around at just slightly higher altitudes are pretty much as Jam described it.
A friend of mine posted this today. I believe a road is supposed to be under the trees.

Cracking from the woods can be heard quite frequently, I guess this ice age will keep everyone who owns a forest pretty busy once everything thaws.

I wish we'd at least have a town called Hell, it'd make a good introductory picture for this thread

Quote by JamSessionFreak
But he still has it fairly well since they have a well insulated house.
Pisk?
Not sure if a sig is a necessity.
Quote by Guodlca

I wish we'd at least have a town called Hell, it'd make a good introductory picture for this thread

Just down the road from me. And yes it is frozen over.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58

Just down the road from me. And yes it is frozen over.
Boy must they get this question a lot.
Quote by JamSessionFreak
Shit, that has to suck. It makes me kinda sad that I never hear about places like yours.

it's not really sad, it's quite usual. It'd be weird to see on global news about an ice storm in Canada hahaha.The difference is our governments are prepared for it (for the most part), we can handle it relatively well, and if not, people already suspect things like this would happen
Another slovenian here. I'm just waiting for a tree to crash trough my window, since they seem to be doing that a lot this days. Besides that, its pretty good here, the power only goes out for a second in random intervals, but always comes back on. And there is a shitload of snowsohoveling to be done. But other than that, no problems.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Bit of a bump, today I spoke with my piano teacher, she's been without electricity for 7 days and it's 6°C inside their home :/
She's from the same city as Jam, so I'm guessing he's not having fun either.
Link to some pictures
those pics are crazy
Quote by korinaflyingv
Some of us here in Capitalist Pig-land have endured equally horrific winters before.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
Quote by raoooos

it's pretty bad for inside all day for 3 days. Imagine being outside in that weather for three days because that's what they're probably dealing with. including elderly people and babies and stuff
that's insane

walking outside in conditions like that is the scariest shit ever.. it wasn't nearly that bad over here during our ice storm blizzard shindig i can't imagine my anxiety levels being outside in that

a small gust of wind could cause a tree branch/power line to snap and fall on you and literally kill you to death from impalement/electrocution/whatever

Quote by MinterMan22
that's insane

walking outside in conditions like that is the scariest shit ever.. it wasn't nearly that bad over here during our ice storm blizzard shindig i can't imagine my anxiety levels being outside in that

a small gust of wind could cause a tree branch/power line to snap and fall on you and literally kill you to death from impalement/electrocution/whatever

Certainly won't kill you to a severe injury.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
TS, if you were ever curious about cannibalism...now might be your only shot.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
This happened in Toronto and Southern Ontario over the Chirstmas break. I went five days with no power, running water and unsuccessfully tried to heat the house with a wood stove. Some people were more than a week.

The worst part by far was not having ANYTHING to do. I had no guitar because it was at school, it was too cold and shitty out to go outside, roads were too shit to drive anywhere, no way to charge my computer, it was awful. Aside from that it really wasn't that bad, more of a nuisance than anything.

If I could offer any advice, don't try to heat your house with a barbecue.
Last.fm So you can make fun of my taste in music
Youtube So you can make fun of my videos
Last edited by bifteksupernova at Feb 7, 2014,
Quote by darkcheef

Yeah.. third world eastern european, I don't think you know what third world means.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Eastern Europe is pretty much the definition of 2nd world.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Ye, shit's getting better now - I'm in the capital getting me some internet swag. Still no electricity back home but at least we have cell-phone service and a generator now, so it's not that bad. Kinda funny how social you become when the electricity is gone - I've basically been spending entire days either studying or visiting friends and relatives.

Anyhoo, we won't have fully-functional electricity for months but they say that we may get it sorted out to a decent amount somewhere between Saturday and Wednesday.

And there are a lot of Germans and Austrians here so it's basically WWII.

And just as a heads up, Slovenia is part of central Europe in most classification systems.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Page 1 of 2