So I'm looking at maybe buying a new amp, and I'm looking for your opinions of the Peavey 6505 plus 112 60w combo and the Laney IRT60-212 Ironheart combo, these two sound nice.
My budget would be around £500, preferably a bit less.
Closest cities are Glasgow and Edinburgh.
I play mainly Metallica, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, and Pink Floyd.
A good, heavy distortion is the main feature I'm looking for.
Which amp would you suggest? Any other amp that fits this criteria?
I'm not sure either would hit the lower gain sounds you want. Not too sure about pricing over there, but Jet City, a Laney AOR, or a Marshall DSL, all with a boost, would do what you want nicely.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
The Marshall DSL40c combo sounds nice! Would you recommend the older DSL models from the late 90's or the new ones? Since they're quite popular I could probably get one for less than £500 which is good also.
A DLS 50 would be much better, yes. The 40c is good, but I prefer the older ones
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Quote by classicrocker01
A DLS 50 would be much better, yes. The 40c is good, but I prefer the older ones

+1 to this.

I am not a big fan of the new DSL series, the older series were great amps. Also agree with the Laney and 6505 not being the best fit for what style you're looking to play.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, SG standard, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7(*for sale*)
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Quote by classicrocker01

Is the JCM2000 range the older ones?
Yes
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, SG standard, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7(*for sale*)
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
I'll get to a guitar shop some time and try some of these out, that's the best way to decide obviously, thanks for your suggestions.
Quote by JustGuitar98
you can get a Marshall half stack for that price, it's personally what I would go for
http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Marshall-MG100HCFX-Amp-Head-and-Cabinet-Half-Stack-Bundle/GZ5

You better be trolling.

OT: I didn't like the heavy distortions that my old DSL401 offered. Too muddy. But the OD1 channel with a tubescreamer in front did okay distortion sounds.

Personally I would go for the combo you suggested TS, the Laney Ironheart. I tried the 60w head with the matching 4x12 cabinet and for the price it was absolutely stunning. So many options with the EQ, boost the drive channel for a lead sound or even more distortion, set your dynamics and tone to your liking for pretty much the tones you want out of it. I think Laney IRT is far much more versatile than my old DSL401. My new Laney VH100R on the other hand is better sounding on moderate distortion and cleans than IRT in my opinion.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Quote by JustGuitar98
you can get a Marshall half stack for that price, it's personally what I would go for
http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Marshall-MG100HCFX-Amp-Head-and-Cabinet-Half-Stack-Bundle/GZ5

GTFO
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I think it's between the Marshall JCM2000 DSL50 or the Laney IRT60. My only concern is that the Ironheart might not have as good cleans compared to the Marshall? But then again the Laney is a combo amp which is appealing... I really need to get to a shop and try them
jet city- that's what i'd go for if you're looking new). they're hard to beat for the money thomann sells them for. it wouldn't be my first choice for pink floyd or led zep or black sabbath, though (but then you said the main thing was a good heavy distortion).

the jcm2000 dsl might be the thing. or a laney GH if you don't need a clean channel (but prices on those are nowhere near as good as they used to be ).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
jet city- that's what i'd go for if you're looking new). they're hard to beat for the money thomann sells them for. it wouldn't be my first choice for pink floyd or led zep or black sabbath, though (but then you said the main thing was a good heavy distortion).

the jcm2000 dsl might be the thing. or a laney GH if you don't need a clean channel (but prices on those are nowhere near as good as they used to be ).

I don't know what it is about the jet city that doesn't interest me that much :\ probably because I've never tried one. If I come across one I'll try it though. I'm not that bothered if it's new, I'm most probably going to get used.
they're frigging awesome for the price new, they're basically cheaper (but still built pretty well for the price) soldanos.

but yeah if you're going used a dsl or laney gh (or even a vh might be under budget) would likely be better for the tones you're after.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I wanna say go for the laney or a 6505+/5150ii head + a cab (but thats gonna be over budget)

I love the crunch channel on my 5150ii, use it for most things, just change guitar or EQ/pregain.

But for the lower gain stuff you could stick an OD pedal on the clean channel.

The laney has a better useable clean channel than the 6505+ combo (i think)

Then again the laney can do low gain stuff well, but thats from playing my mates head through a 2x12 with G12k-100's in.

Im babbling, Read my sig but most of what im on about might help you
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
^ I read your sig and I'm confused

Hey Cing Krimson

Nice thread.

Quote by classicrocker01
I'm not sure either would hit the lower gain sounds you want. Not too sure about pricing over there, but Jet City, a Laney AOR, or a Marshall DSL, all with a boost, would do what you want nicely.

What do you mean by lower gain? You mean Pink Floyd? When I hear Pink Floyd guess what else I think of in addition to mid-gain tones? Cleans.

The AOR is single channel. The IronHeart is perfect for what he's doing. So is the DSL. I never had a good experience with Jet City but that experience is pretty limited.
Quote by classicrocker01

+1
Quote by Sakke
Personally I would go for the combo you suggested TS, the Laney Ironheart.

+1

Great vid of the Ironheart.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyBeFML4uVE

Also, these are the amps that KSE used to record and tour their last album - which has brilliant tone imo.
^IMO the IronHeart is a bit modern voiced for Pink Floyd and Zep. I was thinking something that had more of a boosted 800ish sound would be more in line.

Then again, I haven't played one, just going off demos. Could just be I haven't heard it dialed in right?
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^ I read your sig and I'm confused

Was drunk and babbling
But some of what i said makes sense

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
^ Oh I see now. I got your 'selling gear' part of your sig confused with the babbling. The babbling part was the part that made the most sense. Never mind. Carry on.

Quote by classicrocker01
^IMO the IronHeart is a bit modern voiced for Pink Floyd and Zep. I was thinking something that had more of a boosted 800ish sound would be more in line.

Then again, I haven't played one, just going off demos. Could just be I haven't heard it dialed in right?

You may be right. You seem to have a better handle on vintage vs modern tones.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

You may be right. You seem to have a better handle on vintage vs modern tones.

I'm slow tonight...
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Quote by classicrocker01

I'm slow tonight...

Keep up the good work

I think atm OP/TS what ever we are calling him (forgot your name sorry!!) is gonna have a kinda hard ish problem unless theres an amp that can do the high gain modern tones then flick a switch or two an get the vintagey lower-mid gain stuff.

thats within budget

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals