I'm looking at becoming a Luthier or a guitar repair/tech guy in a few years (doing GCSE's at the moment). What's the best way of getting into that sort of thing? I like the idea of going to Totnes Guitar Building School but that's only a 12 week course, where do I go from there? I would assume that an apprenticeship would be the next logical step but I can't seem to find any places offering that sort of thing. Could you point me in the direction of somewhere that do that sort of apprenticeships or another way of getting into that business? Thank you
A lot of great luthiers never had any formal training. IMHO, you're best off either buying some cheap guitars, or doing stuff for friends, and practicing your set-up skills (fret levelling, crowning, dressing, whatever). You can make the prettiest guitar around, but it's a waste if it's unplayable. Even if you do a course, you still need experience, which you can start getting right now. From there, maybe go with a kit or just start building from scratch - accept that the first builds might be trash. The only way to get better at building is by building. The only way to establish a business is through reputation, which you get by building and building with quality.

Again, in my opinion, you'd be better just skipping the course and learning what you need to hands-on, from an apprenticeship. If you're serious, do the work for free.

Where are you based?
I personally believe guitar building/ repair school is a huge waste of money.
I have gotten where i am purely through trial and error and internet resources.
Apprenticing is a good way to learn from somebody in person.

IT is a tough industry man... You can only make money as a luthier once you have a GREAT reputation, and only if you build what isnt already readily available at a cheaper price.
Unless you don't know anything about guitar construction I'd say skip the course. Most, if not all, customers are going to look at previous guitars you've made and possibly reviews before purchasing one of yours. They aren't going to look at what courses or high school level you've done.
Boxing Kangaroo Of The Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians only.
Quote by -MintSauce-

Where are you based?

I'm currently living in Worcestershire but my Dad lives on the Berkshire/Hampshire border so anything in that area is preferable.

I have basic wood working skills and I would be quite confident in building the body to an electric guitar but I wouldn't know where to start with building an acoustic or a neck, that's why I think this course would be good for me.
Quote by JustGuitar98
I'm currently living in Worcestershire but my Dad lives on the Berkshire/Hampshire border so anything in that area is preferable.

I have basic wood working skills and I would be quite confident in building the body to an electric guitar but I wouldn't know where to start with building an acoustic or a neck, that's why I think this course would be good for me.

It might be worth taking a look on here for anyone close to you:
http://www.luthierdirectory.co.uk/