Hello,

I recently changed my strings on my JS2410 (same gauge, but different brand - EB Slinkys to Elixirs) and the action on my guitar has dramatically increased. I just had my guitar setup (including truss rod adjustment) last month at a professional luthier.

I wonder if the change in string brand has contributed to a change in tension (despite the same gauge?) and if the problem lies in the tremolo springs (and I need to adjust that instead). Or perhaps I just have to lower the action? I've included a picture of the bridge (not the best quality, sorry! but it does show that the bridge is raised)

It seems rather odd either way - I changed the strings one by one to minimise tension changes on the bridge and I'm using the same gauge...

Thanks! Haven't encountered this problem before so I appreciate any advice
Attachments:
photo.JPG
It looks about perfect to me, I would't mess with the springs at all. That little line/notch on the side of the bridge should be straight level with the body. That's normal for an Ibanez Edge bridge when set up level.
Last edited by Way Cool JR. at Feb 2, 2014,
Just experiment and play around with it. Unless you take a blow torch to it you should be able to reverse whatever you do
Quote by Way Cool JR.
It looks about perfect to me, I would't mess with the springs at all. That little line/notch on the side of the bridge should be straight level with the body. That's normal for an Ibanez Edge bridge when set up level.

that bridge looks ass up in the air to me. And the string height is level with of the top of volume/tone pot which is high action.

OP you need to tighten the springs and then tune the guitar. That will bring the bridge back down. It's best to check an Ibanez tremolo setup guide.
Last edited by kingking22 at Feb 2, 2014,
Quote by kingking22
that bridge looks ass up in the air to me. And the string height is level with of the top of volume/tone pot which is high action.

OP you need to tighten the springs and then tune the guitar. That will bring the bridge back down. It's best to check an Ibanez tremolo setup guide.

When the line is even with the body is how an Edge should be set up. You can try adjusting the springs, but the balance has to be right to keep the bar in tune when playing around with it. They're not really the best for action. I've done mine like that for years. If it's action is till too high I would consider lowering the bridge with the screws it pivots on and check the truss rod. My action always gets higher in the winter, vice versa in the summer and the truss rod needs to be adjusted. I know you just had it adjusted, but a sudden temperature change can alter it easily.
Quote by bish0p3473
When the line is even with the body is how an Edge should be set up.

Fair enough, I was making a judgement based on how other Floyd systems are setup but I guess the Edge is different.
Quote by kingking22
Fair enough, I was making a judgement based on how other Floyd systems are setup but I guess the Edge is different.

That's how most of the Floyd's on Ibanez's are. The base plate is shaped like a wedge/ramp and not flat like the base plate on an OFR or most other licensed variants. So when they are setup level they look like the butt end is jacked up in the air. They put them notches on the side to help aid you in getting them set level because of their unconventional shape.
Quote by Way Cool JR.

It sure doesn't look level to me (and I'm taking into account the way Edge bridges are designed). The strings do NOT look level.

The action is higher than hell, too. There's no reason it should almost to the level of the knobs.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Feb 3, 2014,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
It sure doesn't look level to me (and I'm taking into account the way Edge bridges are designed). The strings do NOT look level.

The action is higher than hell, too. There's no reason it should almost to the level of the knobs.

You can see the leveling notch on the side of the baseplate and it's dang near perfectly level to the body like it should be. If he wants to adjust the action to be lower, then he needs to adjust it by lowering the string height studs that the bridge pivots on. That was already mention in another post by bish0p3473.

Obviously his "professional luthier" did not setup his bridge properly from the beginning. Now that the bridge is level where it should be it made his action extra high. I can only figure that his luthier never worked on any Ibanez guitars with Edge style trems before.
The way it's always worked out for me was that when I balance the spring vs string tension, the screws hanging out the back are usually level with the body as well...on real floyds or edges. If you have the low profile trem that has the bent arms this doesn't apply of course.