Hello everyone! I have been playing electric guitar for a long time, but I am really interested in learning to play bass. I had a couple of questions though. I tried looking up these answers myself but got very mixed opinions.

1. I was trying to decide what bass to buy. Do you think it would be good for playing my type of music? (Breaking Benjamin, Skillet, Disturbed, ect)

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-GSR200-4-String-Bass-100463977-i1150630.gc#features

2. When you buy a new bass, should you take it to a professional to have it set up right away, or is it good to go right out of the box?

3. Is it better for a complete beginner to buy something like this -

http://www.amazon.com/Silvertone-Guitar-Package-Liquid-Black/dp/B0002D0HZ8/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1389965500&sr=8-16&keywords=bass

Or are these cheap ones just a waste of money in the long run?
Thanks so much for any advice, I really appreciate your time!
Welcome to the low end

1. The GSR200 is a suitable first bass (My first was a GSR190). However, if you are confident buying used you could get the better SR300 for less than the price of a new GSR200. For some reason Ibanez don't hold their value too well.

2. With regards to professional setup, depends on how much they'll charge to do it. I remember not having mine set up, because they were going to charge an additional €50 on a €175 bass. Basic set up can be done yourself, just look at some tutorials. Truss-rod adjustments are something better left to the more experienced or professionals.

3. You generally get what you pay for with the cheap ones, but some are definitely better than others. SX has a good reputation with their really cheap basses.
Quote by Karl Marx
Reason has always existed, but not always in a reasonable form.
Quote by Spanner93
Welcome to the low end

1. The GSR200 is a suitable first bass (My first was a GSR190). However, if you are confident buying used you could get the better SR300 for less than the price of a new GSR200. For some reason Ibanez don't hold their value too well.

2. With regards to professional setup, depends on how much they'll charge to do it. I remember not having mine set up, because they were going to charge an additional €50 on a €175 bass. Basic set up can be done yourself, just look at some tutorials. Truss-rod adjustments are something better left to the more experienced or professionals.

3. You generally get what you pay for with the cheap ones, but some are definitely better than others. SX has a good reputation with their really cheap basses.

Thanks very much for your advice! I appreciate the help, and will certainly look into the SR300.
You seem to be into the heavy sort of music (i.e., Disturbed), so you might want to look at a five-string bass. Since your price range seems to be about US$200.00 or so, I suggest that you take a look at the LTD B-15 Five String or the Peavey Millennium 5 BXP Five String. They would serve you well in that price range, and they are both full 34" scale basses.

Good luck!
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley