In about 7 weeks time I'm going to have to help a guy out with his music exam by performing Carrion by Parkway Drive with him. The song's in drop B so he recommended 12 gauge strings. As I don't really have the money to change strings all the time, I may be stuck with 12 gauges for a while if I end up performing. (I usually use 11s)

My question is are there any risks with such a big change in guitar setup? Going from standard E with 11s to drop B with 12s sound like it could brew up a shitstorm with my neck. I only own one usable guitar, it's an Electa Les Paul guitar. (don't ask about the specks or anything, I've looked everywhere and there isn't a single person who knows about the company, I believe they were a Japanese company that made cheap Les Paul copies in the 60's, but I could be wrong) It's got a fixed bridge and I believe they are more impervious to changes in tuning and what not, but I'm still nervous.
If I were to change to 12s, what would be the recommended tuning I live in be? 11s for me work well for E, so would D standard be a good spot, because I really don't want to go any lower than that.
11s in B should be fine. That neck may not be able to handle 12s when you tune back up to D or E. While that is a decent guitar it was built for 9s I think. So 11s are already kinda big for it.

A BTW nice vintage guitar you have too. They are rare now but not worth a whole lot. So try to keep it. There is some websites dedicated to the Westone/Electra brand a lot were made in Japan at the Matsumoko factory.

Anyway I have a Epiphone by Gibson actually made by Samik superstrat that I tried to put 12s on in Estandard, that caused 2 issues. I could not get the neck relief right and with even 5 springs on the Floyd the thing wouldn't sit flush with the body. almost unplayable.

I put 10s back on that one and it set up very well, plays fine no issues.

So try it with the 11s, the action may have to go up a little. But its better than having a guitar you can only play in B. So even if you have a fixed bridge the neck may bow too much and give you like a half inch of height at 12th fret and up.
What the hell!!!
I should add that I play in B with 11s on my other guitars. I would shoot for D setup and intonation with 11s it is a good mid point.
What the hell!!!
So after spending a bit of time in drop B I realised that it was better than I thought. There wasn't any major rattling, and none was audible through my amp, so I think I can my guitar can pull through one song in teh drahp Bees. Plus my current strings are a few months old, so once I get a new set it should sound better too. Thanks for the help.

There is some websites dedicated to the Westone/Electra brand

I should clarify that my guitar is not an Electra, but an Electa (huge difference I know) I've looked around a lot for information on Electa, but I only ever find info on Electra guitars. And no it's not like a silly typo or misprint, Electa is a real brand but the only sites that mention it are from guys selling pre-owned ones. I got mine at a BAM BAM store (here in Australia) for about $500, though it was originally $800, and they only had one. My guess is they're quite rare, and I've heard that they're quite good and in terms of electronics they are genuine Gibson (all coming from shady sources, but it's the best I could do). Perhaps I should open a thread for info on this guitar...
Since you play Standard E with 11s, I don't think you can play Drop B in 12s comfortably.
I play 10-52 in Standard E and even just detune to Standard D I need 11-56.
And you say you don't have money to change string? A pack of string is like $5.
Do you feel like I do!?
Quote by EddieHet
Since you play Standard E with 11s, I don't think you can play Drop B in 12s comfortably.

.13 is C# is what i use droptuned. if i go down to C they get a little bit loose than i like. for relevence i use a 1570 prestige ibby, Gibson SG, and a Gibson V.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by EddieHet

Not in Australia. Unless I want shit strings, good strings will run me $20+. I don't have any intention of buying a set of 12's then throwing them out after one performance. As I said in my previous post, I've been dabbling around in drop B with my 11's and they're fine. Sure they're loose, but out of an amp you can't hear any rattling or anything, so it'll do me for now.

Plus, around the same time I may also have to perform Johnny B Goode, so I'm afraid as of now 12's just aren't an option.