Hey guys. This is more something that I'm curious about than an actual doubt, but let's go.
Down here in Brazil, where I (sadly) live, it's pretty common for events in pubs and bars to be late (as in more than 1 hour late), and for the bands to show up a lot later than the agreed time. For example, the bands should show up at 5 pm for soundcheck, gig starts at 7 pm. This will usually lead to bands showing up 6, 6:30 pm, only one band going through soundcheck and the gig starts at 8 pm. Or even if the bands show on time, the gig will still start at 8 pm.
My band has the habit of always coming at the scheduled time, or sometimes even 10 minutes earlier, so we can unload our stuff calmly, with no rush or anything. This has led to us becoming friends with pub owners, scoring larger payments, invitations for exclusive gigs or to parties, free beer, free food, etc. But it sometimes ends up being a bit annoying, as we sometimes end up having to wait for three, four hours to play, cause the other bands haven't gotten there. In a recent gig, the owner of the bar told us to be there at 5 pm for soundcheck, and the actual gig started at 10 pm. We waited til 7 pm for the owner to show up, and when did he asked us if we really had to wait for him and the sound tech guy to do the soundcheck!
Anyway, my question is: Is this a common sort of thing everywhere, Europe, USA, Australia, or just another lovely trait of the disrespectful Brazilian personality?
Quote by Xiaoxi
The Byzantine scale was useful until the Ottoman scale came around and totally annihilated it.
First thing you always learn in music 101 is to show up on time.....unfortunately this is not so for the owners of the establishment of whom you are at mercy. after 20 or so years in the restaurant industry I have learned too always make sure to get their cell phone number and annoyingly call them when they're late to come let you in....cause they do this to all staff.....when you have a 150 guests coming at 7 and no ones there to let the hired chefs in 3 hours prior to prep you tend to get annoyed.

When it comes to gigs being pushed late....that is always the norm....no use in playing for an empty house.....is although annoying when they get irritated cause they all want to go home and your still packing at 2 am cause they didn't let you on until 12:-[
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy
Quote by Blackst4r
First thing you always learn in music 101 is to show up on time.....unfortunately this is not so for the owners of the establishment of whom you are at mercy. after 20 or so years in the restaurant industry I have learned too always make sure to get their cell phone number and annoyingly call them when they're late to come let you in....cause they do this to all staff.....when you have a 150 guests coming at 7 and no ones there to let the hired chefs in 3 hours prior to prep you tend to get annoyed.

Yeah, we had the owner's cell phone number. He only showed up after we (and some other members of the staff) called him a bunch of times. And then proceeds to complain that we should have started the soundcheck without a sound tech.
And I can understand waiting for the house to be full to start. What I don't understand is pushing it back when the house is already full, or almost full at the very least.
Quote by Xiaoxi
The Byzantine scale was useful until the Ottoman scale came around and totally annihilated it.
That's really common in my experience, and really annoying. But not everyone is like that and I actually have a lot of trouble trying to predict whether I'm dealing with a musician who shows up exactly 10 minutes before the scheduled time or someone who runs 2 hours late.

My advice is to resist falling into the habit of being late yourself and bring a book or a gameboy to occupy your time while you wait because there are a lot of people out there who run on "rock star" time.
Unless you're not getting paid, then I just leave.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
You will find dick club/bar owners everywhere. It's an unfortunate part of the business. Don't ever let that discourage you from being punctual. Being punctual is among the most important things you can do, not just in a music career, but in ANY career. It shows respect, humility, and maturity. There will be owners who stiff you, or show up late and blame you for something, but they are just dicks remember. Always be punctual. Being punctual is being professional. And that is after all what the end game is right?
It depends from situation to situation. The best option is to always be punctual and professional. You never know who you're dealing with, so you want to leave a good impression at all times.

But that doesn't mean that you shouldn't stand up for yourself and complain when you feel that you have reasons to do it.
Just complain in a calm and polite manner, be respectful. You must be cold-headed and logical about it. Don't give a reason for people to not hire your band anymore.

If after that you still don't have conditions to perform (zero soundcheck time, for example), you have the right to leave if you want to.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Like I said, this was more of a curiosity than a doubt. The idea of not being punctual has never crossed my mind, or of anyone in my band. We've been getting acknowledged for that. I was just annoyed at this gig yesterday, where a band showed up less than 15 minutes before the event started, and played for over an hour, when everybody had 30 minutes to play. They were the last band, but my equipment was backstage, so I had to wait til they stopped playing to be able to leave (we generally stay until the end of the event, but they were being very rude). So I wa curious if such things were frequent out of Brazil, or if it was a local thing, as so many other things are peculiar to our local music scene.
Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by mrkeka
Anyway, my question is: Is this a common sort of thing everywhere, Europe, USA, Australia, or just another lovely trait of the disrespectful Brazilian personality?

The only places I've ever heard of this happening is in Latin America, South America, and the Carribean. It's certainly not common in the USA, and I've never heard of this attitude in Europe or Australia.
This sounds like its a problem with how this particular venue runs things, rather than a Brazil-wide thing.

In some cases they give a "load-in" time with the actual soundcheck happening later. In these situations call the sound guy if you can and ask when he would like your specific band to come in.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
This sounds like its a problem with how this particular venue runs things, rather than a Brazil-wide thing.

In some cases they give a "load-in" time with the actual soundcheck happening later. In these situations call the sound guy if you can and ask when he would like your specific band to come in.

Believe me, it's Brazil-wide. The situations I described happened in several different gigs, in different cities and different states. For example, on the gig I had yesterday, where the band wouldn't stop playing, the venue was relatively on time (it's a venue which gets huge bands, like Deep Purple, Blaze Bailey played there the weekend before, etc). The one before, where the owner wanted us to do the soundcheck by ourselves, was in a different gig on the countryside. Every time we play festivals or gigs involving other bands (especially bands playing originals), the other bands are at least an hour or two late, even some bands that are relatively big on the underground scene. On the last band contest we played, the winning band on the finals used their speech to bash the venue which hosted the contest, being that it was one of the two only venues in São Paulo to have band contests with original songs (like I said, it sadly closed down and reopened as a cover band only bar). People (both bands and venue owners) have a gigantic sense of entitlement down here, it gets annoying.
I'm pretty much only venting, and wondering if it's really only down here that these things happen. I always see you, Alan, speking so professionaly about your gigs, I feel this is a South American/Brazilian sort of thing.
Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
It's certainly not common in the USA

how many gigs have you played?

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
how many gigs have you played?

Most gigs around here (Minnesota/Wisconsin border) start on time. I live near the Twin Cities. And I've heard of bands never being rehired if they hold up the gig starting on time. Honestly, that's how it should be.

So, maybe your region is more laid-back.

Imho, bands should be professional enough to be ready to go 30 minutes before they are supposed to be on stage.
Local gigs around here go that way. I have yet to play a local show that ran on time. The last one I did ended up starting two hours late because of sound issues, the venue didn't have mic-stands or mics (!) and one of the opening bands had to bring them, but were running late because of work. I don't know about tour shows.
Quote by mrkeka
Believe me, it's Brazil-wide. The situations I described happened in several different gigs, in different cities and different states. For example, on the gig I had yesterday, where the band wouldn't stop playing, the venue was relatively on time (it's a venue which gets huge bands, like Deep Purple, Blaze Bailey played there the weekend before, etc). The one before, where the owner wanted us to do the soundcheck by ourselves, was in a different gig on the countryside. Every time we play festivals or gigs involving other bands (especially bands playing originals), the other bands are at least an hour or two late, even some bands that are relatively big on the underground scene. On the last band contest we played, the winning band on the finals used their speech to bash the venue which hosted the contest, being that it was one of the two only venues in São Paulo to have band contests with original songs (like I said, it sadly closed down and reopened as a cover band only bar). People (both bands and venue owners) have a gigantic sense of entitlement down here, it gets annoying.
I'm pretty much only venting, and wondering if it's really only down here that these things happen. I always see you, Alan, speking so professionaly about your gigs, I feel this is a South American/Brazilian sort of thing.

You're describing a whole heap of issues there, not just the timing/lateness of the events. If an event ever runs late it will always be because it is run incorrectly, so I'd say that the primary fault would fall on the venue. Even if a band is late does not mean that the event has to start late. It can start on time, the band can have a shortened set because they need to set up gear and soundcheck before their set.

As for the guys who used their speech to insult the venue, do you think that the venue proceeded to give them more gigs? Do you think the venue referred the band to more pubs? The band may as well have announced their break up at that point, or moved to a different city where their reputation did not proceed them.

Lets just focus on this for a second:

Quote by mrkeka
My band has the habit of always coming at the scheduled time, or sometimes even 10 minutes earlier, so we can unload our stuff calmly, with no rush or anything. This has led to us becoming friends with pub owners, scoring larger payments, invitations for exclusive gigs or to parties, free beer, free food, etc.

People clearly appreciate what you are doing. Reputation is everything mate - you will score gigs purely if you are nice to pubs, show up on time, and do a good show. You've learnt this, I see no need to change your ways at this point. The other bands don't show up on time, they get less gigs/cash/success.

However I totally get that some venues are basically making you wait for long periods of time anyway, and this can be a total pain. When venues have done this to me more than once I simply don't play them anymore. If I'm asked back I simply apologise and tell them I have something else booked. I might be in a different position to you though, I'm in a position where I can refuse gigs if I like because I always have a bunch more.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Here is a rule that will serve you well not just in the music industry, but any industry (and just general human interactions) - if you're not 5 minutes early, you're late.

I've shown up to gigs an hour before soundcheck or load-in, and that has saved me on numerous occasions. A band will forget a piece of gear we needed for the show, or a piece of gear will break, and that hour means we can replace it/fix it.

Always be early. Always.
Quote by koslack
Here is a rule that will serve you well not just in the music industry, but any industry (and just general human interactions) - if you're not 5 minutes early, you're late.

I've shown up to gigs an hour before soundcheck or load-in, and that has saved me on numerous occasions. A band will forget a piece of gear we needed for the show, or a piece of gear will break, and that hour means we can replace it/fix it.

Always be early. Always.

5 minutes....damn, I'd have an ulcer....better with 10!! ;-)

Being late is utterly disrespectful.....I wish bandmates would see its the same with rehearsal.....if you show up at the exact time proposed then your late..respect means your standing there, in tune, cable issues sorted and ready to jam.
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy
Quote by AlanHB

However I totally get that some venues are basically making you wait for long periods of time anyway, and this can be a total pain. When venues have done this to me more than once I simply don't play them anymore. If I'm asked back I simply apologise and tell them I have something else booked. I might be in a different position to you though, I'm in a position where I can refuse gigs if I like because I always have a bunch more.

I wish I could be in that same position. Down here, with the lack of rock gigs (especially decently paid rock gigs) and the abundance of cover bands, and even less space for bands that play originals (my band does both, but on separate gigs), if a venue gives you frequent opportunities, you pretty much take it, even if they are disrespectful or something. Unless a place is utterly impossible to play, we play it. Even relatively successful bands go through that. Sometimes even for bands like Sepultura, who wind up playing more outside of Brazil than in Brazil.
Quote by Xiaoxi