I always hear people talking about wanting or needing a amp with a 10 or 12 inch speaker. Is there anything wrong with having a 8inch speaker? I mean not for gigging purposes just in a combo amp used for bedroom practicing
Here's the rule (in three subparts): If you like how something sounds, it suits your purposes, and it's in your budget, go for it. That's all.
Hi, I'm Peter
No it will work, but a 10" speaker will sound fuller than an 8" and a 12" more than the 10"

If you just need sound an 8" will work. I suggest you try the amps your thinking about and then make your judgment.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
They have no bass and sound awful with distortion.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
^ that happens with guitar amps, which are mounted with awful 8" speakers.
Good ones are good, actually, though you'll most likely not find a good 8" speaker in a guitar amp.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Weber and Eminence make a decent 8" replacement, but by the time you add the cost of that in getting a amp with a 10" or 12" stock would have been as cheap
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Spambot_2
^ that happens with guitar amps, which are mounted with awful 8" speakers.
Good ones are good, actually, though you'll most likely not find a good 8" speaker in a guitar amp.

I agree, but isn't that exactly what we're talking about? Guitar amps?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, unless it's in the studio, where anything can be interesting; even an 8 inch speaker that sounds like shit.
It's just physics. You can't move enough air with an 8'' to get nice bottom end, no matter how good your speaker is. It physically can't. However some might like this sound...
^ I was all excited about trying one, but they didn't really sound good if ya ask me.

Quote by Offworld92
I agree, but isn't that exactly what we're talking about? Guitar amps?
I was talking about stock speakers.
As stated, people make stand-alone good 8" guitar amp aimed speakers.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
^ I was all excited about trying one, but they didn't really sound good if ya ask me.

I was talking about stock speakers.
As stated, people make stand-alone good 8" guitar amp aimed speakers.

eh. I can't think of any better alternative than just going straight pod and headphones for the bedroom.

A blackstar HT1 was even too loud for an apartment I was in. My bedroom amp has an 8" speaker. I sit it on top of my orange. If you just care about getting songs right and making music. Yes it is fine.
Last edited by cheesefries at Feb 3, 2014,
My 1964 Fender Champ has an 8" speaker and has a very full sounding low end too. Sounds much better with single coils than with humbuckers though, in my opinion. Just depends on the amp
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Most amps with 8inch speakers are practice amps with cheap components, including the speaker.

I'd rather go for a 12", even for home use as it is more standard, easier to find replacements and easier to sell.

There are some amps that are tuned fairly well with 8" speakers.

Just play your amp first and make sure you can live with the thing tone wise.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by R45VT
Most amps with 8inch speakers are practice amps with cheap components, including the speaker.

I'd rather go for a 12", even for home use as it is more standard, easier to find replacements and easier to sell.

There are some amps that are tuned fairly well with 8" speakers.

Just play your amp first and make sure you can live with the thing tone wise.

I don't see how asking if an 8" speaker is fine goes to talking about resale values and components

A BEDROOM amp is a practice amp yes?
Last edited by cheesefries at Feb 3, 2014,
Quote by Flux'D
My 1964 Fender Champ has an 8" speaker and has a very full sounding low end too. Sounds much better with single coils than with humbuckers though, in my opinion. Just depends on the amp

This. 8" speakers can sound great when combined with a good amp. If we're talking about cheap, practice amps, then it probably won't sound great. But if talking about Fender Champs and Swarts, then an 8" speaker sounds really good. It's definitely not a speaker for everything though.

When it comes to the THR mentioned above, those aren't speakers designed for guitars. Those are full-range speakers. The THR does the amp and cabinet modelling and the speakers just reproduce it. Guitar speakers don't reproduce things faithfully and they're meant to color the signal. An 8" guitar speaker is very different from a 8" full-range speaker.
WGS makes 1 american voiced, 20 watt 8" speaker.

in general, 10s and 12s are ideal. 15 are ok but not in all applications. less than 10 or 12 begin to lack in some frequencies. 10s can be more punchy, generally to get the same "fullness" there are more to a setup than a 12" setup.

12"s are the "perfect" and most versatile speaker size. good for everything. for the modern bedroom player, 8 is probably better though...
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by Flux'D
But everybody knows that a Champ sounds best through a 12" cab.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by USMC_VET_ROCKER
I always hear people talking about wanting or needing a amp with a 10 or 12 inch speaker. Is there anything wrong with having a 8inch speaker? I mean not for gigging purposes just in a combo amp used for bedroom practicing

most guitar speakers are made 12", it is harder to find nicer speakers in the 8", 10" and 15" ranges.

if you draw conclusion off of cone size alone (holding all other variables constant) then the larger the speaker the less low end you'll get. larger speakers are more efficient at producing notes with longer wavelength. that is the theory anyway, the practice once all the other variables are no longer held constant is a far different story.

small speakers can also be incredibly 'tight' sounding, having a cleaner tone at higher distortion settings. the has been the case in the very few direct comparisons i've been able to make (i compared my weber 12" speakers against weber 10" speaker of the same type, and my old 8" and 12" jenson alnico V's seem to do the same thing)

so mainly i'd stay away from smaller speakers mainly because there aren't many good ones out there to choose from. if you like higher gain, you may also want the larger 12" speaker.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by cheesefries
I don't see how asking if an 8" speaker is fine goes to talking about resale values and components

A BEDROOM amp is a practice amp yes?

What are you confused on? Ever try to sell an 8inch speaker? 8inch speaker cab? Combo with 8inch speaker?

Not much demand. Not much resale.

Just trying to throw more information out there.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.