I've been playing guitar since end of August 2013. I started out with acoustic, and got an electric mid-December. Right now, I'm learning the Remnants solo by Disturbed and Don uses a lot of bends. I can get the note just fine, the problem is, when I bend my strings, it's just that one string that bends. And when it's only that one string what happens is that, my fingers that are bending that string, go under the next two strings up so when I release the bend it plucks those two strings. Does that make sense? I hope so. Lol.

My second isssue is that when I'm moving from string to string, my fingers kind of stick to the string I was just on making a pull-off type thing. I can play the part perfectly, its just that background pull-off note that happens.

eb|----------------|----------------------------------------------------------|
Bb|7h8p7-----7h8p7-|10h12p10--------10h12p10--------10h12p10------------------|
Gb|-----9p7h9-----9|--------12p11h12--------12p11h12--------1212p10~10~10~10~-|
Db|----------------|----------------------------------------------------------|
Ab|----------------|----------------------------------------------------------|
Eb|----------------|----------------------------------------------------------|

That part were its the hammer-ons then switching to the next string to do the hammer-ons again. After that second hammer-on (9p7hp) when I have to go back to the second string to do that other hammer-on again, thats where the pull-off note comes from...

I don't know if anything I'm saying will make sense to anyone BUT I REALLY NEED HELP. I already feel accomplished learning all of it in one day. Now, I just need to perfect the notes by fixing these problems.
~Maddi Sweetz~
bar it..When I play it. I bar at the 7th fret and the 10th fret with my index.
I also hammer the 12 fret as a bar with my ring finger . I use my middle finger to hammer
the 11th fret.

kind of like old school cat scratch fever, high and dry(let it go). Seek and destroy ..ect
You just learn how to bend those double stops with your ring finger or hammer
the high end of minor chord with your middle and ring finger.

Some people call it playing off a chord when you do single note runs or whatever.
You'll simply just do pull off or hammer whatever the who scales. if you just bar your
index finger.

Do you notice how the Amin pentatonic has all the notes on the 5th fret?
You just bar those notes sometimes.
You can play seek and destroy main riff just baring the 5th fret and hit
the other chord with your ring finger on the 7th fret or whatever single notes.

You also need to learn how to bend up then hit the high E string with you pinky.
Sometimes you'll have to bend the G string up then hammer the B and E string with
your pinky.
Last edited by smc818 at Feb 3, 2014,
For your bending issue which string are you bending? If it is the high E, B, or G you may want to try resting your palm ( near the bridge) against the the strings that are being plucked, which would effectively end up muting any strings that ring as you release the bend. Just rest it ever so slightly...and it will become second nature.

When you bend different strings, you should just ever so slightly move your palm however you feel comfortable to mute any ringing strings.

I used to have the same problem when I first started playing years ago. Now...I do not even think about it anymore.

If I misunderstood your problem and it is not a ringing issue after the strings are being plucked then you may just have a bad technique of bending in and of itself, that needs some fixing.
Last edited by Unreal T at Feb 4, 2014,
Quote by Unreal T
For your bending issue which string are you bending? If it is the high E, B, or G you may want to try resting your palm ( near the bridge) against the the strings that are being plucked, which would effectively end up muting any strings that ring as you release the bend. Just rest it ever so slightly...and it will become second nature.

When you bend different strings, you should just ever so slightly move your palm however you feel comfortable to mute any ringing strings.

I used to have the same problem when I first started playing years ago. Now...I do not even think about it anymore.

If I misunderstood your problem and it is not a ringing issue after the strings are being plucked then you may just have a bad technique of bending in and of itself, that needs some fixing.

^

What he said. Your real problem is that you aren't muting enough. This problem doesn't exist just for bending. In most cases, you're going to get sympathetic resonance in other strings while you're playing. That's where muting comes in.

Watch this video by Freepower: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIEnzboW0Hc
Okay.. So, it's just my technique. That's what I'm going with... I bend on high E and B. At a certain part of the solo, I bend At 9 with my ring finger and middle finger(on the same string but on the 6th fret for extra support to bend that string)... To mute the G string, do I just use my index finger, barred? Sorry for so many questions. I just wanna perfect this song. :3
~Maddi Sweetz~
Where do you keep your picking hand as you are playing? It should be rested in a place where the side of your picking hand palm just lightly ever so slightly touches the lower strings to prevent ringing. Once you start get in the habit of doing that you can mute any noise that is unwanted.

To mute the G string..have your palm side of picking hand work in tandem with your bending/fretting hand by just ever so slightly touching near the bridge.
Last edited by Unreal T at Feb 4, 2014,
I usually have my hand hover over the strings (because I used to end up muting the strings to having some random harmonic note while playing) or it's on the bridge as a resting place for my picking hand. And thanks, I'll be sure to try that.
~Maddi Sweetz~
Quote by smc818
bar it.

Let's start off here and say please don't do this.

Finger independence is something you need to learn cleanly earlier on to avoid mistakes down the line. barring and finger rolling is never a good practice idea.

Second off, there's always the chance that solo could be out of your comfort zone, only having experience with the instrument for 7 months and all.

practice it as slow and as clean as you can. A correct pull off should leave no notes ringing. Your index finger should be muting the ones below it. ALWAYS. No exceptions. the tip of it should ALWAYS be muting the one above it (there are exceptions. If you want i can go into detail about them)

while not the most technical of solos, there are things that less experienced players may not be able to grasp. I'm not attacking you personally, nor am I trying to discourage you. Just trying to help you avoid the mistakes that I made, learned, developed and then omitted years ago.
ayy lmao