Hey guys I've been on an amp hunt lately. Just sold my TH30 head and cabs and have been wanting a much smaller lighter setup. I tried out a few amps at the store and I really like the Marshall DSL40c. It's smoother and more classic voiced than the TH30 which is what I'm going for. Love the idea of carrying a cab in one hand and a guitar in the other again. I can tell the stock speaker will probably be swapped out at some point but it is usable as is. I have a few speakers at the house to try out.

My question is could a Marshall 112 on a speaker stand provide good stage volume? I'm 99% sure it can. I play with a drummer with an OCDP kit and Zildjian Z Rock Custom Cymbals (loud!). I'm at most 15 feet from the farthest band buddy. Most gain I need is 80s hair metalish stuff and that is not very often.

I do have an Orange 412 cab I can piggyback it with if I have to but I don't really ever want to take that big monster out of the house. Ever. I'm tired of carrying 100 lb cabs. Mostly playing for crowds under 500 indoors mic'd through single 15s.
Last edited by cheesefries at Feb 3, 2014,
Quote by cheesefries
Hey guys I've been on an amp hunt lately. Just sold my TH30 head and cabs and have been wanting a much smaller lighter setup. I tried out a few amps at the store and I really like the Marshall DSL40c. It's smoother and more classic voiced than the TH30 which is what I'm going for. Love the idea of carrying a cab in one hand and a guitar in the other again. I can tell the stock speaker will probably be swapped out at some point but it is usable as is. I have a few speakers at the house to try out.

My question is could a Marshall 112 on a speaker stand provide good stage volume? I'm 99% sure it can. I play with a drummer with an OCDP kit and Zildjian Z Rock Custom Cymbals (loud!). I'm at most 15 feet from the farthest band buddy. Most gain I need is 80s hair metalish stuff and that is not very often.

I do have an Orange 412 cab I can piggyback it with if I have to but I don't really ever want to take that big monster out of the house. Ever. I'm tired of carrying 100 lb cabs. Mostly playing for crowds under 500 indoors mic'd through single 15s.

if its mic'd like most gig's are (or should be) if your mic'd tthe sound guy mixes you. so thats not a big deal. i have gigged my 18w clone i built, mic and it was perfect. so that won't be a problem (but that is a loud amp) and haven't had a problem.

wattage is more of a headroom thing not as much volume as you would think. a 10 watt is half as loud as a 100 watt amp. 10 watts is still loud.

i can't remember which of the combo jcm's had issues with the rectifier overheating. so check int that.

whats your budget?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup

i can't remember which of the combo jcm's had issues with the rectifier overheating. so check int that.

That was the DSL401 as far as I know, but the amp he is talking about isn't JCM, it's one of those new DSL amps.
JCA50 112 combo.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by JackovSlayer
That was the DSL401 as far as I know, but the amp he is talking about isn't JCM, it's one of those new DSL amps.

to myself. just not thinking. yea DSL401.

the DSL's are decent amps.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
If portability is a concern, check out the Egnater Tweaker-112. I've been looking for the same thing, and so far that's the best combo option I've found. Egnater says that the combo is only 30 lbs. I don't know if that's true or not, because that's insanely light for a tube amp, and their actual Tweaker 112X cab is stated to weigh 45 lbs. But just throwing that out there. A lot of people love theirs, and if you thought the DSL40 sounded good, you would probably think the Tweaker sounds great (lol).
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X