I love the look of aged guitar tops, which is why I got the Epiphone Inspired By 1964 Texan, but that guitar has a buzzing problem around the nut, and replacing it, the saddle, and adjusting the truss rod isn't helping, so I am getting a refund. My question is, if I get another guitar around that price range, ($400) how can I age it quickly to make the top darken? Another question, do Epiphones have a tendancy to buzz like that, or did I just get bad luck of the draw?
It's not really my thing, but I saw a guy on here do the best relicing jobs I've ever seen. He didn't just chip off some paint and rust up the hardware like most people, he somehow got the finish to crack realistically like a 50 year old paint job would. Give me a bit to find the thread, maybe you can ask him for tips.

EDIT: Here's his thread https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=31010079

The pictures don't work, but you can still find them here:

http://s359.photobucket.com/user/8d2studios/library/2012%20Relic%20Project%2055%20Goldtop%20WT?sort=3&page=1
Last edited by Telecaster7 at Feb 3, 2014,
In stead of trying to fake it, why not go buy an older guitar. Chances are it will sound better than the new one you are trying to wreck.
I wouldn't have a epiphone in my stable if you paid me. But thats just me. I understand china sends them out by the guzzillion. Have some patience look around you might find a tidy older Yamaha
or even a real Guild, Seagull the list goes on. Cheers
You can usually find decent older guitars at a flea market or swap meet. At least in the midwest. Not many gibsons or the like, but I've seen an occasional seagull and plenty of yamahas. Even an old no name that was not bad sounding.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
I would first recommend just actually looking for an older guitar like mentioned above.. Otherwise:

steve's guitar site

That's supposed to give you some decent results from what I've heard, however aging a guitar unnaturally can easily turn out really badly. The best thing to keep in mind is to NOT overdo it. Don't just go hog wild with some sanding paper and expect it to turn out good.

The best way is always to do it naturally over time. You just simply have to...well...not take care of your guitar like it's an infant. Treat it like an adult (and take it out for a few drinks at a bar) and it'll eventually look how you treated it: older.

Also, invest in one of these if you're going natural. Every time I get a crack in my finish (with exposed wood), I'll dab some on a Q-tip and work it into the crack. It makes it look like the crack's been there a long time.
Hit it with a hammer a few times. It'll give it that "fell off the strap kinda look" real fast. Or you could stop worrying about how cool or uncool you think your guitar looks and just play the damn thing for a few years.....
all good advice. especially bigdirty's. i would try to find an old red or black label Yamaha.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Okay, I will look for an old guitar, if I can't get my Epiphone fixed. Has anybody else had this weird buzzing issue with an epiphone?
Well you say it's buzzing at the nut. Is that open? or when you fret notes?

If it's on open strings then you need a new nut as it's probably ground in too far. Just gluing a new one in though isn't the right way to do it. You have to do a little bit of modification to fit the guitar perfectly, meaning grinding it down with sound paper to give you the proper height as well as grinding down the slots a bit to fit the strings. There are plenty of videos on youtube that explain how to do that properly. If you still have trouble, Guitar Center will make you one and give your guitar a full set up for around $100. I don't exactly recommend that because with about an hour of labor and <$20, you can do it yourself.

If it's buzzing when you fret notes, it could be your action or truss rod. I find if it's buzzing on frets 1-4 ish, then the truss rod needs to be bowed a little bit more, and if it's on your higher frets, then the bridge needs to be raised.

If it's only on a certain string, it could be that the individual string slot on the bridge isn't high enough.

Good luck :-)
Last edited by mjones1992 at Feb 5, 2014,
It is the open G string, and it's not the nut height, I don't think. I've had the nut replaced twice now, and it's still there. No fretted notes buzz, just the open G.
Quote by rotoball95
It is the open G string, and it's not the nut height, I don't think. I've had the nut replaced twice now, and it's still there. No fretted notes buzz, just the open G.
Maybe one of the frets is too high The 1st fret sounds like it might be a suspect. The G string is usually the lowest part of the saddle. What does the saddle curve look like in relation to the neck radius? Is it shallower than the neck radius? How about the neck relief?

Other than that, have your guitar played by other people in shifts , like when you're sleeping.

Take it to a lot of picnics this summer, and leave it on the package tray of your car......, or not.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Feb 6, 2014,