I'm wondering why no one makes a V guitar with a hardtail bridge. I, for one, would love to see that. I've seen one V with a hardtail. But, it's fernandes signature. Does anyone know why they don't produce a V with something like a hip shot, or goto?
"I'm wondering why no one makes a V guitar with a hardtail bridge. I, for one, would love to see that."

All the original Gibsons were hardtail since 1958. most of the Japanese copies of the 70s were the same. No shortage of them out there.
Quote by ESBlonde
"I'm wondering why no one makes a V guitar with a hardtail bridge. I, for one, would love to see that."

All the original Gibsons were hardtail since 1958. most of the Japanese copies of the 70s were the same. No shortage of them out there.

Really? I've never seen one.
There's a couple of exceptions, but almost every Gibson Flying V (and most of the copies) ever made has a fixed bridge of some kind.

They're generally the most common bridge V's have. The exceptions are mostly Floyds.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Feb 4, 2014,
Schecter used to make them, though now it seems all their Vs have a FR bridge.

And anything Gibson/Epiphone should be in a hardtail format.

I agree though, most companies that make V-style guitars just assume that we all want a floating bridge. I have a FR on mine and you know what I did when I got it? I marched straight to my shop, grabbed a chunk of oak and fitted a block for either side of the tremelo block. Now I've got better sustain, better tone, and the bridge doesn't move/de-tune when I pick hard. Plus the fine-tuners still work, which is a nice bonus.
Quote by KailM
Schecter used to make them, though now it seems all their Vs have a FR bridge.

And anything Gibson/Epiphone should be in a hardtail format.

I agree though, most companies that make V-style guitars just assume that we all want a floating bridge. I have a FR on mine and you know what I did when I got it? I marched straight to my shop, grabbed a chunk of oak and fitted a block for either side of the tremelo block. Now I've got better sustain, better tone, and the bridge doesn't move/de-tune when I pick hard. Plus the fine-tuners still work, which is a nice bonus.

Haha, exactly. I locked my trem off, as well. And OFR certainly makes a nice hardtail. I'm just one those people where if I'm not going to be using a trem, then I don't need one. I would use it. The only reason I locked it off is becauese I change tunings, a lot. I love V guitars. I would simply like more options. But alas, such is the way of the world.
Reverend volcano is hard tail, carvin makes a v you can pick the type of bridge on, there's also a few deans and Gibsons out there.
Erm.... Most V guitars are hardtail.

Hamer, Dean, Schecter, Gibson, Epiphone, Reverend...

The only ones I can think of that have trems are BC Rich Vs and Jacksons. Both companies still make their models in hardtail format though.

Maybe you mean a tailpiece. A few of the guitars are string-through so they don't have one, but they're still hardtail guitars.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I was going to mention the Rev, but got beaten to it. DBZ, Fernandes and US Masters also make hardtail Vs.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Most V's are hard-tail, very few are trems.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
When I think of V I think hardtail.

to me iits like asking "Why no one makes a strat with a trem"

but this is what I think of when I think of a V
Last edited by cheesefries at Feb 4, 2014,
Quote by Tylander
I'm wondering why no one makes a V guitar with a hardtail bridge.

But seriously, can you post a picture of what you call a 'hardtail bridge' in case you may be using the word incorrectly (which is okay, it happens to the best of us!). The term generally refers to any bridge that is fixed in place as opposed to a vibrato arm.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Sorry, it's how I Differentiate. When I say "hardtail", I'm referring to a tailpiece. Not a TOM bridge. Such as a hipshot.
Like a wrap around tailpiece?

Or a TOM with a tailpiece?

Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
A hardtail is a specific type of bridge. What exactly do you mean. Locking, trem, non trem, what?
Semantics. Since about 1965 or so, a hardtail has meant a non-tremolo bridge.
Recently, apparently, we've begun to see manufacturers eager to differentiate the various KINDS of hardtail into string-through body, TOM (which I thought was a bridge type), tailpiece, trapeze, etc. I'm not sure what they call a 2TEK or the self-tuner TransPerformance gizmo or the Kahler non-trem bridge or the Steinberger non-trem bridge, etc., but most of those, to me, fall under the general classification of hardtail.
I've always looked at hardtails as the bridge I linked, earlier. TOM bridges to me meant something completely different. My classifications were Hardtail, TOM, and tremolo. But, I now see the error of my ways. I shall flog myself 10 times. Excuse me.
My Dean VMNT is string-thru, but I'm pretty sure I'd call it a hard tail. :P
Yeah, I figured you meant an "all-in-one" non-tremolo bridge. The reason you do not see them is that most "V" shaped guitars harken back to the Gibson Flying V, which had a stop tail and a tune-o-matic bridge. I suppose they did not want to deviate too much from the original. Later, as the "V" guitars became staples of heavy metal, people wanted Floyd Rose tremolos (or something similar), so they went with that. If there were a big demand for a "V" with an all-in-one fixed bridge, someone would make it. As it is, it would mean modifying an existing model and purchasing (or making) a non-standard bridge for that guitar. The manufacturers will not go through the expense and effort unless they think there is a market for it.

If you really want one, it would be easy enough to remove the stop tail/tune-o-matic bridge from a Flying V and retrofit it to take such a bridge.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
Yeah, I figured you meant an "all-in-one" non-tremolo bridge. The reason you do not see them is that most "V" shaped guitars harken back to the Gibson Flying V, which had a stop tail and a tune-o-matic bridge. I suppose they did not want to deviate too much from the original. Later, as the "V" guitars became staples of heavy metal, people wanted Floyd Rose tremolos (or something similar), so they went with that. If there were a big demand for a "V" with an all-in-one fixed bridge, someone would make it. As it is, it would mean modifying an existing model and purchasing (or making) a non-standard bridge for that guitar. The manufacturers will not go through the expense and effort unless they think there is a market for it.

If you really want one, it would be easy enough to remove the stop tail/tune-o-matic bridge from a Flying V and retrofit it to take such a bridge.

What sort of modifications would it require?
Most V guitars have an angled neckpocket this requires a TOM type bridge to get the action right most of the time.

That is why you don't see a lot of the type of bridge your talking about.

It is that easy
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
A hardtail can simply refer to any kind of bridge that doesn't move or it could be another name for a strat-style fixed bridge. There is no set in stone definition. I'm not going to bother going any further into this thread though. Semantics are boring.
Quote by FatalGear41

Having a 1 piece bridge like a wraparound or a strat-style fixed bridge would look absolutely god awful on a V imo.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Feb 5, 2014,