There's no advantages or disadvantages to either design, its just a matter of what you prefer.

Generally speaking, closed back cabinets give you more low end while open-backed cabs sound a lot brighter.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I always thought it would be cool to have a back that you could slide, so open a bit or a lot,easy and versatile. Depends on the room and how close to a wall etc. also
Cabinets do exist were the 'openness' of the cab can be fully adjusted by using ports of different sizes and in varying locations. If you're really into doing that sort of thing, you can easily make a bulkhead for the back of your cabinet that'll freely allow you to do that.

You can even make calculations as to how a certain port arrangements will affect the back pressure of the cabinet.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Feb 3, 2014,
Zilla makes convertible cabs, for instance.

Adding to what was said before, a closed-back cabinet will project the sound in a lineair way, an open back cabinet will fill the room more, IIRC.
^ yeah.

and in terms of musical styles (generalisation alert) you normally want closed for heavier stuff and open for lighter.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Traynor's 112 and 212 DarkHorse cabinets are "convertible", in that they are closed back, but you can remove covers to make them more open-back, if that interests you TS.
Gear:

Fender American Hand Stained stratocaster
Fender 72' Telecaster Deluxe FSR

Squier Vista Venus

Boss TU-3
Boss OD-3
Pro co Rat 2
EHX Big Muff Nano
EHX Small clone
Boss DD7
Hardwire Supernatural

Vox AC30cc1
Blackheart Little Giant stack
This thread helped me, guys. After 16 years of playing, one would think I should know such information. Lol

However, my assumptions were pretty spot-on....
i have a convertible avatar cab. i have used it open and closed. same cab and everything. i would say that as a whole, your amp still sounds like your amp. its not going to "transform" your sound.

however, i have decided to remain with closed back for a few reasons:
1. tighter sound. i think the response, especially in the base, is tighter
2. perhaps because of #1, your sound seems to have more presence and punch
3. not too much else changes, so really i see very little negatives
4. most times on stage, you either mic, or want all volume going to the crowd. most times your are in front of your amp, of you have PA / Monitor setup, not needing sound from all angles (out the back.
5. with it off, i am left with a peice of wood that has screws hanging out of it sitting around my room. anoying / dangerous.
6. nothing can get in and damaged your speakers in transport.
7. most likely a stronger design.

thats about it. so yeah im a closed guy now. before this i figured open would be better.....
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Just be aware that a closed back is more directional so point the thing at your head.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
With my closed back cab I needed it tilted and pointed at my head to truly figure out what I am doing with my tone. A friend of mine practices with his open-back combo hidden behind a sofa Then again he is a bluesy guy...