Can you actually wear Chuck Taylor All-Stars for basketballing purposes?

Page 1 of 2
Like seriously, can they really be that bad? Almost every response I could find via Google said they should be avoided like the plague.

I have a pair of hi-tops, which are far too dirty/worn to be used in a game, but I've been wearing them while practicing in the backyard for a few weeks and they feel fine. If I do them up tightly enough, they feel supportive around the ankle/don't roll at all the only thing is our backyard is just dirt (Aussie FTW) and maybe they don't grip as well as more modern shoes on a proper court or something.

Does anyone know first hand if they are as horrendous as the people who answer questions on yahoo answers and list their source(s) as "Well I might know a little bit about basketball."?

It's just they are like $50 at DFO which is way less than half of basically all of the bigger brands' new shoes, and then if I suck at least I can still be stylish but if they are actually a danger to my health, what do you suggest?
Playing basketball barefoot has been shown to increase your performance by as much as 10%!
There is a reason they are no longer used as basketball shoes. playing basketball in your backyard on dirt doesn't really make them any more likely to be useful as basketball shoes than wearing ugg's on a paved trail through the woods makes ugg's useful hiking boots.

canvas isn't really very supportive or breathable and the soles aren't very good for basketball. you can find good basketball shoes for $50, though. y'know, ones that are intended for modern day people playing basketball... >_>

No, you will absolutely kill your feet

Source: Stupid 7th grade me

Buy real basketball shoes
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by metal4eva_22
Playing basketball barefoot has been shown to increase your performance by as much as 10%!

Shoes are counter-evolutionary. Our feet have evolved to their current form over all these years, and now we dumb them down to shoes. Take them off, you don't know what you're missing.

(for the record, Vibrams are awesome)
I wore Chuck T's for my 5th grade season in CYO basketball.
Between 5th and 6th grade I averaged 1.5 points a season.
With that being said, it probably wasn't the shoes, but I'm sure they didn't help.
Quote by ShaunDiel
Listen to this man. His 2 ideas in five minutes have shat all over your serious ideas.
Quote by WCPhils
No, you will absolutely kill your feet

Source: Stupid 7th grade me

Buy real basketball shoes

/thread
Sail upon the open skies
I'm an amateur at best but I love the sport.
Quite sure ankle support is key... can't see how canvas does that.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
They are only good if you are an All Star, hence the name.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Why yes, yes you can .
Should you? Well your internet searching says no.
Whats goes around must come down
chucks are pretty much useless for anything but casual wearing

if you try skateboarding in them, you'll tear the fabric up the second you try to pop your board

running them is just abusive

they looked cool when old ass basketball players used to play in them + the short shorts but i can't imagine that going over too well

nope. ESPECIALLY not on an actual court. having absolute no grip seriously hinders their ability, that and being completely unsupportive.

Chucks excel in one particular area:

Chucks are the absolute best driving (we're talking for a manual car here, obviously) shoes I've ever owned. Got a heavy clutch? wear chucks. the thin sole means you feel everything. next best thing to barefoot, except having a sole gives you control where barefoot does not.
There's no ankle support for chucks. I used to ball in them and I fell down a few times because of them.

Honesty, just wear mid to high top sports sneakers. Air Force Ones fo lyfe bruh bruh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfzsMQGqrt0
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
They offer zero traction. The sole is like... fuzzy.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
nope. ESPECIALLY not on an actual court. having absolute no grip seriously hinders their ability, that and being completely unsupportive.

Chucks are the absolute best driving (we're talking for a manual car here, obviously) shoes I've ever owned. Got a heavy clutch? wear chucks. the thin sole means you feel everything. next best thing to barefoot, except having a sole gives you control where barefoot does not.

Squats
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
No support anywhere means they are bad shoes for any type of sports, especially something as strainful on the ankles and foot sole like Basketball.

I like how they look, though. They're pretty cool shoes for regular days.
Quote by MinterMan22
chucks are pretty much useless for anything but casual wearing

Yeah. The moment you try to do use them for anything besides just walking, they will just tear themselves apart. It took me a while, but I figured that out after some of my first pairs of All Stars wouldn't even last a year.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

Absolutely. It's like the difference between an automatic or manual trans, you just feel so much more attached to the road with a manual. The Chucks are the most solid shoes I've ever worn, what you see is what you get and you start noticing rocks on the ground and small branches.

Quote by Way Cool JR.
I don't know why they have them like that nowadays, they were never like that back in the day. I wore quite a few chucks from the '70s to the early '90s and none of them had the felt like fuzz on the bottoms. They had really, really good grip on hard wood and tile floors back then. I have 3 pairs of Chucks now that i bought in the past couple years and they certainly don't grip the floors like they use to. I have no clue to why they started making them like that.

It's just like a fabric sticker. They peel off if you wear them, you might be able to peel it with a knife or something though
Quote by silhouettica
Oh, DON'T use a knife. It cuts through your strings. I did that once, thinking, its the Low E, its invincible. Turns out, its not...

Quote by Kensai
Awesome
actually the fuzzy sole shit is there so they can pass the shoes off as slippers instead of sneakers while importing them which lowers the tariff substantially

EVERYONE knows the more you spend on shoes the faster they make you run and the higher they make you jump. If they have lights and are a signature edition that just increases their performance 20%
God no. You'll break your ankles the moment you try and cross someone. Or the moment they cross you and you fall for it. GG ankles, GG feet
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by lolmnt
Squats

Oh god this too. I usually wear nike frees in the gym, but chucks are awesome for a lot of power lifting

OT: best ball shoes i've ever owned?

back in the day, these were UNREAL ball shoes. somewhere in my house there's an old beat up pair that I actually played in, and another pair in a box with the tags on while I wait for them to go up in value. sneakerheads are funny like that
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Feb 4, 2014,
Quote by Way Cool JR.
I don't know why they have them like that nowadays, they were never like that back in the day. I wore quite a few chucks from the '70s to the early '90s and none of them had the felt like fuzz on the bottoms. They had really, really good grip on hard wood and tile floors back then. I have 3 pairs of Chucks now that i bought in the past couple years and they certainly don't grip the floors like they use to. I have no clue to why they started making them like that.

I thought they were much better for pretty much anything before it was like felt. But what Minter said would make sense. Though I have to say, they do make the best driving shoes around. I'm sure if they were grippier, it wouldn't be as nice.
I once went for a jog in low top Chuck Taylors and i could barely walk the next day. I had ran on a treadmill in them before and it was fine, but i think running on the hard pavement in flat sole shoes was probably a bad idea.

So no, i wouldn't use them for basketball, or sports in general.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Quote by SaintsofNowhere
There is a reason they are no longer used as basketball shoes. playing basketball in your backyard on dirt doesn't really make them any more likely to be useful as basketball shoes than wearing ugg's on a paved trail through the woods makes ugg's useful hiking boots.

canvas isn't really very supportive or breathable and the soles aren't very good for basketball. you can find good basketball shoes for $50, though. y'know, ones that are intended for modern day people playing basketball... >_>

That! I got some Jordans for $30 off FinishLine.com. I terribly terrible sprained my ankle a few years ago, and the Jordans offer excellent ankle support. When I saw them on the website, I went to the Finish Line mall-location and the only shoes they had under $50 were black on black chucks, like OP described. I played with them once and hated them. Traded them back in and just bought the Jordan's off the website. I couldn't be happier.

So yes, you can wear them. Come down on someone's foot in a game and it could be all she wrote for your ankle. They have the minimum amount of support a shoe could give you.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Quote by Skynyrd890
I'm sure if they were grippier, it wouldn't be as nice.

this is the exact reason. I roll off the clutch with my heel on the floor, rather than using my entire leg, so chucks have the perfect amount of slip while still maintaining ideal control. I can't wear anything else while driving. I keep a pair in my trunk for switching into to drive if I'm wearing boots or dress shoes to go out.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
this is the exact reason. I roll off the clutch with my heel on the floor, rather than using my entire leg, so chucks have the perfect amount of slip while still maintaining ideal control. I can't wear anything else while driving. I keep a pair in my trunk for switching into to drive if I'm wearing boots or dress shoes to go out.

Great roadtrip footwear.
Awesome response guys thanks! Haha so I've been looking at Converse's modern-day shoes and they've made more modern versions of their shoes from the 70s and 80s like the Weapon and the Pro Leathers, I was just wondering out of curiosity, have they done anything like that for the All-Stars?

Their Defcon or Star Player Evos look pretty nice... they're not too expensive either haha should I?
When I bought a pair trying to be cool in 7h grade my feet hurt after just walking around school for a bit. I can't imagine how sore they would be after ten minutes of basketball, on any surface.
Quote by genghisgandhi
is this true?

I've heard it before from a reliable source, I'm gonna say yes
Page 1 of 2