Hello guys! So i have come across a problem. In standard when i am palm muting the E string it seams to be "crackling" a little. It doesn't sound like it did it just sounds weird. any ideas what that could be?

Alright now that i got that out of the way i want some help with my tone. Im playing on a peavey ultra combo and i have emg 81/60. i have a digitech bad monkey and a ge-7 eq (which i plan on returning to guitar center). i want to get that awsome 80s metal tone like metallica, pantara, and megadeth. also i want to try and get something of a bullet for my valentine kind of sound which has been pretty hard as they use really high gain amps (6505).

Any ideas, suggestions or general thoughts are greatly appreciated.

And before anyone says just mess around with stuff and you will get something i have been doing that for about a week and i just cant seams to bring something to my liking. And if you guys have any suggestions on any pedals i could pick up (not to expensive) to help my tone out for the whole metal thing i would love to hear that as well. Thanks!!!
Quote by ENISA
Hello guys! So i have come across a problem. In standard when i am palm muting the E string it seams to be "crackling" a little. It doesn't sound like it did it just sounds weird. any ideas what that could be?

Alright now that i got that out of the way i want some help with my tone. Im playing on a peavey ultra combo and i have emg 81/60. i have a digitech bad monkey and a ge-7 eq (which i plan on returning to guitar center). i want to get that awsome 80s metal tone like metallica, pantara, and megadeth. also i want to try and get something of a bullet for my valentine kind of sound which has been pretty hard as they use really high gain amps (6505).

Any ideas, suggestions or general thoughts are greatly appreciated.

And before anyone says just mess around with stuff and you will get something i have been doing that for about a week and i just cant seams to bring something to my liking. And if you guys have any suggestions on any pedals i could pick up (not to expensive) to help my tone out for the whole metal thing i would love to hear that as well. Thanks!!!

the clicking noise is probably you strings touching the poles on the pickup. if so lower it or just adjust. may be techniqe. maybe you are palm muting too hard.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
keep in mind that the Ultra has active EQ so standard setting won't work. between 0-5 you get the standard eq curve after 5 it starts to add more of whatever function the knob is.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
the clicking noise is probably you strings touching the poles on the pickup. if so lower it or just adjust. may be techniqe. maybe you are palm muting too hard.

Nah man i know how to palm mute it is like a little cracking in the amp it wouldnt be any kind of fret buzz or anything
Quote by monwobobbo
keep in mind that the Ultra has active EQ so standard setting won't work. between 0-5 you get the standard eq curve after 5 it starts to add more of whatever function the knob is.
Where did you find that?
Not that I don't trust you, I just have never heard of such eq system :P

Anyway TS, do you hear the crackling sound when you're not palm muting?
Do you hear it only when you're playing certain strings?

As for the tone, boost the thing and raise the highs.
That's just about as much as you can do with that equipment if ya ask me.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Well right now i have bass 7 mids 2 and treble 7. and i found that i need to have the master volume and the crunch channel volume almost all the way up to get a decently loud noise and it isnt even that loud.
So the crackling thing is there even when you're not playing?
Then it may be a preamp tube.
Or a cable gone bad.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
If tried several cables and the cracking noise isnt really there when im not playing but i have to turn the guitar up to 100% volume along with the master and the crunch channel volumes to get it so it sounds like it was when master and crunch were on 1 volume. (it is super quiet)
Hey guys i found out the problem in 1 of my pedals in my effects loop was low so it kinda cut the sound off
Hey guys i found out the problem in 1 of my pedals in my effects loop was low so it kinda cut the sound off
You have the amp turned almost all the way up, and it isn't that loud? Now, I've never played a tube amp. But, aren't those things insanely loud at around 2?
yeah that is why it was bothering me. what i did was i unplugged both the send and return of the effects loop signal but i had the volume all the way up so when i did that it was on 10 master and 10 volume and my guitar was ringing out so it was pretty bad haha
Glad it all worked out. You have a killer amp there. I never had problems getting Metallica/Megadeth/Panters tones out of my Ultra 1x12. I had a Vintage 30 in there. Using 81s with the button pushed in on the gain channel was a lot of distortion for me. Maybe not BFMV heavy, but heavy none the less. It's the only amp I slightly regret letting go.
Quote by bish0p3473
Glad it all worked out. You have a killer amp there. I never had problems getting Metallica/Megadeth/Panters tones out of my Ultra 1x12. I had a Vintage 30 in there. Using 81s with the button pushed in on the gain channel was a lot of distortion for me. Maybe not BFMV heavy, but heavy none the less. It's the only amp I slightly regret letting go.

This is great to hear!!! yeah i have a wsg Veteran 30 in mine right now and i am driving the crunch channel a little more with my bad monkey (might be replacing it with a ts9). bullet uses 6505 amps and i think they also drive them with ts9s so they get a very heavy tone.
^ will not really change a lot, it's more of a matter of tone.
Oh and don't cut the mids that much.

I get a decent BFMV tone with a compressor to get the sound a bit punchier (I got a mini 3630 :P) and to boost my distortion pedal.
The distortion pedal isn't even set to that high gain of a setting.
The amp is a warm clean tube amp with the bass a bit cut, the highs a bit raised and the mids high like mother****ers.

So, seriously, try not to cut the mids that much, it helps a lot.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2

So, seriously, try not to cut the mids that much, it helps a lot.

yeah right now for my bullet tone i got my lows on 6 my mids on about 5.5 and my treb at like 7.5 to 8. im also using my bad monkey with the bass and treb at noon the level maxed and the gain all the way off and it is a decent tone.
You guys had a great sound! did you just go right into the ultra or did you boost it with something?
Quote by bish0p3473
12/24 March Of The Kings

12/24 Sarajevo

Here are two vids when I still had the Ultra. I wish I had some better ones for heavy stuff. These are from TSO tribute band. The Ultra had some screaming tone that day.

Music sounds decent, the crowd sucked though.

reminded me of Sonata Arctica/Trans Siberian type rifts
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Straight into the amp with the gain button pushed in. The sound guy told me he never EQed my rig through the mains. The other guy used an L6 Flextone 2. Lots of EQ through the front.
Quote by Spambot_2
Where did you find that?
Not that I don't trust you, I just have never heard of such eq system :P

Anyway TS, do you hear the crackling sound when you're not palm muting?
Do you hear it only when you're playing certain strings?

As for the tone, boost the thing and raise the highs.
That's just about as much as you can do with that equipment if ya ask me.

owners manual for that amp (which I own)