So I'm here to be enlightened about how I should set up my very very near future rack setup. I'm currently in the process of building a decent rack unit and currently the only one I have in front of me is my audio interface (Focusrite Saffire Pro 40). I also have a Fractal Axe FX-II coming my way very soon. Now, my question is do I need a power amp, or a power conditioner of any sort (like one of those rackmountable Furman power things) to run these units? I also have a Korg rack tuner and an Avalon mic preamp coming in shortly after my Axe FX-II.

TL;DR

I have:
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
Fractal Axe FX-II
Korg DTR 2000
Avalon Vt-737sp

Questions:
Do I need a power conditioner? (I see Furmans everywhere on these kind of setups)
Do I need a power amp? (Matrix GT1000?)
Should I be looking into investing in anything else?
(I will be using this gear for home studio recording)

I'd appreciate any advice or pointers. Thanks in advance.
Only recording?

I think the axe already has a power conditioner itself, though the rest of the stuff most likely doesn't.
You may wanna buy one if you want to have a reeeeeeeeeeeeeally 99,99% clean sound coming out of the whole thing, though the quality of the stuff overall is good, thus you may save up and buy something more useful first.

If you just wanna record the axe, you don't need a power amp, which would be needed if you were to drive a cab.

You seem to have pretty much what's needed for good guitar sound processing, so?
Well you may want some effect processors.
Fancy some compressors or good digital reverbs or something of that sort?

If you don't, you're pretty much set if you ask me, that's a nice setup.
If you want some processors then, you may get something like a lexicon mx/pcm depending on the budget, an alesis 3632 if you fancy the sound...
Or you could be really cool and find yourself a 2 to 8 channels 500 series rackmount and go around lurking for neve EQs and fancy stuff of the sort.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
Only recording?

I think the axe already has a power conditioner itself, though the rest of the stuff most likely doesn't.
You may wanna buy one if you want to have a reeeeeeeeeeeeeally 99,99% clean sound coming out of the whole thing, though the quality of the stuff overall is good, thus you may save up and buy something more useful first.

If you just wanna record the axe, you don't need a power amp, which would be needed if you were to drive a cab.

You seem to have pretty much what's needed for good guitar sound processing, so?
Well you may want some effect processors.
Fancy some compressors or good digital reverbs or something of that sort?

If you don't, you're pretty much set if you ask me, that's a nice setup.
If you want some processors then, you may get something like a lexicon mx/pcm depending on the budget, an alesis 3632 if you fancy the sound...
Or you could be really cool and find yourself a 2 to 8 channels 500 series rackmount and go around lurking for neve EQs and fancy stuff of the sort.

Wow, thanks a bunch man. This helps a lot. I appreciate it.
Quote by nignog
]
Do I need a power conditioner? (I see Furmans everywhere on these kind of setups)

you don't need a furman, though i have furmans in my rack setup. yes i have them for surge protection and power, but i mainly got them so i can plug everything in the rack up to and just have one cord to plug in the wall to power all my rack gear.

Quote by nignog
]Do I need a power amp? (Matrix GT1000?)

i have a power amp in my setup, i wanted to have the option of playing directly out of the my rack gear as well as playing back recordings over speakers. for that i'd need a power amp.

if you don't need to play out of the gear and if you already have powered studio monitors (or a stereo) then there is probably little reason to get a power amp.

Quote by nignog
]Should I be looking into investing in anything else?
(I will be using this gear for home studio recording)

i have a presonus central station, it just allows for multiple inputs and outputs for routing your monitoring. that can be useful if you have multiple signals you want to send to multiple destinations. for example i have a power amp with two monitors and a stereo i can send my audio to; i also have a computer output, a digital output from my interfaces and a spare 1/8" TRS 'aux' cable all feeding into the central station. i can choose different sources and destinations for those signals.

i also have a tabletop mixer i use for elaborate effects sends from my interface and back into the interface.

these things don't matter as much if you aren't doing elaborate signal routing.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
So I'm thinking about getting a budget compressor or some sort of mic preamp. The preamp in my Saffire Pro 40 doesn't get loud enough for my SM57, so I was thinking about picking up a Bluebird Condenser Microphone and a rack mountable preamp to go with it. Think this is a good idea?

For a compressor I'm thinking of the Art Pro VLA II. I'm not sure if this will 'bottleneck' the sound I get or if it'll tarnish my Axe FX-II sound in any way if used for my guitar, so I was instead thinking of just doing the condenser + mic preamp and steer clear of any budget condensers for a while. If what I'm saying isn't ridiculous, is there a particular budget friendly mid-end-ish preamp that's generally spoken good of? (Thinking of the Art Pro MPA II for the mic pre)
Last edited by nignog at Feb 18, 2014,
Quote by nignog
So I'm thinking about getting a budget compressor or some sort of mic preamp. The preamp in my Saffire Pro 40 doesn't get loud enough for my SM57, so I was thinking about picking up a Bluebird Condenser Microphone and a rack mountable preamp to go with it. Think this is a good idea?

the Pro 40's preamps should easily be able to handle a SM57's gain needs. even the worst preamps i have worked with have provided enough gain for a standard dynamic mic, especially if it's a guitar cab you are mic'ing up. i would be more concerned about the mic or preamp being damaged.

the pro40's preamps should be comparable to any 'budget friendly' microphone preamp out there.

the avalon is also a [really nice] rackmountable preamp (well, it's a whole channel strip) so you shouldn't really need another one (unless you need stereo capabilities).

what are you using this microphone to do? is it mic'ing a cab? are you using it for vocals?

i'd say skip the compressor right now as well (the avalon has that too anyway). i only really use a compressor to keep the output from some device from clipping. guitar signals are generally pretty damn compressed to begin with (especially when mic'd from and amp or put through an amp simulator).
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Feb 18, 2014,
Oh, I forgot to mention the avalon rack that I had expected is not going to be available to me for quite some time so I apologize for the miscommunication. Currently my goal is to be educating myself on how to use at least one rack unit at any given time. So to give everyone a perspective; basically everything I had listed (axefx2/power conditioner/saffirepro40) I already know how to utilize quite well, so I thought I'd look for something to spend some of my money on so I can get a head start on my 'how to use' self education; hence why I am looking for 'something' to buy and add to my rack.

I don't exactly know where I want to go next, but I don't want to buy something that I'll learn on and want to replace in a matter of half a year. I'm looking to find out what it is exactly that I want to purchase, preferrably something that'll help my guitar recordings sound as absolutely perfect as possible (and if the Axe2 does everything I need it to do, I'd love to get some rack gear for recording acoustic guitars and get some background vocals recorded). I hope I explained myself well, english is not my first language. Thank you for your help.
Last edited by nignog at Feb 18, 2014,
You don't really need anything to educate yourself.
If you don't know about that kinda stuff you go on the internet and read about it.
To make your recordings better, you better practicing with production skills instead of buying new stuff, both because you already have good equipment and because if your production skills aren't on par with the gear you own you're wasting money in gear you don't use the full potential of.

If you really wanna buy some new stuff for your rack get a 3630/3632 and practice with compressors.
Or buy a pair of sE2200a mkII/C414 XLS depending on your budget, plus a pair of good mic stands to record the acoustic stuff.

Oh and if you don't already have a pair of nice monitor speakers, get one.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.