Page 1 of 2
Here is what I have so far...
Harley Benton BT70?(80€ Chinese Fender clone)
Ibanez GRG170DX
Line6 Spider IV 15
Line6 FBV USB Express

I was thinking of getting a multi-effects setup, I was leaning towards a Zoom G5, Digitech RP1000 or Line6 Pod HD500... I wanted to keep it ~less than 350€ or so...(unless something was really worth the extra €€&euro

I've been playing less than a year, but what interests me most right now is being able to mess around with some effects and as I'm not writing now, so playing "presets" is ok. I mostly play just metal, rock, and classical music.

I only use Linux also, which the Digitech products work best with as there is a Linux app. The
Zoom works as a standard USB audio out. There is a Line6 linux driver but the state it's in is unclear...

I know some people would suggest getting a real amp/cab first, but I live in an apartment and I cannot turn up the amp I have now more than 5% without it being too loud.

Let me know if you need any other info... thanks in advance.
personally I'd suggest getting an inexpensive mulit-fx to mess around with until you are ready to upgrade your gear. you would be better off saving for a better guitar and amp than spending real money on fx at this point.
Quote by monwobobbo
personally I'd suggest getting an inexpensive mulit-fx to mess around with until you are ready to upgrade your gear. you would be better off saving for a better guitar and amp than spending real money on fx at this point.

When you say cheap, do you mean Zoom G5? Or something like 150€ or so, like the Digitech 255? Or Zoom G3? Or a POD?
Quote by anenokoji
When you say cheap, do you mean Zoom G5? Or something like 150€ or so, like the Digitech 255? Or Zoom G3? Or a POD?

just a basic multi-fx unit or perhaps a pocket POD. which one is up to you. just saying that to try stuff out you don't need to spend a pile of cash. your amp may not work well with the unit so be aware of that. as mentioned your guitar and amp are the most important parts of the chain so upgrading them is more important. learning what fx do is a good thing but not at the expense of the other gear. just my opinion.
Quote by monwobobbo
just a basic multi-fx unit or perhaps a pocket POD. which one is up to you. just saying that to try stuff out you don't need to spend a pile of cash. your amp may not work well with the unit so be aware of that. as mentioned your guitar and amp are the most important parts of the chain so upgrading them is more important. learning what fx do is a good thing but not at the expense of the other gear. just my opinion.

My guitar was about 250€, will I notice a big difference if I bought a guitar at a price point of 400€? If I got a multi-effects pedal it would primarily be guitar -> effects -> headphones...
The best thing you could do is to keep saving & purchase a decent amp sometime in the future.

What you already have includes some effects that you could play with. The Zoom G5 & Line 6 POD you're considering are both excellent pedals, but they'd be wasted if you tried using them with your current amp.

If you want to buy something so you can hook up to your PC, then have a look at this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-UCG102-USB-Guitar-Link/dp/B000PAPO9W
There are unbranded versions available on ebay for less than £10, so I'd imagine there are similar deals to be had in your country as well. (For more advice about hooking up to your PC, read the stickies in the Recordings forum).
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
The best thing you could do is to keep saving & purchase a decent amp sometime in the future.

What you already have includes some effects that you could play with. The Zoom G5 & Line 6 POD you're considering are both excellent pedals, but they'd be wasted if you tried using them with your current amp.

If you want to buy something so you can hook up to your PC, then have a look at this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-UCG102-USB-Guitar-Link/dp/B000PAPO9W
There are unbranded versions available on ebay for less than £10, so I'd imagine there are similar deals to be had in your country as well. (For more advice about hooking up to your PC, read the stickies in the Recordings forum).

I would really love to get an amp/cab but as I said I live in an apartment and like I said, it's not realistic. My neighbors complained because I used a drill machine in my wall for less than 10 seconds.

Thanks for the link on the USB input. I've been also looking into USB inputs for Linux also.
Quote by anenokoji

I know some people would suggest getting a real amp/cab first, but I live in an apartment and I cannot turn up the amp I have now more than 5% without it being too loud.

This doesn't mean you can't get a new amp, better amps than yours also have volume control. I went from a Spider II 2x10 120 watt (way to loud for my needs but could play quietly) to a JCA2212c which is a 20 watt tube combo amp which sounds wayyyyy better even at whisper volumes than any spider.
Quote by jaymz9350
This doesn't mean you can't get a new amp, better amps than yours also have volume control. I went from a Spider II 2x10 120 watt (way to loud for my needs but could play quietly) to a JCA2212c which is a 20 watt tube combo amp which sounds wayyyyy better even at whisper volumes than any spider.

Ok, thanks.
Quote by jaymz9350

This.

No amount of effects will make your current amp sound good.

Your current amp will make good effects sound crap.

TS - I get that you just want to experiment with effects, but you can do that with the effects built into your amp. The Spider is known to be a poor quality amp that doesn't take pedals well, so even if you do buy a quality effect unit you won't get any real benefit from it until you've got a good amp to play it through.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
This.

No amount of effects will make your current amp sound good.

Your current amp will make good effects sound crap.

TS - I get that you just want to experiment with effects, but you can do that with the effects built into your amp. The Spider is known to be a poor quality amp that doesn't take pedals well, so even if you do buy a quality effect unit you won't get any real benefit from it until you've got a good amp to play it through.

Should I buy another combo? Or is it better to get separate cabs/heads?
That's really up to you and what you plan on doing. I like my combo but I'm pretty much a bedroom player and mine is pretty light, which can be the major downfall in combo's as they can get quite heavy. I really wanted a head/cab but I got too good of deal on this to pass it up lol. The major advantage to a head/cab is the need to only replace one or the other if upgrading or trying out different amps.
Quote by anenokoji
Should I buy another combo? Or is it better to get separate cabs/heads?

I have a combo and a separate cab

From what you're saying, there's no need for you to rush into anything. Keep saving your money until you have an idea what you want. Your current kit is perfectly adequate for a learner to practice on and experiment with. When you reach a stage where your style has developed and you know what sound you're looking for, then you should start asking what amp, guitar and effects would be best for you (probably in that order).
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
So, I stand corrected, thanks guys. I tried a 20w peavy tube amp and a 2x12 and it sounded good, but was playable at 1 on the volume.

So, I've done some searching on this and it seems like the amp to get is the Bugera 333xl... But they didn't have one for me to play at the place near my house.

Any thoughts about amps/cabs? Could I get ok sound out of a 4x12 at a low volume? Or is it better to stay with a 2x12?
Don't buy a Bugera, they are made with cheap parts and they will break down on you more often than any other amp I have seen.

Look at www.thomann.de for a Jet City JCA22h and either the Harley Benton G112 vintage or the G212 vintage cabs. in your budget
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Don't buy a Bugera, they are made with cheap parts and they will break down on you more often than any other amp I have seen.

Look at www.thomann.de for a Jet City JCA22h and either the Harley Benton G112 vintage or the G212 vintage cabs. in your budget

I've heard about jet city, they also seem to be pretty good for the money... but I'll save up some more gyros and spend 500-600€ or so.
Jet City amps are really nice and the price is unbeatable new. They are Budget Soldano amps. The JCA22h is a Budget (20 watt) Soldano Hot Rod Avenger+ which run $1900 new in the USA. See if you can find some good clips to listen to. The 22h is pretty much the same as the JCA50h/100/h but only 20 watts not 50 or 100. It is loud as hell
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Feb 7, 2014,
I have a 100 watt Marshall JCM2000 I use through a 4x12, but for practice I use a 20 watt Krank 1980 Jr and it is loud enough to gig with and then some.

You can use a 1 watt amp fine with a 4x12, as long as your amp does not have more watts than your cab can handle you are fine
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
All of your gear is pretty budget oriented. I would personally sell all of it on CL or kijiji and buy some stuff you won't out grow. I have a Spider IV 15watt for practicing but I have some proper amps when I wanna jam or play louder and that keeps me happy.

I'm not recommending this to be mean but mostly because it's easy to sell things nowadays and having fewer things that are of good quality is better than having a lot of lower end stuff.
Quote by evmac
All of your gear is pretty budget oriented. I would personally sell all of it on CL or kijiji and buy some stuff you won't out grow. I have a Spider IV 15watt for practicing but I have some proper amps when I wanna jam or play louder and that keeps me happy.

I'm not recommending this to be mean but mostly because it's easy to sell things nowadays and having fewer things that are of good quality is better than having a lot of lower end stuff.

I will probably sell the spider iv and foot pedal and get a 100~ watt jet city amp and cab. but I just bought the ibanez about a month ago so I'll probably keep it.
Yeah, it's up to you. I know a few people with lower end Ibbies and they like em just fine. I have the JCA 50 and it's a great amplifier. A massive step up from the Spider.
Honestly, figure out which effects you like off the Line 6, and buy individual pedals. Or just get the new amp. It's really a toss up. At ~1 year, you don't want to plunge too far into the deep end. You're not writing, you're playing at home, you're still learning. You don't need a 50 watt tube amp. Hell you may not even be able to fully use a 50 watt tube amp. Or even a 20 watter. Figure out what you like, and experiment. Everyone has been at this point.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
No, the jet City is way better than that. Just order from thomann and get a Harley Benton G212 vintage cab

If you want really cheap, the Jet City JCA22h €243 and the HB G112 vintage cab €98 will still sound way better than that amp you linked
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I would get the Jet City as well. I used to have one and still regret selling it.

HOWEVER. You're still new to playing. I would recommend putting that money away and just playing what you have for a bit longer. The Spider isn't great, but there's nothing wrong with having it as a cheap practice amp to let you experiment with different sounds. I would just figure out the direction you want to go with your playing.

That's just me personally. If you know what you like and the Jet City fits the bill, it's a good choice. Just don't rush into anything and figure out it's not right for your playing style.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by anenokoji
So, what if I was willing to spend 700-800€?

Get the Jet City JCA 50h,100h or 100hdm and the Harley Benton G412 vintage or the 2x12 and pocket the rest of the money or get a few pedals
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Get the Jet City JCA 50h,100h or 100hdm and the Harley Benton G412 vintage or the 2x12 and pocket the rest of the money or get a few pedals

awesome, thanks.

thanks to everybody else for their input.
Actually, I'd support classicrocker01's proposition, even if it's probably not something you wanna hear.
First off, why a head+cab? Why not take a lower-watt combo? It's true that watts=/=volume, but smaller watt ones are more manageable, plus I don't like the idea of TS having a 4x12 in an apartment where he can't even drill out a hole if it takes more than 10 seconds, without his neighbors knocking at the door.
Second, TS, can you try out the Jet City at all before buying? Sound clips on YT will NOT help, you really gotta play it, and despite the awesome price, JC might not be for you anyway. When I was buying my second amp a couple of years ago, I way eyeing a Blackstar range, on paper it was awesome for what I wanted out of it. When I dropped by the store to try em out... boy was I wrong.
And third, even if you shelled out 700-800€ on an amp, what about your guitar? I understand you just got your grg 170, but it's still not a great quality guitar, with very cheap electronics, that's in my opinion not worth upgrading. It won't sound great, even through a tube amp. Trust me, as time goes by, you're gonna want to get a better one.

You should think about all these things before forking out the money, just take it slow, enjoy and practice playing, at least until you get more of an idea what's right for you in terms of gear. Take it slow, money can go away easily, but getting it back is a real b%&$.
Quote by Pandorum

You should think about all these things before forking out the money, just take it slow, enjoy and practice playing, at least until you get more of an idea what's right for you in terms of gear. Take it slow, money can go away easily, but getting it back is a real b%&$.

How much do I need to spend on a guitar to get a decent one? The guy at the shop mentioned 700-800€ was a good spot where I would notice some good differences...
Quote by anenokoji
How much do I need to spend on a guitar to get a decent one? The guy at the shop mentioned 700-800€ was a good spot where I would notice some good differences...

Depends on the guitar
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by anenokoji

That's a whole other topic. But yea, it depends on the guitar. Even at the 400-500€ mark, you'll notice some glaring differences in quality, Ibanez GIO series are the very bottom in the price range, for those that are just starting out.
Sorry to bump this old thread, but what do you guys think of attenuators? I played the 20 watt 22h jet city and a 4x12 cab and it gets really damn loud! It sounded pretty good though.

Do you think using an attenuator in an apartment would give me a better sound?

the guy at thomann said it would muffle the sound, but I don't know how it would compare to playing quietly directly from the amp.
Quote by anenokoji
Sorry to bump this old thread, but what do you guys think of attenuators? I played the 20 watt 22h jet city and a 4x12 cab and it gets really damn loud! It sounded pretty good though.

Do you think using an attenuator in an apartment would give me a better sound?

the guy at thomann said it would muffle the sound, but I don't know how it would compare to playing quietly directly from the amp.

attenuators are to let you overdrive the power section at lower volumes. This i8s good for NON-Master volume amps. The Jet City has a master volume so you will not get any benefits from the attenuator be cause the JCA gets all of its distortion from the pre amp.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
attenuators are to let you overdrive the power section at lower volumes. This i8s good for NON-Master volume amps. The Jet City has a master volume so you will not get any benefits from the attenuator be cause the JCA gets all of its distortion from the pre amp.

http://www.thomann.de/thumb/bdbmagic/pics/bdb/267059/4392834_800.jpg

this has 2 overdrive knobs, I was actually confused for a second as when i tried it there was no volume knob either.
The 2 knobs on the right are to control the preamp gain (one for the crunch channel and one for the lead channel). The 2 knobs on the right under mater volume will control the actual volume of the amp on those channels
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
You often see the JCA5212 going cheap online. Check the special deals on musician's friend, thomann, etc. That's not a typical JCA high gain amp. It's the one based on the Soldano Lucky 13.

Nobody seems to be grasping the Linux head angle here, it would seem. They probably wouldn't know a penguin from a salamander. I sympathize.
The RP1000 is a decent FX unit and if there are linux drivers then I'd say, yeah man, go for it, that would be cool as ****. There are better processors but they're not that much better that the Linux factor wouldn't be a tempting deciding factor.

But get a decent amp at some point regardless though. That JCA I mentioned coupled with an RP1000 would give you a sensational little rig. Sell all the other shit. Just guitars, JCA5212 and RP1000 and you're pretty much setup for anything. Give the spider a burial at sea.

Edit: that'll teach me for not looking at dates or really reading the last page.
The little Jet Cities are good too. The 5212 is just a better amp.
Did you end up buying anything?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Aug 11, 2014,
Quote by Cathbard
You often see the JCA5212 going cheap online. Check the special deals on musician's friend, thomann, etc. That's not a typical JCA high gain amp. It's the one based on the Soldano Lucky 13.

Nobody seems to be grasping the Linux head angle here, it would seem. They probably wouldn't know a penguin from a salamander. I sympathize.
The RP1000 is a decent FX unit and if there are linux drivers then I'd say, yeah man, go for it, that would be cool as ****. There are better processors but they're not that much better that the Linux factor wouldn't be a tempting deciding factor.

But get a decent amp at some point regardless though. That JCA I mentioned coupled with an RP1000 would give you a sensational little rig. Sell all the other shit. Just guitars, JCA5212 and RP1000 and you're pretty much setup for anything. Give the spider a burial at sea.

Edit: that'll teach me for not looking at dates or really reading the last page.
The little Jet Cities are good too. The 5212 is just a better amp.
Did you end up buying anything?

There are also linux drivers for the line6 pod500(not complete support), but I didn't try any of those yet. I didn't end up buying anything yet. I'm as usual being really indecisive. I have plenty of money to spend now, but.... am having a hard time making my mind. I have ~1000€ to spend now, I could actually get a pod500x, a 2x12 and jca22h for less than 1000€
Quote by Robbgnarly

I thought the idea with attenuators was to let the amp tubes play hotter(better sound) at a lower volume?
Page 1 of 2