So a few months ago I decided that I needed thicker picks because I figured they'd be better for fast and abrasive genres like thrash and heavy metal. So I went and bought a pack of Iron Maiden branded picks, mainly because they were pretty and because the place I bought them didn't have many thick picks.
After an hour or two of playing my first pick really wore off, one of them even had a little "hook" at the end!
Is it normal for picks to wear out and as fast and as bad as mine did? I attached a picture for you guys to see. I can't complain about the printing, that didn't wear off, but I think the material they're made of may be a little too soft...

P.S.: What brand picks would you recommend for heavier genres? Also, what thickness?
(Invalid img)
try Dunlop Tortex pickst or you may like the Dunlop Ultex picks

if your in the USA www.stringsandbeyond.com is an excellent store and great CS. I order all my pics there
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I use some Dunlop 2mm picks and I use them for heavy picking, they don't wear out for months.
Quote by ChemicalFire
You get my first ever lolstack

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.
Yeah, I use the dunlop tortex. But they'll still wear out if you have a heavy picking hand, which it sounds like you do.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio w/ P90s
Epiphone Wilshire Pro Reissue w/ Pearly Gates Pickups
JCA2212c
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
TC Electronic Polyphonic Tuner
Earthquaker Devices The Hoof Fuzz
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb
its all preference, obviously the guys in iron maiden like the standard style picks.

i would say a "majority" of shred players prefer smaller, pointier, harder, thicker picks such as a dunlop jazz 3. i like those, but i gravitate towards the DAVA rubber grip assist picks, the small ones (jazz 3 sized). no matter what i do, i keep going back.

i like a smaller stiff pick. it makes you rely on your fingers for attacked and dynamics because it doesnt give as much. after a while, you realize that you get used to it and you dont need a floppy pick.

i really think the smaller pick makes you more accurate. i once stopped and looked while i was playing, and i realized i only let about 1 mm show out of my fingers to actually touch the strings. barely anything. a tiny tiny point its all i am picking with.

im sure thats a personal thing, but it made me realize i am most comforatable literally having almost no pick at all.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
I like the dunlop pitch black picks. Do they still make them? I haven't had to buy in a while. I also bought a tin of the James Hetfield signature black fangs (I needed another 5 bucks for my whole order to ship free) I ended up liking them, too. They have a cool matte finish that gives me better grip, but also a nice release on the strings.

Also, make sure you're not gripping the pick too tightly, it should move a bit when playing. Not flopping around, mind you. There should be a little up and down action when strumming/picking.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Last edited by ryanbwags at Feb 4, 2014,
Dunlop ultex sharp 0.73mm one of the best picks i've tried. Wears out very slowly and doesn't bend easily even for a .73mm thickness.
Quote by ryanbwags
I also bought a tin of the James Hetfield signature black fangs (I needed another 5 bucks for my whole order to ship free) I ended up liking them, too. They have a cool matte finish that gives me better grip, but also a nice release on the strings.

The Blackfangs are Dunlop Ultex Sharps with fancy paintjob. (and slightly more matte surface as result) Ultex Sharps are my favourite picks. Comes in variety of different thickness, doesnt slip too badly, wear resistant and the edge is just right. Sharp enough to give good attack but doesnt feel like it gets stuck/drags on strings like Dunlop Tortex Sharps.

TS, if the picks you bought are the typical nylon/plastic picks they wear out fast. Tortex is toughter and Ultex even more. So far the toughtest picks I have used have been Jazz III XL Black "Stiffo" ones. Seriously, they last forever. You are more likely to lose them (which is easy thanks to the black color) before wearing them out. Too bad they are slippery in my hands, but Ultex Sharp is a happy medium. Good enough in every regard.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
jazz III for life

i'm being serious
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by MaaZeus
The Blackfangs are Dunlop Ultex Sharps with fancy paintjob. (and slightly more matte surface as result) Ultex Sharps are my favourite picks. Comes in variety of different thickness, doesnt slip too badly, wear resistant and the edge is just right. Sharp enough to give good attack but doesnt feel like it gets stuck/drags on strings like Dunlop Tortex Sharps.

Cool, I know what to buy when I need more.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
I bought one Epic Grip last year. I’ve been using it almost exclusively for guitar since October with little noticeable wear. Titanium kicks ass.
Stone picks, carbon fiber, metal...that's what I prefer.

http://www.picksandstones.com/
http://www.dugainpicks.com/
http://www.stonepicks.com/

I prefer the stone over most others- the hardness leads to durability, the polish lets them glide over strings like glass.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Feb 4, 2014,
Quote by Reages
Dunlop ultex sharp 0.73mm one of the best picks i've tried. Wears out very slowly and doesn't bend easily even for a .73mm thickness.

I picked up a pack of those last week and really like them.
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
tortex jazz III for life

i'm being serious

Fixed and agreed
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com