So, I've had my eye on the new prs se custom 24 for a little while now and I'm a couple days away from buying it, however I was looking at my local craigslist last night and found a 2001 gibson sg standard for the same price as the prs.

Now, I've owned sg faded models before in both the sg and Les paul and thought that the sg was one of the best guitars I'd ever played, but I've never owned a standard in either. I had a 76 les paul custom for a while, but have no experience with sg's other than the faded series. As far as the prs I really have no experience with those although I played one in a store one time and liked it. I've always been a gibson guy but figured the prs would be something different and in my opinion they are gorgeous guitars.

Here's my questions if anyone is willing to help out. 1 what would the differences be in sound between the 2, darker lighter, etc? 2. As far as material quality and craftsmanship which would be better, I know some of the faded guitars could hit or miss, in fact the lp that I had was a but rough, but with having no experience with standard series I'm not sure if the quality is better or really what to expect. 3. My band plays a heavier rock style, not quite metal but close, which guitar do you guys feel would lend itself better to that type of music? Final question, I've heard that years or year ranges for gibson could be either good or bad, for the 2001 year were they making good guitars that year?

Thanks for any help or opinions, btw my budget is $650 if anyone wants to make suggestions for other brands or models.
1. Try the guitars yourself and see what you think of them. Generally speaking, Custom 24's are somewhat reminiscent of LP's tonally, but they're a fair bit brighter. SG's are generally a bit like LP's as well, but they have a more pronounced upper midrange.

2. I'd prefer the SG, but it depends on what particular guitar you're considering to buy. Its a bit inaccurate to make generalizations when individual guitars can have a lot variance between each other, even if they're the same model. It's generally agreed that the differences between Gibson Faded SG's and Standard SG's are mostly aesthetic.

3. It depends on what kind of 'hard rock' tone you're going for. If you want a guitar that's a little bit snappier sounding, the SE will achieve that sort of sound a bit more easily than the SG and vice versa. But if you don't have a good amp, neither guitar is really going to help you.

4. Again, its dumb to make sweeping generalizations about guitars regardless of what era they came from. Judge a guitar on an individual to individual basis. Take what other people say about a particular model with a generous pinch of salt.

But I do think the two guitars you're considering are really good choices in that price range.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Feb 4, 2014,
I can't answer all of your questions but I can say that personally I love the PRS and I'm not too fond of Gibson SGs but I feel that an SG would suit your style of music better, hope this helps
Whatever you like the feel of better. I had a few high dollar prs guitars but didn't like the sounds I was getting from them. I would think a PRS S2 Mira would be something you would compare to a SG Standard. Wouldn't take a PRS SE over any of my Gibbys anyday. Wouldn't take an SE over a Mira either.

Black Sabbath, Cream, The Doors, ACDC, Jerry Garcia, Derek Trucks, System of a Down, The Who, The Cars, Radiohead.

Thats a wide range of styles right there of SG users.

Saying a guitar is "versatile" is a bit ridiculous. If the PLAYER is versatile he can make do with just about anything.
Last edited by cheesefries at Feb 4, 2014,
Yeah dude right on. I own a PRS mira and it is seriously one of the best guitars ever! The whole gibson thing is all personal preference man.

The new S2 prs's are sick tho man I would defiantly get one of those if they are in your price range.
Quote by Markshredder
Yeah dude right on. I own a PRS mira and it is seriously one of the best guitars ever! The whole gibson thing is all personal preference man.

The new S2 prs's are sick tho man I would defiantly get one of those if they are in your price range.

After seeing the new S2 Singlecut... man. TAKE MY MONEY! lol
The whole s2 line is freaking awesome.

Last edited by cheesefries at Feb 4, 2014,
Wish I could get an s2. If that were the case I probably wouldn't be asking this question, but the USA prs guitars are out of my reach. Even used ones.
I'm not a fan of the S2 guitars at all. They're not what they're cracked up to be.

They may be made in the USA, but they still use the same parts and hardware as the PRS SE guitars, from what I've heard from owners of S2's. So they're really not as hunky dory as they look.

I also don't like the bevelled tops they have either, it doesn't look nearly as nice as the full archtops the real USA's have.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Well, figured I'd update you guys, I'm going with the prs. I played it today and it just worked, the feel, the neck, all of it was perfect. I've never played a gibson that felt that great, no saying anything bad about gibson but this guitar just works better for me, thanks again for all of your input.
Quote by Chiliphil1
Well, figured I'd update you guys, I'm going with the prs. I played it today and it just worked, the feel, the neck, all of it was perfect. I've never played a gibson that felt that great, no saying anything bad about gibson but this guitar just works better for me

That's what it's all about. I don't think any reasonable person would think you're saying anything bad about Gibson. You picked the one that worked best for you and that's the important part.

Post some pictures!
Wow a person who decided not to buy a Gibson and didn't attempt to bash their entire line of guitars just because you played a couple you didn't get on with.

You're a good guy.
Quote by TheSennaj
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Wow a person who decided not to buy a Gibson and didn't attempt to bash their entire line of guitars just because you played a couple you didn't get on with.

You're a good guy.

Thanks! I love gibson, and I'll probably always be a gibson guy but the ones I'm my price range just didn't do it for me, now if I had 4k for a custom....
Quote by Roc8995
That's what it's all about. I don't think any reasonable person would think you're saying anything bad about Gibson. You picked the one that worked best for you and that's the important part.

Post some pictures!

Pics will be coming soon.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I'm not a fan of the S2 guitars at all. They're not what they're cracked up to be.

They may be made in the USA, but they still use the same parts and hardware as the PRS SE guitars, from what I've heard from owners of S2's. So they're really not as hunky dory as they look.

I also don't like the bevelled tops they have either, it doesn't look nearly as nice as the full archtops the real USA's have.

I have 3 S2's in my shop. The tops are real, but just the meh cuts. They play really, really, really well. Almost on par with the CE22's I've got (almost). I'd say they're comparable to the NF3 they're right next to. I do think they're a bit overpriced, though. $899.99 across the whole line would have been much better.

Don't just toss them aside on the specs, though. They actually do play as good as the price tag would lead you think.

All that said, it'd still be worth saving a bit of extra cash for a CE22 unless you're really hard up for a PRS with Bigsby.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Feb 7, 2014,
^^^Congratulations! That's a nice looking guitar there.
Moving on.....