So I've got a lot of spare space, and since I'm playing in bands and taking my music a lot more seriously now, I've decided to put together a studio at home. I only know the very basic things on setting up a studio, so I need help with things such as: What gear do I need, How to acoustically treat the room, how to setup all of the gear, and other tips on how to get a good-sounding studio together. So at the moment I have my guitars, effects and amps, as well as a few other accessories and some basic software. What I want to do is have my amps mic'd and sent into mixers/PA systems and out to my computer to record. I don't have a lot of cash so I'm looking for good but affordable equipment. If you need any other info just ask. Thanks in advance
Have a look at the recording forum (or recording.org), there you'll get better help.
In the recording forum you'll find an "interfaces sticky".
Read it.

Anyway, to put it simple,

1. you need different gear depending on what you wanna do.
So, what you wanna do?
Record guitar alone, record vocals alone, record a guitar amp or DI the guitar and use an amp simulator on your computer, record a full band at once...

2. you'll need to tread the room if you wanna record something from some distance.
If you were to record just a guitar amp with an SM57 you won't really need to do that.
If you were to record a harp you would probably wanna do that.
Bass traps help, and the general rule is that you don't want reflections, so fill your room with fluffy big stuff all over the place (or only on the walls and in the corners if you lack the space :P)

3. the gear setup will widely vary, again depending on what you wanna do.
See, we need to know what you wanna do to help you doing it properly.

4. my best tip is practice.
Practice makes perfect.
And read a lot of tutorials on forums and recording websites (recording.org, soundonsound, audiotutsplus, therecordingrevolution, theproaudiofiles...)

Read the interfaces sticky in the recording section and then if you still got questions post there including the answers at my questions.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Moved to the correct forum - Please read the stickies, they contain the answers to many of your questions
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
^ depends.
$2000 is enough it ya ask me, though it will not be enough to record a full band with good quality and mix it decently.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Let's also ask this. Why?

If you want to take your music seriously as a player, as a songwriter, as a band, etc, then focus on those things. Leave the recording to someone else.

If you want to take your music seriously as a recording nerd, then do so.

But if your primary motivation is to set up a studio so you can record yourself to make your own albums, etc., it's a really big hill to climb.

Let me compare it to this. Let's say you want piano tracks on your album. You could buy a piano, and learn to play the piano yourself. In six months, you'll be able to play some rudimentary things well enough, but the intermediate stuff will be way beyond you for a while yet. If you want an intermediate-level piano player, keep practicing another couple of years.

So, after two and a half years, many hours of practice, and the price of a piano, you'll have intermediate-level piano tracks on your album.

Now that's not so bad if you have a genuine interest in, and the time and money to devote to learning and playing the piano. But geez... if you just want a piano part... hire someone and get it done in an afternoon.

See the comparison?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.