Pedals in my country are WAYYY overpriced. A good delay pedal can go up to 300$ - as much as a mediocre guitar!

So i thought about buying pedals from Ebay. Is it a good idea, even if i buy used ones? I mean i saw some really expensive pedal on Ebay being bid on for 40 bucks. Its from a top seller with 100% rating. Is it legit?

Also, how bad can pedals get ruined from wear? If the pedal comes and it has a problem - how much of a problem will it be to fix it?

Help will be greatly appreciated.
Yea it's legit. If you check the seller and it has good ratings you probably won't get any trouble + with paypal, you're covered. I would not buy used though.

If it comes with a problem, you'll probably have to pay shipping back (it depends of each seller, but as a general rule) to get a refund.

Just be carefull with import duties and taxes and that kind of stuff. You don't wan't to pay 60% of the full price, just to get it inside your country.

What kind of pedal are you looking for and where you from? Maybe there's some other options to consider as well. You know Thomann? (EU)
90% of my gear is second hand and from ebay, never had any problems

Epiphone Wilshire
Orange Rocker 30
Harley Benton 212 (w/Greenbacks)
Ernie Ball Vp jr
Swollen Pickle fuzz
Maxon OD808
Danelectro Vibe
Line 6 Tap Tremolo
Line 6 Verbzilla
EH Memory Man Hazarai
Boss RC20XL

Last.fm
Check out my band haze
Good delay pedals are over $300 everywhere.
Mediocre guitars are $300 everywhere.
Stuff is overpriced everywhere.

The pedals you see on ebay at $40 may either be
1. behringer's (meaning modest quality pedals)
2. auctions (meaning the price could highly raise)

Generally, if you already know what you want it's a good idea to find the lowest prices you can find, and ebay along with craigslist and your local music instruments shop are good places where to look.
Mind stuff don't sound like "that video on youtube".
You either listen to a lot of videos and get an idea of how stuff sounds more or less, or you try them in person with your gear.

Good quality pedals are good quality, they hardly break.
When they do, it may be hard to fix them or not depending on 2 things mainly:
1. do they have SMD components? 'cause if that's the case you're ****ed.
2. do you know what you broke? 'cause it's hard to find out why pedals don't emit sound if you're not experienced with electronics in general.

However pedals usually come in decent cases and won't be ruined from shipping.
I bought 3 and they were all perfect, and I have never really heard of guitar pedals damaged in shipping.

Anyway, it'd be helpful to know what kinda pedals are you wanting to buy exactly so we can advise you with someplace cheap where to get them, or with some cheaper good alternatives.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by blything09
90% of my gear is second hand and from ebay, never had any problems

Similar for me - off the top of my head, I think everything except one of my guitars was purchased through ebay.

I've been using ebay as long as I've been using UG and I've never had any problems with buying stuff on there. In all that time, I've only ever had to return a couple of things, and it was always easily managed and I got a full refund.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I bought an entire guitar off ebay! 2 actually, and one of them is now my main guitar. The other broke in a upsetting and terrifying crowd related accident, so until thats all fixed its my practice at home guitar haha. Just be careful where you look, watch the sellers, and read EVERYTHING in the description from known issues to return policies!
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
There's nothing inherently wrong with used gear! Most of my pedals are used pedals from Guitar Center. Ebay always has you covered on if something isn't working.

Beyond eBay, if Craigslist is available in your area, give that a look! There are some absolute steals on there. Found a Tube Screamer for $50 in my area, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.
Yes.

Why wouldn't you want to save money on gear? I don't understand some people who refuse to buy used equipment. I was always taught never to be snobby of cheap/expensive guitar equipment and the people who use them- ALL my best stuff came from EBay.

Zoom G5 for 140
EVH CryBaby for 75
ToneZone for 45
------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Two Piece band's Facebook https://www.facebook.com/TerrorpinBand

I just like to imagine that my neighbors enjoy their free, nightly concerts.
Just keep in mind, you want to try and look for the listings that say "Buy It Now". The auctions suck because people bid them up at the last minute and it turns into a pissing contest because they don't want to lose. There are idiots who will pay $65 for a pedal that's $70 new. I have lost many auctions because of this, and it just gets you frustrated.
Go for it! Four out of the five pedals on my board right now I've bought from eBay. I got a Keeley Compressor for $140 (new $230) and a DD20 for for $170 (new $240). They obviously looked used, but I cleaned them up and now you can't even tell the difference.
Definitely buy used if you don't mind cosmetic issues. Pedals can generally be purchased for around 50% of the list price if you are patient enough.

And I don't know what their international shipping policy is, but I highly recommend checking out Guitar Center's used gear. Not only can the prices be great, but the customer service has been superb in my experience. For example, a used Boss TU-3 was being sold a few weeks ago for $35. I placed my order for it and then received a call a few days later that there was a glitch and the pedal was already sold. You know what Guitar Center did though? They honored my $35 charge and sent me a brand new unopened TU-3.
Where do you live?

I live and the US, and $300 for a delay pedal isn't necessarily outlandish or overpriced.

Really depends on what exactly we're talking about. The more specific you are, the more we can understand and help. Your post was very vague.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Wow thanks for all the replies!

I live in Israel, and this country has CRAZY tax and duties on practically everything. I want to buy the Boss Digital Delay DD-7, and would also like to get a fuzz.
Pedals are overpriced also in my country

i bought 4 Pedals from ebay (3 new 1 used)

they work fine

just check the seller ratings and read the feedbacks before buying

and the only one i love and never gonna sell is the used one
Last edited by nirvana_n_roses at Feb 5, 2014,
Quote by 757ian123
Just keep in mind, you want to try and look for the listings that say "Buy It Now". The auctions suck because people bid them up at the last minute and it turns into a pissing contest because they don't want to lose. There are idiots who will pay $65 for a pedal that's $70 new. I have lost many auctions because of this, and it just gets you frustrated.

Gotta disagree with this - OK, that happens sometimes where you get the pissing contest for no apparent reason, but 90% of winning bids happen in the last few minutes so when you're getting outbid consistently it just means you just aren't bidding enough.

When shopping on ebay, it's always worth checking the completed listings of similar items to know the sort of price they go for. If it's almost as much as the new price, then you might as well go new.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Just to be clear, I'm not advising against buying used. I just prefer not to buy used on ebay, because there's a fee if you ever need to return something shipped (in most cases).

I buy used all the time, but on CL or local dealers, where I can go back myself
Quote by GaryBillington
Gotta disagree with this - OK, that happens sometimes where you get the pissing contest for no apparent reason, but 90% of winning bids happen in the last few minutes so when you're getting outbid consistently it just means you just aren't bidding enough.

When shopping on ebay, it's always worth checking the completed listings of similar items to know the sort of price they go for. If it's almost as much as the new price, then you might as well go new.

I get what you're saying, but in my experience I have never got a good deal on an item in an auction. There is just too wide of an audience that looks on eBay, so sellers get top dollar for everything. The only great deals I've gotten have been the Buy It Now's when I catch them right away before someone else can buy it.
^ Had lots like that too

When I'm shopping generally for guitar stuff without anything specific in mind, I just set up searches showing all the newest listings & wait to catch an idiot listing something at a ridiculously low price! Patience almost always pays off.

With auctions though, it depends what you consider to be a bargain. Most of the time things always sell at a similar price, so if that's more than you're willing to pay you're never likely to win one. If you're just looking to get something used because you don't want to pay the full price for a new one, then the auctions are fine.
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud