Could anyone recommend me some decent and relatively cheap set of bass strings, for a 5 string bass? I've been using Ernie Ball and Elixir strings for all my life, but currently they are going for 100, 120 dollars here in Brazil. I usually try to see if any of my friends are going abroad and ask them to buy it for me, but I can't seem to find anyone at the moment. So any suggestions of cheaper bass strings? I play mostly heavy rock, but also some blues and classic rock.
Quote by Xiaoxi
The Byzantine scale was useful until the Ottoman scale came around and totally annihilated it.
i cant be sure of prices where you are, but for me in the uk d'addario string are my favourite when it comes to price/sound/feel/durability
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Just checked the price down here, found some d'addario for 35 dollars... I might have found my new strings!
Quote by Xiaoxi
The Byzantine scale was useful until the Ottoman scale came around and totally annihilated it.
Couldn't you just order your normal strings from somewhere abroad? Or is that a problem with import duties? I order my DR strings from the 'Murica and even after shipping they're 20eur cheaper than here.
Quote by Karl Marx
Reason has always existed, but not always in a reasonable form.
Quote by Spanner93
Couldn't you just order your normal strings from somewhere abroad? Or is that a problem with import duties? I order my DR strings from the 'Murica and even after shipping they're 20eur cheaper than here.

Legally, no. I'd have to pay about 70, 75 dollars in taxes for the Elixir, DR or Ernie Ball strings. There is a website that sells them without paying the taxes, but then you have to risk it being confiscated and fined by customs. In theory, personal purchases below 100 dollars should be exempt from fines and confiscation at customs, but after seeing my father-in-law be fined in 200 dollars for two 15-dollar shirts he bought, I'm kinda afraid.
Quote by Xiaoxi
I just spent about $17 bucks here in the States on some Ernie Ball Super Slinkys. I just looked up the exchange rate, so if you could get the strings at the same price I paid, it'd be about $41 Brazilian dollars. Would you get in trouble or hafta pay customs fees or something if I mailed you a little care package with strings and you sent me money via PayPal or something? It bums me out that you're getting ripped off, musicians have it tough enough as it is, so I'd help you out if I could.
Quote by HeartSick
I just spent about $17 bucks here in the States on some Ernie Ball Super Slinkys. I just looked up the exchange rate, so if you could get the strings at the same price I paid, it'd be about $41 Brazilian dollars. Would you get in trouble or hafta pay customs fees or something if I mailed you a little care package with strings and you sent me money via PayPal or something? It bums me out that you're getting ripped off, musicians have it tough enough as it is, so I'd help you out if I could.

I've heard of this being done, if you wrap the strings up and add a birthday card or something you stand a good chance of getting through. Gifts are exempt from customs generally speaking.
Quote by Karl Marx
Reason has always existed, but not always in a reasonable form.
Quote by HeartSick

That might be a workable idea. If you send it as a gift card or something, it should get through the customs without problems. May I send you a private message or add you on skype or something?
Quote by Xiaoxi