I am looking to put some new pickups in my Epiphone Firebird. A lot of people are telling me to check out some P90s. The other day I played a guitar with P90s in it. I liked the sound. Anyways, I play Grunge/Alternative music. I like to play more of the darker form of it...Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam. My local shop has Kent Armstrong P90s for $40....Will this help me with the heavier sound? The Epiphone has stock humbuckers in it....Any suggestions? Money is a bit tight. Thank you.
Unless you want to route the guitar body, you'll need P-94s rather than P-90s, which is a humbucker-sized soapbar. The thing with soapbars is that they're really big single coils. If you're looking for a darker, heavier sound, might not be your cup o' tea.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Feb 4, 2014,
You'll have to make sure you get humbucker sized P90s or they won't fit. On a budget, I'd say Guitar Fetish (GFS) are also worth a look but I don't have much experience with either.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Get ready for added hum especially if you using an amp with a high gain input. P90's are single coil and tend to hum like a Strat.
I think it's definitely doable with p90 humbuckers. Just realize that a lot of that ton is coming from amp and effects. It def sounds like a tube amp with gain, compression, and possibly an equalizer.
Thanks, hansome. Yeah, I had the discussion with the guy at the music shop. We really came to the conclusion that it would be best to leave the stock pickups in it and just work around the tone. I currently have a solid state Marshall HDFX, an Ibanez Stompbox distortion, and the Firebird..I don't have the funds for a tube amp, but I can look into different effects.
Quote by dustin.schumach
Yes, these are humbucker sized.

The ToneZone is perfect for Grunge/Alternative. It's a very versatile mid-output humbucker. Make sure the poles on the pickup have the right spacing for your strings... Most Dimarzio pickups are f-spaced, which may or may not be appropriate for your Firebird.
Guitars:
ESP Eclipse II w/ SD Black Winters
Ibanez S540 w/ DiMarzios
Ibanez RG370DX w/ EMG 81/60
Ibanez RG7321 w/ DiMarzios
Pedals:
Fulltone FB-3
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Amps:
Peavey 6505+
Thanks, gorg. For now, I will be playing with my tone on the amp, pedals, etc....I will look into the pickup thing after I am okay with the tone.
I realize that it is more expensive than the KAs you were looking at, but the RailHammer Gnarly 90 should be very good for getting the tone you desire:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Railhammer-Gnarly-90-Pickup-J04105-i3536456.gc
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I personally don't like any single coils and I play really every genre. The best pickup you can probably ever put in your guitar is the Seymour Duncan "Antiquity".
Personally, I wouldn't even bother with a pickup change if you're playing through a Marshall HDFX. I wouldn't go out and get new effects either, unless you specifically need something like a delay, but just save up for a good amplifier. It will benefit you in the long run.
Cheap amp suggestions? The HDFX is not as bad as people think it is. You really just have to dial it in.
Check out Seymour Duncans P-rails. I dig them. I put them in a guitar I bring everywhere(stays in the car most of the time) that needs to cover a wide range of tones. The p-90 part sounds really good for dropped tunings. The humbucker is hot enough for heavy ass sht too. Just tried learning stuff off of Supercolider with this guitar last night.....pretty close to Brodricks tone

The single coil section is lacking but otherwise a good pickup. Think those
would look badass in a Firebird.
What the hell!!!
Last edited by danvwman at Feb 4, 2014,
Quote by dustin.schumach
Cheap amp suggestions? The HDFX is not as bad as people think it is. You really just have to dial it in.

Can't really suggest without a budget. I'm sure the HDFX is fine for bedroom playing and I have nothing against it. However, I do think that upgrading pickups that will be played into an HDFX is useless. To put it this way: your Firebird will sound better with the stock pickups through a cheap-ish tube amp (like a Valveking or Jet City) than it will with upgraded pickups through your Marshall.

That said, don't fix yourself upon the studio sound you hear from Alice in Chains, for instance. It's heavily processed and no amplifier will ever sound like that live.
Quote by I K0nijn I
Can't really suggest without a budget. I'm sure the HDFX is fine for bedroom playing and I have nothing against it. However, I do think that upgrading pickups that will be played into an HDFX is useless. To put it this way: your Firebird will sound better with the stock pickups through a cheap-ish tube amp (like a Valveking or Jet City) than it will with upgraded pickups through your Marshall.

That said, don't fix yourself upon the studio sound you hear from Alice in Chains, for instance. It's heavily processed and no amplifier will ever sound like that live.

Thanks for the suggestion. I play out with the band frequently. I would say the budget would be below $500....For sure...If I left the pickups stock.
Well another suggestion, since you have 500, is start shopping for a head (amp). I bought my dual rectifier for 650 (used at guitar center) and my marshall cab for 250 (also on sale at guitar center). I know its really pricey but the amount of tone you get without any effects on a half stack is amazing.

The first time I plugged into it, it was jaw dropping. And it feels like that every time I go out to my freezing garage and plug in. I am always surprised by how good it sounds if I don't play it consistently.

It's very loud is the only problem, but when playing with a drummer, that's exactly what you need.
^ You got a Dual Recto and Marshall Cab for $900? That's insane! I wish I could happen across deals like that :P

I'm sure there are plenty of amps that would sound good for your style in your budget, but as I'm a metal guy I don't know of any :/ I've heard nothing but good things about Jet City's amps.
Guitars:
ESP Eclipse II w/ SD Black Winters
Ibanez S540 w/ DiMarzios
Ibanez RG370DX w/ EMG 81/60
Ibanez RG7321 w/ DiMarzios
Pedals:
Fulltone FB-3
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Amps:
Peavey 6505+
Quote by hansome21
Well another suggestion, since you have 500, is start shopping for a head (amp). I bought my dual rectifier for 650 (used at guitar center) and my marshall cab for 250 (also on sale at guitar center). I know its really pricey but the amount of tone you get without any effects on a half stack is amazing.

The first time I plugged into it, it was jaw dropping. And it feels like that every time I go out to my freezing garage and plug in. I am always surprised by how good it sounds if I don't play it consistently.

It's very loud is the only problem, but when playing with a drummer, that's exactly what you need.

What is the model of the Marshall cab? I picked up my Marshall HDFX half-stack for $250....After trading in a VOX 100w Valvetronix.
Likely if you are using your current half stack and just looking to replace the head you will not be doing the new head justice with that cab, assuming it is the cab that went with the Marshall head. You will need to upgrade the speakers for that.

I would recommend, if you are looking into amp heads, the Jet City 50/100w head. They are great. I know Cantrell used to play a Soldano SLO. The Jet City heads are amazing and can be had for well below $500.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13