Hello,
I got lame and old guitar amp and no money for new
Yesterday I had an idea to plug my guitar to my computer and I got question, is there any program that if I plug guitar to Line-in jack then this program will be playing real-time sound from my guitar on my speakers with distortion. Really really need distortion. And if there is any, how to use it?
Yeah, but it won't sound great with ordinary computer speakers. You'd need either a set of good headphones or a pair of studio monitor speakers to reproduce a good tone. What line-in jack are you referring to, though? Is it on your soundcard or where?

As for programs, someone more experienced with that area can probably assist you.
Hi,

Quick answer: download Cocko's Reaper (for playback) and LePou plug-ins (for amp modelling - distortion etc):

Reaper - http://www.reaper.fm
LePou - http://lepouplugins.blogspot.co.uk

Long answer:

First of all, don't expect good quality if you are plugging in through line-in. There will probably be some crackling and unclear sound, as well as latency (where you hear yourself play before the sound actually comes out of the speakers). If this doesn't bother you then by all means go ahead, but latency is really annoying. Either way, it's worth a go, plus i don't know what sound card you got so results could vary.

Reaper is a digital audio workstation, and is quite advanced, used for lots of production and recording purposes, but it's also cool to just plug in and play with effects. For your guitar to have distortion etc, you need to apply some effects to the signal (I think Reaper has some built-in ones) but LePou's amp simulators are good. Basically, you get a little window with a picture of an amp and you can tweak the settings, just as you would on a real amp.

I'm sure there are programmes which are only made for playing back sound, but i can't think of one off the top of my head. Plus, if you ever get into recording more seriously Reaper is the way to go, it has lots of options and is fairly easy to use.
Hey man,

If you plug your guitar straight to line-in, it's going to sound..... different. I'd recommend an audio interface, like this behringer that's only $50:

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-302USB-Premium-5-Input-Interface/dp/B005EHILV4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1391546954&sr=8-2&keywords=audio+interface

This way, you get little latency and a lot of clarity.

What model is this "lame" amp?
...Dude, I was totally going to make this thread, too.
I fell asleep on my arm once, scariest thing that ever happened to me. I thought it was kill.

UG's only Belgian Prog Rock band member
Here's my Equipboard: http://equipboard.com/wdsuita
Get a cheap USB audio device, and then look at software like amplitube, revalver, or guitar rig programs. The software will be the most expensive thing, but I believe you can get free sims on most of them and they sound pretty good.

The computer speakers would be the worst. Headphones are your best bet on a budget as you do not need really high end headphones to get better sound than an old set of Altec Lansing PC speakers.
Ive been using my laptop with vsthost and whatever emulators. It hasnt killed the speakers
on my laptop yet. I have cabinets emulators of course.lol
Idk...my sound cards works good with vsthost. I dont know what the lantency time is on
that thing but's it's low...in the 10 ms. That badboy runs from the headphone jack
into my little 15 watt practice amp. I adjust the input and output level of course so wont
kill my laptop or my amp.
There's grips of free amp emulators out there.

You can download Asio4all to give you more options with lantency issues.
I can get it down to .6 ms on some of the software.
Anything above 16ms isnt recomended for recording.

I need to get a sound card if I want to record on my PC. Im getting sucky lantency
time on it. Or want to be able to use foot pedals on some of the emulators.
It'll just be like a Gt-10 or whatever.....but with better viual
It needs midi jacks...ect.

Btw Im having issues making Reaper coming alive. I did the device settings.
It aint working.

My sound card and asio4all works on everything else. Why isnt it working with Reaper.
I wanna check out the lantency on it. Can anyone help?
Last edited by smc818 at Feb 4, 2014,
Seriously, don't just plug your guitar direct to your computer. That will only result in bad sounds and may blow your PC's input (yes it's true, there are people here it's happened to).

Go to the Recordings forum & read the interfaces sticky, it will tell you everything you need to know about using your PC for practicing guitar.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Not really sure. My laptop has direct sound and Hi Fi options.
The external mic input is set at 35. The main output is around 80.
It's just as loud as my giant flat screen. It's been like that for a year.

How am i suppost to install another sound card into my LT?
or the interface just give me more port options?..such as a midi jack?
The GT-8 or Gt-10 is just a little PC...no?
I use to run it from the headphone or output jack into my tascam. "Turn down the volume"
it say.
"Adjust the world EQ" if it's too bright. It said.

I finally figure out how to adjust the device or sound card manager on vsthost (free)
I dont even need asio4all to run for vsthost on my pc. I use the wave option
Just drag whatever .dll file into the screen and drop it in...simple.
it even has a recorder on it.

I just run it from the headphone jack into my little 15watt. Makes it sounds like
a full stack or has more bass respones than the PC's speakers.
Thats becuase I have cabinets emulators as stand alone or rack system witn built in
cabinets emulators. You need a CABINET EMULATOR. that's the key.
That's what made my GT-8 . The mic emulators and cabinet emulators options.

Anyways I finally got reaper to run. 1ms latency. It all sounds the same...good
I plug electric guitar into FocusRite Saffire 2i2 interface/external soundcard, which plugs into both my computer via USB and into a pair of external JBL studio monitors. I have Reaper and downloaded a bunch of free guitar VSTs (virtual amps, virtual preamps, virtual cabs, virtual pedals, and more). I've been working with it, on and off, for over a year, though truthfully most days I just play acoustic or, if I do use Reaper, I am playing around with synthesizers. I have not run an electric guitar through this in months.

One reason I do not do this much is that, frankly, working out a good chain of VSTs to get the distorted guitar tone I want is frickin' hard. I have spent dozens of hours trying out these different VSTs, trying different combinations, etc., and usually I'm stuck with some lame fuzzy wall of distortion sound. The guitar also has an impact. I have two $200 electrics and one $100 electric-acoustic. I can plug them in through the exact same VST chain and the electric acoustic will sound noticeably thinner/worse than the other two. The other two sound different from each other a bit, but I'm not sure one is objectively "better" than the other. But, anyway, using the computer software will not necessarily cure the problem of weak pickups and such.

Now, I have stuck to all free amp simulators, preamps, cabs, pedals, etc. I have briefly used a free trial of one of the better known amp sims that costs around $100 or more, and I think I did get some good tones pretty quick, but then the trial ran out. I've read enough people praising the free stuff, that there should theoretically be way for me to get as good a tone from the free sims I've gone, I just honestly don't know enough about how to set them up to get a good tone yet. That sort of thing can eat away all your practice time if you let it.

Well, also, I got a small Vox tube amp, 4 watt, and I like the tone on that, which is another reason I do not spend time trying to get great tone through my computer. Ironically, I first got Reaper and the interface and studio monitors mainly so I could play electric guitar through the computer and use software amp sims and such, but once I had it, I wound up getting interested in learning to use synthesizers, program beats, melodies, electronica, and such.

People say with guitar, or music in general, there is always more to learn and you can spend a lifetime and still have a lot more to learn/understand. Well, getting into any DAW is a whole new rabbit hole of stuff that can take lifetimes to learn, or so it seems to me. If I took the time I spent figuring out how to do stuff on Reaper, and had spent that instead on practicing guitar, I'd be frickin' amazing on guitar right now, at least compared to how I actually am. So you might want to consider if you want the distraction.

Ken
Bernie Sanders for President!
Quote by GaryBillington
Seriously, don't just plug your guitar direct to your computer. That will only result in bad sounds and may blow your PC's input (yes it's true, there are people here it's happened to).

A non-amplified signal going into your computer will not blow the sound card or damage it in any way, sounds bad though.

Quote by smc818
How am i suppost to install another sound card into my LT?
or the interface just give me more port options?..such as a midi jack?
The GT-8 or Gt-10 is just a little PC...no?

You don't need another internal sound card. The USB audio device acts as a soundcard.

Quote by smc818
I just run it from the headphone jack into my little 15watt. Makes it sounds like a full stack or has more bass respones than the PC's speakers.
Thats becuase I have cabinets emulators as stand alone or rack system witn built in
cabinets emulators. You need a CABINET EMULATOR. that's the key.
That's what made my GT-8 . The mic emulators and cabinet emulators options.

So you are going from the pc sound output to the MP3 jack on your amplifier? Or are you using an adapter and plugging into the guitar input? Doesn't it sound bad going from a pseudo "amplified" signal on the VST to a real amplifier and putting it through the amp's EQ and everything?
Last edited by bigblockelectra at Feb 5, 2014,
Quote by bigblockelectra
A non-amplified signal going into your computer will not blow the sound card or damage it in any way, sounds bad though.

No, it probably won't damage the sound card - but it can kill the input you're plugging in to.

There are several people over in the recordings forum it's happened to, thats why we have it listed as the No. 1 thing to avoid and also a disclaimer in the sticky saying we won't provide any advice to people on how to do it.

That's also why we have stickies full of interface & VST recommendations that TS really need to read.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I have different amps from 1/2 stacks to twins reverbs to little 15watts with or without reverb.
I started noticing all these different settings from running my gt-8 into my tascam,
into make half stack or my practice amp. I have to lower the volume on the Gt-8
when going into the tascam.

Too hot of a single would kill my practice amp. My half stack has a -db jack option.
The tascam dosnt. There's a volume a knob on the back of the GT-8.
I can easily adjust EQ on my amps.

Anyways...depending on the latency setting. It's going be too hot for certain software.
So I just set the input level of the mic 35....straigh across the board for everyhing
when running my guitar into the pc. I let the software do it's processing.

Yes, I just run it from the 3mm headphone jack from my PC...those are the only jacks.lol
The output level is around 60-70. So it's not too hot.
I let the amp do it's work...Amplified. Not too loud to bother everyone in the house.
But it gives me sounds as if Im hooked up to a bigger amp with 4x12

I have vst files everywhere.hahaaa

I just ran across DIG by acmebargig yesterday. I grab it (it's free). It has preset banks.
It has cabinet emulators...bascailly a rack. The only thing missing is reverb. No big deal
It's the predesessor of Shred by acembargig.
I also download the Freeamp 2.5 or whatever. This rack system gives me easier set up
for blues or cleaner tones. I get tried of messing with knobs after a while.
Last edited by smc818 at Feb 5, 2014,
I'll throw out one thing if your computer speakers are crappy go get a really good pair of cheap headphones like Audio-Technica ATH-M30. Evey thing will sound so much better.