I have a chance to buy a Fender Stratocaster NOS 1969 Custom Shop built 2000
it looks feels and plays well. comes with original certificates and original case.
Price of $2000 AUD ~$1800 USD Is this price reasonable or overpriced?
I am always skeptical about these VOS/NOS guitar companies are putting out. I highly doubt they are making them with actual vintage correct parts but are making them with spec'd parts that are completely modern. because everyone knows the companies just leave old stock parts lying around for 40/50 yrs
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Some bits are vintage correct, some bits aren't as close. You want closer with the right name on the headstock? Build a time machine.

They're pretty close now. I saw a video with Eric Johnson and he couldn't tell the difference between a 62 Strat and a AVRI 62. But he is on their payroll. I think he has integrity though.
Fender's never claimed to use actual NOS parts in these guitars, it's just a marketing term. I think what matters is that they're reasonably close to the originals and more importantly they are really, really well made.

That's a good price on that guitar, especially considering you're in Australia where you usually get hosed on prices. You can always check eBay (AUS and USA, other countries if you feel like it) to see completed listings on those guitars. I think retail on them is something like $4K now, but my only hesitation would be that it may be a fake (not saying there's any particular reason to think it is, but you need to verify with this kind of guitar). Make sure you're getting what's advertised before you drop that kind of money. I don't know if they were making that model in 2000, do your research before you buy.
^ Ok I thought it was something like Gibsons VOS guitars where they claim it has NOS parts
Yes for OZ that is not a bad price
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
They claim that they're from the 50's? I've never read that. If true, that's hilarious.
Thanks for the feedback, i have tried researching that model and tried to find that model and similar for sale, but came up empty.
I thought NOS was not 'new old stock' but actually new original specifications'
of course they wouldnt leave thousands of parts around for 50+ years.. and if they came from second hand guitars from that era they would be worth more restored than built new..
Last edited by bucmj004 at Feb 4, 2014,
Quote by Robbgnarly
^ Ok I thought it was something like Gibsons VOS guitars where they claim it has NOS parts
Yes for OZ that is not a bad price

Gibson also does not claim that they use new old stock parts. Both companies use NOS/VOS only as a marketing term to distinguish their vintage-spec guitars from other models that are not as accurate (and/or lower end) and models that are similarly accurate but distressed ("Relic") models.

VOS as Gibson uses it stands for Vintage Original Spec, which in itself implies that the parts are vintage specification only and not actually originals. I don't know where you got the idea that they claimed they were using old parts. I've never seen such a thing. As you say, obviously neither company has been sitting on boxes of shiny new parts for 50 years so it would be rather foolish for them to claim they're putting those nonexistent parts in guitars.

Quote by Mephaphil
They claim that they're from the 50's? I've never read that. If true, that's hilarious.

That would be a good story, but sadly it's not true.