Hi guys
Years ago I tried a crate powerblock amp and I still remember it as being the best solid-state I've ever heard for metal, genuinely brutal. However I use both clean and grunt channels live so sadly it got passed over.
I've just stumbled across an ad for the shockwave head and wondered how it compared tone wise? Is a shockwave basically a 3 channel powerblock head?
Does anyone know if they were built at the same time and possibly share the same tone circuitry?
Cheers for any insights!
Hey there,

I might be able to help you a bit since the other 35 people could not

If I recall, the Powerblock is just a power amp. Usually it would be used for reamping a guitar signal etc and not necessarily as a standalone guitar amp. The Shockwave, and similarly the Crate Blue Voodoo, are standalone guitar amps. They have a preamp section to shape your tone and then a power amp section to project your tone.

I played a Shockwave once and thought it was pretty decent for what it was.

Now, if you want real amp help please follow this format:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31052894&postcount=2

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Hey there,

I might be able to help you a bit since the other 35 people could not

If I recall, the Powerblock is just a power amp. Usually it would be used for reamping a guitar signal etc and not necessarily as a standalone guitar amp. The Shockwave, and similarly the Crate Blue Voodoo, are standalone guitar amps. They have a preamp section to shape your tone and then a power amp section to project your tone.

I played a Shockwave once and thought it was pretty decent for what it was.

Now, if you want real amp help please follow this format:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31052894&postcount=2

Actually, the Powerblock was an amp. IIRC it was supposed to be like a mini head you could take around for backup etc...
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I know this doesn't really answer your question, though if you want a real brutal SS amp you may look around for an Ampeg SS140.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Actually, the Powerblock was an amp. IIRC it was supposed to be like a mini head you could take around for backup etc...

That's exactly what it was. I think they had two channels, clean and dirt, I think a BMT EQ. It's been a long time since I've seen one of these.

It seems that most people would use PowerBlocks as a power amp for a digital preamp or modeller.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Ah, so no actual tone comparisons then? Oh well, worth a go....
For the record I did use it as a power amp to power a pod and it certainly gave it lots more mid crunch whilst retaining the versatility of the pod.
I will check out the ampeg amp that was quoted though, never heard of that one...