Page 1 of 2
according to Jerry @ FJA mods, has gone to crap. he said he no longer recommends or installs any tubes from these companies. im glad i talked to him before i purchased the high gain jj tube set from eurotubes. he recommends Tube Amp Dr power tubes and Mullard, TAD, or Ruby in the preamp. my stock 6505 has all ruby tubes. anybody have any recommendations for my amp? i know a lot of people like to run different tubes for pi and mix up the preamp tubes. i like tight and chunky with a lot of meat without getting muddy.
I've never had an issue from JJ. They're my go-to tube
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by classicrocker01
I've never had an issue from JJ. They're my go-to tube

you will eventually
I've had problems with almost every (modern) tube company. I had a JJ ec83 pull apart when it was removed from my amp.

SED is the only company I have had no issues with, but I have only bought a few sets of tubes, so not like that is an indepth comparison.

But Ruby rebrands JJ, Sovtek and anything else they want to (they do not make tubes at all)

Almost all brands besides the Shuguang (or what ever it is) is owned by New Sensor. That is JJ, Tung Sol, Sovtek, Mullard, Svetlana, Genelex
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Feb 4, 2014,
TAD don't make tubes either
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Ive had issues with New Sensor stuff except their mullard ri 12ax7.

JJ are better off bought from eurotubes or ruby rebranded ones from someone else.

^^New Sensor doesnt own JJ
Quote by steven_ferns84
Ive had issues with New Sensor stuff except their mullard ri 12ax7.

JJ are better off bought from eurotubes or ruby rebranded ones from someone else.

^^New Sensor doesnt own JJ

wonder if that high gain metal set eurotubes sells is worth it or makes a huge difference in tone. i was really interested in that kt88/sl6 combo they offer but... everybody tends to believe mixing kt88's with 6505's is a big no no without doing some serious mods
Ruby Tubes are JJs in a lot of cases.
If you buy from a good dealer, they're going to test the tubes before you get them. If you buy Rubys from that same dealer, all that means is that Ruby tested them, then sent them to the dealer, with some markup. If JJ is having QC problems, your dealer would much rather have Ruby take the hit on the bad tubes than doing it himself. That's a legitimate business decision, but he's only suggesting Ruby tubes because they're higher margin for him than JJ. It doesn't actually mean anything to the consumer beyond perhaps a higher price, and that value should be up to the consumer to decide.

So if you're buying tubes from Guitar Center, yeah, get the Rubys, then at least someone has tested them. But if you're buying from a dealer that tests their tubes, I wouldn't pay more for Ruby tubes just because the guy is whining about JJ's QC. It sucks that he's not making as much money on JJs, but I'm not going to buy some shitty rebranded Sovteks if JJs are still available, and I don't see any point in buying Rubys that have just gone through an extra middleman if other options are available.

I'm still going to buy JJs. It's too bad their QC is bad, but all that means is that I might pay a buck or two more for properly tested tubes. They're still the best new tubes on the market, and it's foolish to pay for untested tubes anyway. So, it's a bummer that the dealers aren't making as much money, but I don't base my tube choices on how much money someone else is going to make on them.
Quote by Roc8995
Ruby Tubes are JJs in a lot of cases.
If you buy from a good dealer, they're going to test the tubes before you get them. If you buy Rubys from that same dealer, all that means is that Ruby tested them, then sent them to the dealer, with some markup. If JJ is having QC problems, your dealer would much rather have Ruby take the hit on the bad tubes than doing it himself. That's a legitimate business decision, but he's only suggesting Ruby tubes because they're higher margin for him than JJ. It doesn't actually mean anything to the consumer beyond perhaps a higher price, and that value should be up to the consumer to decide.

So if you're buying tubes from Guitar Center, yeah, get the Rubys, then at least someone has tested them. But if you're buying from a dealer that tests their tubes, I wouldn't pay more for Ruby tubes just because the guy is whining about JJ's QC. It sucks that he's not making as much money on JJs, but I'm not going to buy some shitty rebranded Sovteks if JJs are still available, and I don't see any point in buying Rubys that have just gone through an extra middleman if other options are available.

I'm still going to buy JJs. It's too bad their QC is bad, but all that means is that I might pay a buck or two more for properly tested tubes. They're still the best new tubes on the market, and it's foolish to pay for untested tubes anyway. So, it's a bummer that the dealers aren't making as much money, but I don't base my tube choices on how much money someone else is going to make on them.

thanx for the heads up. im going with the metal high gain set from eurotubes.

oh.... GO GAMECOCKS! sorry, i could resist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHD--w46WmE
Last edited by Count FurFur at Feb 4, 2014,
You realize those are JJs, right?
You guys are pretty good at football but I don't know how good your reading is.

just kidding still mad about that game
Quote by Roc8995
You realize those are JJs, right?
You guys are pretty good at football but I don't know how good your reading is.

yes, i know their JJ's. i pretty much had my mind set on getting them anyways. you just finalized the deal. and no... we suck at reading. football, baseball, international business and lip reading is all we're good at lol
Quote by Roc8995

y'all have an awesome running game and your linebackers play with a lot of heart and soul. badgers are probably the classiest team the gamecocks have ever played. cant remember your super star linebackers name but he was awesome! he knock the crap out of shaw or davis then help them off the grass. very clasy guy. much respect for the badgers! to bad we found y'alls weak spots. your safeties sucked up the middle on seam routes and your offense wasnt as effective in the red zone. badgers are set for a fine future for atleast 3 years, again... much respect and a good ball game!
Quote by Count FurFur
according to Jerry @ FJA mods, has gone to crap. he said he no longer recommends or installs any tubes from these companies. im glad i talked to him before i purchased the high gain jj tube set from eurotubes. he recommends Tube Amp Dr power tubes and Mullard, TAD, or Ruby in the preamp. my stock 6505 has all ruby tubes. anybody have any recommendations for my amp? i know a lot of people like to run different tubes for pi and mix up the preamp tubes. i like tight and chunky with a lot of meat without getting muddy.

this doesn't really make much sense, mainly for the reasons Robb pointed out.

truth is i don't know of any tube company where the 'Quality Control' hasn't gone to crap. i don't know of a single modern brand that hasn't shipped dead tubes.

from what i understand mullard, TAD, and Ruby are just rebrands... of other companies that have a poor QC program.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
^ I was under the impression the new mallard 12ax7, EL34 and EL84 were their own tubes and not rebrands
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The Mullard reissue is a Sovtek with a different grid. Externally they look the same.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
My auto spell check keeps making it Mallard when I type Mullard

So the glass is Sovtek but the internals are their own thing? did I get that right
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
They're made in the same factory on the same machines. The only difference is the grid. The plate, cathode and heaters are identical. Well, that's true of the 12AX7 anyway.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Well they deff sound different when comparing them to a sovtek. I really like the new Mullard's in my JCM
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
mullard's dont have enough gain for me. maybe add one in the mix to clean things up a little.
Well, the grid is pretty important.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Count FurFur
mullard's dont have enough gain for me. maybe add one in the mix to clean things up a little.

They are the highest gain tube being made right now

One of the tube stores did a gain comparison and the new Mullards had the highest gain rating of any current production 12ax7
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
They are the highest gain tube being made right now

One of the tube stores did a gain comparison and the new Mullards had the highest gain rating of any current production 12ax7

wow. maybe their doing something different since New Sensor took over. i heard a modded jcm 800 2203 loaded with mullard 12ax7's and i wasnt impressed at all. the cleans were very good but the gain was on par with a stock jcm800. again, this was like 5 years ago.

you think the mullard's would have more balls than the jj's via preamp 6505?
I don't know.
I use a Mullard 12ax7 in V1 of my JCM2000 and JJ ec83 in V2/V3 and it sounds really nice
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Afaik the Mullard reissues have always been made by New Sensor. Original Mullards were made in the UK by Phillips (and some in other countries like here - but none in Russia)
The old Phillips Mullards are so much better than the Russian ones that I think it is a travesty that they use the same name.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I thought they reworked the new Mullards a few years ago?

Could have just been worn out tubes, too.
I have ordered over 20 JJ83's in the last 2 years and only 1 has been bad out of the box.

I'l stick with them. You can buy all the ruby tubes you want.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
I go through a lot of tubes and the only JJ that has been faulty was a 6CA7 with cracked glass - and that could have happened at any time between the factory and me.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^Their 6ca7 tubes are robust looking. Those with el34 amps are gonna like them for a big low end & low mids than the e34l tube.

As far as the high gain set from eurotubes is concerned, i dont see the need to get high gain 83s for a 6505 amp. The regular ones will do fine. Besides those 83s are mostly high gain or close to it anyway.

The mullard ri 12ax7 is a solid tube but pricier, sounds rather compressed as well to my ears. I like the jj ecc803s over it.

Get one regular ecc803s for the PI spot if ya gonna load jj 83s in rest of the spots. It will lively up the amp
Quote by R45VT
I have ordered over 20 JJ83's in the last 2 years and only 1 has been bad out of the box.

I'l stick with them. You can buy all the ruby tubes you want.

i got 20 a few months ago, no duds. from (from MF though).

i still have 8 12at7's that are good that i haven't figured where to go.

i plan on picking some more JJ's up next time i ordered (although it may hit a little out of the budget for my amp).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i got 20 a few months ago, no duds. from (from MF though).

i still have 8 12at7's that are good that i haven't figured where to go.

i plan on picking some more JJ's up next time i ordered (although it may hit a little out of the budget for my amp).

Wait for a tubedepot sale. Get some 83's and a couple 803's along with some sovtek LPS and JAN5751.

They normally knock a $1 off during the sale for preamp. More $$ for power amp tubes. Good deals on EL34's if you have any amps that run them.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by steven_ferns84
^Their 6ca7 tubes are robust looking. Those with el34 amps are gonna like them for a big low end & low mids than the e34l tube.

As far as the high gain set from eurotubes is concerned, i dont see the need to get high gain 83s for a 6505 amp. The regular ones will do fine. Besides those 83s are mostly high gain or close to it anyway.

The mullard ri 12ax7 is a solid tube but pricier, sounds rather compressed as well to my ears. I like the jj ecc803s over it.

Get one regular ecc803s for the PI spot if ya gonna load jj 83s in rest of the spots. It will lively up the amp
I have EL34L's in my Randall. They are the ones to go for for a big bottom end. The 6CA7's I would recommend for those who want ACDC type power amp crunch, I wouldn't rec them for getting more bass, that's an EL34L's job really.

The ECC803 is a great V1 tube. If you're gonna stick one anywhere, that's where I'd put it. It's also where it does the most good, noise floor speaking.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I have EL34L's in my Randall. They are the ones to go for for a big bottom end. The 6CA7's I would recommend for those who want ACDC type power amp crunch, I wouldn't rec them for getting more bass, that's an EL34L's job really.

The ECC803 is a great V1 tube. If you're gonna stick one anywhere, that's where I'd put it. It's also where it does the most good, noise floor speaking.

I always thought the JJ KT77 had the biggest bass, from what I have read

Tube depot is having a sale right now jjecc83 <$9
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Feb 6, 2014,
Yeah, but the EL34L does it without sacrificing midrange. I really haven't had much to do with KT77's tbh so I have a limited basis for comparison. You may very well be right. Those JJ EL34L's are a mighty tube though, nonetheless.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I have long plate JJs in V1 and V2 and couldn't be happier. throwing a JAN 5751 into the PI when I feel like buying tubes. Might try to pick up a 12ay7 and maybe something else while I'm at it.

If I ever win the lottery, were going to start producing tubes in the states again.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by R45VT
Wait for a tubedepot sale. Get some 83's and a couple 803's along with some sovtek LPS and JAN5751.

They normally knock a $1 off during the sale for preamp. More $$ for power amp tubes. Good deals on EL34's if you have any amps that run them.

the only reason i got them from MF (which is because i like the small sites and shops) $9 after price match. that was really hard. now i wish i would have picked up 20 more. i have quite a few of half-life of just about everything and some nearly new.

i will have to give the LPS and 5751's a shot. thanks
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
The SED factory closed. Buy now, the price is already climbing.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification