I consider myself a beginner. Previously I messed around with a guitar and learned some licks and chords but am picking it up again. Need a quiet amp for town home.

1. Not for gigging. I don't do that.
2. I want to play Blues Rock. Tones such as Dan Auerbach from early 2000's, Jack White, Gary Clark Jr, Vintage Trouble, some crunchy stuff. No metal at all.
3. I am looking at the new Fender Champion 20 or Marshall MG15 (despite its reputation).
4. I am not afraid of pedals (used them before).
5. Budget about $100.

Please, I just want to practice and get better but would like the best cheapest alternative to what I like playing. I can always get another amp later. I just don't want to bother neighbors too much with a tube or large amp.

I am more than willing to listen to suggestions if you think something else would work! Thanks everyone.
Epi G400 '66 Reissue
w/ Airline Vintage Voiced Single Coil Pickups
I'd highly recommend one of the Fender Mustang amps for what you're wanting to do, preferably a model with a 12" speaker but any will suite you fine I think.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Look for a used Roland Blues Cube, great for what you want
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Fender Mustang I version 2.0 so you get the pawn shop amp and fuzz models.
The Roland Cubes are good models for just about any style. I owned one a few years ago and I got some decent blues-rock tones out of it. Dependable, inexpensive, and versatile. Can't speak for the Fender Mustang or the Marshalls, however.
Check out the Vox VTs too. Dirt cheap dirt tone.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by lucky1978
Check out the Vox VTs too. Dirt cheap dirt tone.

This - excellent little practice amps.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Yeah the VTs are good!
But for what ya wanna do, get the cheapest you can find between a VT and a mustang and maybe the cube, preferrably one with a 12" speakers.
That's pretty much the standard for guitar amps, which means that even if it may not be that good of an idea, it'll most likely sound better (fullier and stuff) with a guitar.

Whatever the reason, don't buy a Marshall MG.
They have Marshall written on them but they sound bad.
And they're not even cheap for what they are.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Thanks. The Marshall MG is off my list. I keep hearing some audio from it and while it's clean I didn't think it was too bad, but the more gain thrown on it the more and more I hate it.

A long time ago, my first "real" amp was a Mustang 1. I really disliked the layout of the buttons and thought it was a good idea to download tones with the FUSE software, but I like the simplicity of the Champion 20. I am very interested in the Tweed, Blackface, and British voicings on the amp (I would never use Metal - plus it sounds horrible on that amp anyways I think).

However, thanks to your replies, I am very interested in the Roland Micro Cube (the Blues Cube would be cool as hell but I can't find any). I love the different voicings on that amp.

I still got to check out the VOX VT's. Thanks everyone.
Epi G400 '66 Reissue
If it was a real long time ago, mustangs have changed.
They're labeled as V.2 now.

Plus!
The mustang III and above have a different, way smarter layout.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Spambot: I did a quick search and the V2 Mustang 1 is now intriguing to me. They have different amp voicings than I remembered with the V1 that I think suit me better. OOOOH I am interested now.
Epi G400 '66 Reissue
I saw a Roland BC30 (blues cube) for $189 at GC used site
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
something used for sure.
Squier Vintage Modified 1970s Stratocaster.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by Robbgnarly
This is the best amp I could find for $99 www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-LINE-6-FLEXTONE-1X12-109670238-i3553832.gc

It is a great amp and very versitile

Just the cab Homie.... I picked up a mustang v2 in a trade. Nice little amps sound pretty darn good if you can't crank up the big amp.... Or strapped for $$$ not to bad.
no spiders and no MG's i agree with finding something with a 12" speaker. none of them are much better than the others really.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by mmjohn
Just the cab Homie.... I picked up a mustang v2 in a trade. Nice little amps sound pretty darn good if you can't crank up the big amp.... Or strapped for $$$ not to bad.

I thought it was the Flextone I 1x12, didn't realize it was the extention cab
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I recommend a vox vt. They are great little practice amps. They have 22 modeled amps. Combine that with the fact they have a gain, volume, master volume, AND a limiter knob on the back that can step it up or down from 15w to 1w. This means you can get some great crunchy distortions at low levels. If you play around with it enough you can really dial in your tone to pretty much anything you want it to be. Also it has 8 channels you can save your tones to so that once you get that tone you are looking for you don't have to constantly be playing with the dials to get it back. It also has a bunch of effects. Some descent. Some so so. This way you don't really have to mess around with a bunch of pedals.

It does have a smaller speaker then the 12" most people are saying to stick with. But again you are in a town home. I don't believe you could really benefit all that much from a 12 at that low of levels.

Its not the end all be all of amps. But again you are using it for practice. Not going on gigs with it.

I also know cubes are good. But the vox is much closer to the price you are looking to spend.

I have never played on a mustang but I have heard good things about them as well.

Good luck. I hope you enjoy whatever you decide on!
I would go with fender. They always have good products, but they can be a little expensive when buying new.
Update: I really appreciate everyones input. It led me down a path where I think I got the right cheap SS amp for me.

I really was interested in a Roland Cube but I think I am drawn to the Vox sound. Or I guess close to it.
I ended getting a Vox Pathfinder 10 (under $100). For a tiny amp this thing is great. I think I am truly drawn to simplicity and this is pretty much as simple as it gets.
I tried one out simply because of price and knew it was for me. I get a subtle crunch when I want (I will say the gain at max isn't that good) and rarely go above half (or 12:00). The clean is crispy!!!

Thanks everyone. I may not have got what was advised but clearly steering me away from the MG was critical.
Epi G400 '66 Reissue
Been tempted to try one of those for a long time. HNAD!
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud