Hi. Its me again. Do you guys hate me yet?
(Someone please tell me if I'm making too many threads. I feel like I'm spamming GG&A just a little bit...)

I'm looking to play music similar to, rock (Foo Fighters, Muse, Minus the Bear), post-hardcore (Alexisonfire), "radio metal" (Bullet for My Valentine, Five Finger Death Punch, Avenged Sevenfold), post-rock (Caspian, This Will Destroy You), Opeth, Mastodon, and Karnivool.

Budget is about $2000CAD, for a 50 to 100 watt amp. I'm also looking to buy new, from Long and McQuade, as a used market doesn't really exist within a 5-6 hour drive radius of where I live. I would be buying this most likely sight unseen, though I might be driving to Saskatoon in a couple weeks.

Shopping off of the Long and McQuade site, I have a few amps that are sticking out to me from this page: http://www.long-mcquade.com/page=departments&DepartmentsID=215&FilterCost=2

They would be, in descending price, from the L&M page:

Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic RA-100H - Fredrik Akkeson plays one iirc
Marshall JVM410H
Orange Rockerverb MkII - Mastodon played these
Mesa Boogie Dual Rec - a lot of radio metal bands play these
EVH 5150 III - newly to pique my interest, Karnivool plays an older 5150
Marshall JVM210H (100 watt) or 205H (50 watt)
Marshall VM 2466 - Mikael Akerfeldt plays one

I doubt that one amp will cover all of the bands listed, as there is a drastic variety of tones. I do have an OD and a Fuzz pedal to get more tones, but I want a good quality base for my tone.

Thanks for your time guys.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
I think my answer is the same as your other thread(s) but I would just go there, take your own guitar, and plan on hanging out there all day. Call the manager ahead of time and let them know your intentions. Spending that kind of money on a new amp they should be more than willing to not only let you do that but also assist in moving amps and cabs around for you.

I have not played the Royal Atlantic but just having to choose between those amps new I would go for the 5153, Rockerverb, Royal Atlantic, Dual Rec, VM, then JVM in that order.
If you are really wanting to nail the tones your band plays, I would cut the VM off your list, it just isn't as modern as the others, and while it hurts me to say this, I don't think the RA will really do it either, so LOG did use them on Resolution so maybe it can cop some real heavy tones. The Rockerverb would go next, but again, this is if you want to nail your "playing out" tones.

As 311 said, you need to make the trip. I'm sure that you would be happy with any of those amps, but the one that is just right? We can't tell you that man. For the sake of versatility, the 5150 III and JVMs probably have it, but I personally don't like the JVMs, very fizzy high gain sound. Other than that, I don't know what to tell you.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Thanks guys. I'm always open to more advice. A 6 hour drive isn't exactly ideal, but I'll probably be going there anyways in the next couple weeks, so may as well swing by and try out amps for a few hours.

It'd be my biggest purchase thus far, besides buying a car, so I really don't want to make the "wrong" choice.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
To be honest, I just bought an Egnater Vengeance and I am 99% sure it can do everything you listed. Like, everything.
LTD Viper 1000 Deluxe
Simon & Patrick CW GT Vintageburst
Egnater Vengeance
ISP Technologies Theta (for sale)
ISP Technologies Vector (for sale)
Randall RG75DG2
Maxon OD808
Boss Super Shifter PS-5
Boss Chromatic Tuner TU-3
The 6505+ and 5150 stuff can hit the heavier and modern tones, BFMV uses them as I recall. Ever play a Jet City? I know Zacky from A7X uses them LIVE, but on their last record the stuck with Syns new custom amp. I find that the JCA has a great low end grind, and its thicker than my DSL. Both those amps can do hard rock well, and I loved my old 6505+ for hard rock and metal core stuff. I actually like the JVM for Rock music, but it does get kinda fizzy with high gain. But you may be able to play with that and work around it, it DOES have a ridiculous amount of gain.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
I've heard a lot of good things about Mesa's Royal Atlantic. I would definitely put that on your short list. People say it is good for a number of genres; one of those people being John Petrucci. The Dual Rectifier is really geared for the very heavy stuff. I am sure it can do other things, but it does the heavy, high-gain role best. It would certainly be good for things similar to Five Finger Death Punch, though.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
I've heard a lot of good things about Mesa's Royal Atlantic. I would definitely put that on your short list. People say it is good for a number of genres; one of those people being John Petrucci. The Dual Rectifier is really geared for the very heavy stuff. I am sure it can do other things, but it does the heavy, high-gain role best. It would certainly be good for things similar to Five Finger Death Punch, though.

+311

The RA100 does a very nice pissed-off Marshall, different from the QuickRod because of the thicker sound, signature Mesa.
Last edited by Ippon at Feb 5, 2014,
Well gents, for about $200 more, I'm also looking at the Mesa Boogie Mark V. As far as I know about the amp, its supposed to do a lot of genres well, and thats what I'm after. And, if the Mark IV is anything to go by, the V should be in the lineup for a long time, which is also a bonus.

I was thinking of financing the amp, regardless of what I buy, so price isn't that big of an issue, as long as its a quality amp. And that demo for the Royal Atlantic was pretty deadly.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Quote by PatrickChampoux
To be honest, I just bought an Egnater Vengeance and I am 99% sure it can do everything you listed. Like, everything.

that amp is pure garbage and you know it. unless your playing old hair metal like judas priest or dokken... the vengeance is not gonna do it. that amp is nothing more than a pissed off plexi. its noisy as crap and has zero balls. i regretted so bad buying that amp. still makes my skin crawl. paid $1,100 new and was lucky i got $472 for it on ebay. the first auction didnt even sell. i had to offer free shipping. please dont ever... and i mean ever, recommend that piece of crap amp!!!! have you seen the horrible re-sale value? its awful. i have buddy that works for GC. he said they had a vengeance sit on the floor for 5 months before finally selling on ebay. they got less $500 for a mint condition vengeance. quality control sux to. the amp is fully manufactured in china to. cheaply made and a piss poor design.

op... strongly consider a 5153. very nice cleans and gnarly gain. it will not disappoint.
The first amps that come to mind are the old Marshall JCM2000 DSL100, or the Laney VH100R.

Out of your list, probably the Rockerverb. Don't really see what you want to play happening as well with any of the others.

The Royal Atlantic is an exception because I have not heard enough of it to make any judgements or recommendations about it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Count FurFur
that amp is pure garbage and you know it. unless your playing old hair metal like judas priest or dokken... the vengeance is not gonna do it. that amp is nothing more than a pissed off plexi. its noisy as crap and has zero balls. i regretted so bad buying that amp. still makes my skin crawl. paid $1,100 new and was lucky i got $472 for it on ebay. the first auction didnt even sell. i had to offer free shipping. please dont ever... and i mean ever, recommend that piece of crap amp!!!! have you seen the horrible re-sale value? its awful. i have buddy that works for GC. he said they had a vengeance sit on the floor for 5 months before finally selling on ebay. they got less $500 for a mint condition vengeance. quality control sux to. the amp is fully manufactured in china to. cheaply made and a piss poor design.

op... strongly consider a 5153. very nice cleans and gnarly gain. it will not disappoint.

you are just being a straight asshole. it works for him. it didn't for you. different people like different things. also diffrent people have different budgets.

if anybody is dumb in this was you paid for @1100 new obviously you saw something in it. sorry for you loss in the sale and the effort to move it.

i can think of very few large companies where some of their models aren't made in china. decent things come from china.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Count FurFur
horrible recording, real crappy playing. uploaded this vid right before i sold it. the buyer put it on ebay less than week after i sold him my amp.you get a feel of what the vengeance really sounds like. dont be fooled. not a metal amp!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itz9p0GA_L0

it probably been a lot better with a boost. and there was no discernible audio to hear if it is decent good or bad. its a video from a phone.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by AWACS
Well gents, for about $200 more, I'm also looking at the Mesa Boogie Mark V. As far as I know about the amp, its supposed to do a lot of genres well, and thats what I'm after. And, if the Mark IV is anything to go by, the V should be in the lineup for a long time, which is also a bonus.

I was thinking of financing the amp, regardless of what I buy, so price isn't that big of an issue, as long as its a quality amp. And that demo for the Royal Atlantic was pretty deadly.

Get the Mark V.
EGC Baritone | ESP M-I | Gibson LP Jr
BC Rich USA ST3 | Fender Telecaster
VHT/Fryette GP3 | Verellen Meatsmoke pre | Mesa 2:90
Soldano HR50+ | Marshall 2203KK | Krank RevJr 50 | Holden 50
Orange PPC412 | Laney GS412 | Mesa Thiele 112 | Alron 115
Quote by Count FurFur

Maybe you're just hilariously incompetent at dialing in an amp? I've played it and while it's no 5150 or SLO as far as aggression goes, it's a fine metal amp. Resale value is another story, and yea, Egnaters have shit resale value unless you get them on sale (which is fairly often) at like half off. You're fault for not doing any research.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrF_gu9VjNI
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
EVH 5150 III - newly to pique my interest, Karnivool plays an older 5150
Orange Rockerverb MkII - Mastodon played these
Mesa MKV
Mesa Boogie Dual Rec - a lot of radio metal bands play these

never played a RA so i won't put anything in on it.

the EVH III is a beast. i would love to have one, i did play both the 100w and 50w and must say that the 50 watter is far inferior to the 100 watter. the 100 watter is worth the price tag.

also i know most of you obviously know this but if somebody doesn't, the EVH 5150 III are far different thann the Peavey 5150 6505 etc. totally different amp

i love RV's and i have played them several times. which would you pick? 50w or 100w? i had the chance to A/B them and they are much more different in character. i liked the 50w, but it was very different than the 100w, but i didn't push either to gig volume.

MKV is probably one of the most versatile amp. i have played around with one, but as most people know somtimes mesas can be a little more timely to dial in. maybe played a few hours at different trips to a shop. i love the clean. great. i like the mid gain the most, but IMO the lead is better on the IV.

why did i buy a MKIV over a MKV? i paid like again $700 over $1700 (both in used price estimates but mine was $700ish. i chose to spend the money somewhere else.

Rectifiers - 2 channel dual rec is the most sought for older recs. they are good sounding amps. i picked up a Trem-O-Verb ($740) threw new JJ's everywhere and damn. i was pleasantly surprised. you have two channels, each has two models, vintage gain/clean on the top channel, and modern metal/blues on the other channel, it does all well. the tremolo isn't a huge factor, i think the amp is voiced much better than the typical dual rec.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by mmolteratx
Maybe you're just hilariously incompetent at dialing in an amp? I've played it and while it's no 5150 or SLO as far as aggression goes, it's a fine metal amp. Resale value is another story, and yea, Egnaters have shit resale value unless you get them on sale (which is fairly often) at like half off. You're fault for not doing any research.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrF_gu9VjNI

even in this video the amp sounds thin. buddy is running an mxr, compressor and noise gate.

lets see here. i have a very good friend that is a well known producer in the metal industry. he was given the same amp to toy around with in the studio to create a profile on a kemper. he absolutely hated it. to dark and no balls. the guy that missed out on a losing bid with my auction, bought one on sale new. he returned the amp. said the same thing. too dark, no balls. if you have ever owned a high gain amp like a 5150, or rectifier... you will be severely disappointed with the vengeance. and... i tried ocd, od808 and a green rhino. all it did was make the tone more gritty. no girth.

ftr, the only pedal that made the vengeance sound metal was throwing an amt e1 through the fx loop. sad...
Last edited by Count FurFur at Feb 6, 2014,
Mark V
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Count FurFur
even in this video the amp sounds thin. buddy is running an mxr, compressor and noise gate.

lets see here. i have a very good friend that is a well known producer in the metal industry. he was given the same amp to toy around with in the studio to create a profile on a kemper. he absolutely hated it. to dark and no balls. the guy that missed out on a losing bid with my auction, bought one on sale new. he returned the amp. said the same thing. too dark, no balls. if you have ever owned a high gain amp like a 5150, or rectifier... you will be severely disappointed with the vengeance. and... i tried ocd, od808 and a green rhino. all it did was make the tone more gritty. no girth.

ftr, the only pedal that made the vengeance sound metal was throwing an amt e1 through the fx loop. sad...

Yea, I've owned more high gain amps than you can imagine. 5150, SLO, Diezels, Bogners, CAAs, Mesas, etc. The Vengeance doesn't compete with the best, but it's more than acceptable. And too dark and no balls? I thought you said it was a hair metal amp? Hair metal is all about bright and punchy Marshall tones.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Try and get a simple but versatile one, and trick it out with some sweet pedals, and maybe even a guitar synth.
Quote by Count FurFur

Like everyone said in the comment section of your video, your amp had a problem for sure or was horribly dialed in. Please stop trying to spread misinformation. Just read your video comments. Everyone can't be wrong.
LTD Viper 1000 Deluxe
Egnater Vengeance
Randall RG75DG2
Maxon OD808
Boss Super Shifter PS-5
Quote by mmolteratx
Yea, I've owned more high gain amps than you can imagine. 5150, SLO, Diezels, Bogners, CAAs, Mesas, etc. The Vengeance doesn't compete with the best, but it's more than acceptable. And too dark and no balls? I thought you said it was a hair metal amp? Hair metal is all about bright and punchy Marshall tones.

Yeah it's not as pissed off as the amps you listed but hey, it costs 2 to 4 times less then a SLO, Diezels, etc. And it is not a one trick pony like the 5150 (and still costs a little less). I got mine, new, for 950 CAD including a Maxon OD808. But your point is still right, it is'nt as angry as the amps you listed. This amp is all about versatility.
LTD Viper 1000 Deluxe
Egnater Vengeance
Randall RG75DG2
Maxon OD808
Boss Super Shifter PS-5
^ +1 Patrick

Not sure why Count FurFur came in bashing your amp/recommendation

It also appears you paid around 800-850 CAD for yours - which is a good price.

Quote by Count FurFur
that amp is pure garbage and you know it. unless your playing old hair metal like judas priest or dokken... the vengeance is not gonna do it. that amp is nothing more than a pissed off plexi. its noisy as crap and has zero balls..... please dont ever... and i mean ever, recommend that piece of crap amp!!!!.

I didn't think it was that bad at all...the one I played. Is it perfect? Maybe not, but it is a decent amp and worth the recommendation. I personally didn't find it noisy, crappy, lacking in balls or sounding like a pissed off plexi. Maybe my ears are malfunctioning but I have a feeling it may be yours

Also - we generally do not bash other people's gear/recs like that here in GGnA. Take that shit to HarmonyCentral.

Quote by Count FurFur
quality control sux to..... the amp is fully manufactured in china to. cheaply made and a piss poor design.

Interesting. I found the amp to be pretty feature rich. Design seems fine. I mean, I don't think we really hear too many quality problems on most all of the Egnater amps coming from China, do we guys? Tweaker? Rebel? Renegade? Armageddon? Vengeance? I know of lots of other amps that come from China too that are not sux.

Quote by Count FurFur

Agreed.

Quote by Count FurFur
horrible recording, real crappy playing. uploaded this vid right before i sold it. the buyer put it on ebay less than week after i sold him my amp.you get a feel of what the vengeance really sounds like. dont be fooled. not a metal amp!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itz9p0GA_L0

umm,

Quote by Count FurFur

Try that video again. Go to 2:00 or better yet 5:30 and then tell me my ears are ****ed up. ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrF_gu9VjNI

Quote by Count FurFur
if you have ever owned a high gain amp like a 5150, or rectifier... you will be severely disappointed with the vengeance. and... i

Matt has owned more high gain amps then you have.

Quote by Count FurFur
with the vengeance. and... i tried ocd, od808 and a green rhino. all it did was make the tone more gritty. no girth.

Had girth to me with no pedals whatsoever.

I think it fits well with what AWACs is after. Are some of the other amps better? Maybe.
(Foo Fighters, Muse, Minus the Bear), post-hardcore (Alexisonfire), "radio metal" (Bullet for My Valentine, Five Finger Death Punch, Avenged Sevenfold), post-rock (Caspian, This Will Destroy You), Opeth, Mastodon, and Karnivool.

AWAC - my recommendations stand pretty much. Mark V would be cool too. Not sure if it will have the low end you want though. I only played it briefly and it was with a guitar I did not get along with.