Page 1 of 19

When: THURSDAY
Where: Sochi, Russia
What: The Winter Olympics
What's the USA wearing:

So what events are you guys looking forward to? Etc.

Okay, I don't care about that stuff too much. Here's what's interesting to me.

The North American media has descended on Sochi, and...how do we put this gently? Sochi's not ready.

The athlete accommodations are fine, if a bit cozy and, um, social. But the media hotels, along with much of the hastily-built city infrastructure, are decidedly lacking. Three of the nine hotels in the mountain complex simply aren't done, and the ones that are open are dirty, unfinished, broken, or infested with something or other.

Bruce Arthur is on the scene, and gives a good rundown:

Almost every room is missing something: lightbulbs, TVs, lamps, chairs, curtains, wifi, heat, hot water. Shower curtains are a valuable piece of the future black market here. (One American photographer was simply told, "You will not get a shower curtain.")

[...]

In the Ekaterininsky Kvartal hotel, the elevator is broken and the stairway is unlit, with stairs of varying and unpredictable heights.

Outside the Chistya Prudy, there is a bag of concrete in a palm tree, leaking grey down the trunk. Inside, some of the electrical outlets are just plates screwed into drywall.

Sports Illustrated's Brian Cazeneuve had to clamber through a window to get out of his hotel on Tuesday morning, since the doors were all unexpectedly locked. Chris Stevenson of the Ottawa Sun was without electricity for the first day.

Stacy St. Clair: My hotel has no water. If restored, the front desk says, "do not use on your face because it contains something very dangerous." #Sochi2014

Water restored, sorta. On the bright side, I now know what very dangerous face water looks like. #Sochi #unfiltered

Gross? You don't know gross. Arthur again:

Oh, and one journalist in the Omega hotel complex had to refuse a colleague's request to stay a night in the second twin bed because … well, there's no easy way to say this, but when the first journalist arrived, someone had left an indeterminate amount of semen on the sheets of the second bed, and those sheets had been taken away for cleaning, and hadn't come back.

German photographer Joerg Reuter has been in Sochi for two weeks, and spent much of that time trying to find a hotel room fit for humans.

"The outdoor area and floors/staircase/elevator inside were still under construction and completely dirty," Reuter wrote, adding that the room he was shown "had no light in the main room, the water out of the tap was yellow/brown, the air conditioning, TV, kitchenware were all not working ... Beside this the room was totally dirty and everywhere covered with dust."

The next room was worse.

"In some rooms you actually saw that there are still the construction workers sleeping and living," he wrote.

Seeing the dog walk out of the third room he was shown was a step too far.

"When I came out of the elevator, there was the dog. I said, 'Right, that's it,'" Reuter told The Associated Press.

So, those dogs. Sochi's privately contracted dog murder squads are apparently falling behind on their work. Every journalist says the area is rife with strays, just generally puttering around and minding their own business. Some are even quite friendly! But don't get too attached to them, as the Detroit Free Press's Jo-Ann Barnas did.

At a reported $51 billion, these are by far the most expensive Olympics in history. But transforming a sleepy beach town with little infrastructure and inappropriate geography into the world's hub requires a massive undertaking, one that Russia hasn't quite completed.

Team Canada's rooms:

There's also this that surfaced a few weeks ago:

And how about this church:

http://deadspin.com/staying-in-sochi-is-a-hilarious-adventure-1515722114
http://deadspin.com/unfinished-sochi-cultural-center-just-covered-up-with-t-1515885820
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Who the fuck holds winter olympics in an area where palm trees grow?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.

Restaurant menu
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
And they ban gays.
Bullshit
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58
And they ban gays.
Bullshit

Not all they ban

*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by lolmnt
Not all they ban

Have done all but the bottom right one. Have no idea wtf that is supposed to be.
So maybe I did that one too.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by bifteksupernova
Where else can you go fishing if not in the toilet?

the internet

fishing for compliments pow
Quote by Jackal58
Have done all but the bottom right one. Have no idea wtf that is supposed to be.
So maybe I did that one too.

looks like they're shooting up
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
Quote by chaoticfables
the internet

fishing for compliments pow

They don't have internet there either...
Last.fm So you can make fun of my taste in music
Youtube So you can make fun of my videos
Quote by DimebagLivesOn
looks like they're shooting up

Well then have done all but the bottom right one.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by behind_you
Why is pissing skittles prohibited

Spray the rainbow!
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
Oh yeah I forgot all about the Winter Olympics actually happening

It's always boring watching this one compared to Summer
Quote by darkcheef
Oh yeah I forgot all about the Winter Olympics actually happening

It's always boring watching this one compared to Summer

yeah summer blows it out of the water but it's something to tide me over until mls/world cup
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
Aside from the track events in the summer, I've always preferred the winter games. Hockey, skiing, now snowboarding, hockey, bobsleigh, luge and hockey. What else could you ask for?
Last.fm So you can make fun of my taste in music
Youtube So you can make fun of my videos
Quote by Jackal58
Well then have done all but the bottom right one.
I think he's chucking a syringe
ggg1 ggg3

Quote by behind_you

why are you wasting skittles?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

I pretty much enjoy all the skiing and snowboarding events. Though apparently they messed up the slope-style course and everyone was getting hurt in practice. The jumps were like 15 degrees off...

Oh, and curling

Curling is the sport of the Gods
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
If you think the summer olympics are more interesting than the winter olympics then you need to be taken out back and given the ol sochi stray dog treatment. The biathlon (skiing and shooting guns) easily trumps every summer sport except maybe the hammer toss. Then add in how every other winter sport is pretty much a more badass variation of a summer sport and you get a better overall event.

But yeah they do this every time with the "omg they're not ready" bullshit. I'm sure there's a perfectly valid (construction related) reason for why that water is yellow. Throwing toilet paper in the garbage is a common thing in that part of the world. Those beds suck and I'm sure the russian team gets better beds but it's not going to help them as they're going to get smoked 7-3 again and go on about how we don't play the game properly or some russian bullshit like usual.
Last edited by CaptainRon at Feb 4, 2014,
Like Seth Meyers said to Mitt Romney,
"Do say you saved the Olympics...don't say you saved the Winter Olympics. The Summer Olympics are a sports spectacle...the Winter Olympics are 236 ways to slide."
A new twist on an old classic

Quote by behind_you

I laughed so ****ing hard at this

I can't wait for hockey...

GO CANADA!!!!!!!!!
Uncle aciD

&

The deadbeatS

Do What Your Love Tells You
Last edited by SFosterS at Feb 4, 2014,
Winter Olympics is better in every aspect than the summer ones. Biathalon, Bobsledding, Skeleton, Luge, Freestyle Skiing, Snowboarding....

But most of all

HOCKEY. The greatest sport to ever be played.

GO CANADA
jamaican bobsled team's equipment hasn't arrived in sochi yet

they can always practice in a bathtub again

maybe the summer olympics

Quote by bradulator
Olympics are boring

Possible terrorist attacks?
Potential gay rights issues?
Horrible living conditions for athletes and journalists?
Obvious corruption?
The most expensive games ever?
Electrical outlets that are connected to nothing?
Boring?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by lolmnt
Possible terrorist attacks?
Potential gay rights issues?
Horrible living conditions for athletes and journalists?
Obvious corruption?
The most expensive games ever?
Electrical outlets that are connected to nothing?
Boring?

Most of those are not the Olympics. That's just daily life in Russia.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58
Most of those are not the Olympics. That's just daily life in Russia.

Right on the head.

I'm surprised they aren't doing the biathlon with AK's. It would make it so much more fun to watch
hue