Hey guys, so my local band Muscle of Love just released our debut music video for our song Aggressive Love. Im the guitarist with the Red DBZ Venom II guitar. Probably the only heavy guy in a glam/shock metal band haha. Id love some crit on the song. Any crit will be appreciated!!! I personally love my lead fills/main solo, especially around the 1:15 mark.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39S35LhrFXQ

As always, I will C4C!

Thanks,
Jake P
Dude, I love Glam Metal. This is pretty sick. The think the vocals could be recorded much better though. The vocal melodies need spicing up too. You have quite a bit of skill there. Liking the lyrics. Nice 'thunky' bass sound to back up the punch from those guitars. Drums keep the song flowing smoothly. I like that you and the other guitarist switched off on solos. 1:15 was probably my favorite guitar fill throughout the entire track. It's a nice touch. The vocalist has the voice for this style of music, but I feel he's holding back on giving it his all. Lacking a little bit of emotion to back the lyrics. The song cut out at the end, which I did not expect. That was a bit too abrupt. I like the music.

Thanks for the crit, man!
Quote by Harlot Hero
Dude, I love Glam Metal. This is pretty sick. The think the vocals could be recorded much better though. The vocal melodies need spicing up too. You have quite a bit of skill there. Liking the lyrics. Nice 'thunky' bass sound to back up the punch from those guitars. Drums keep the song flowing smoothly. I like that you and the other guitarist switched off on solos. 1:15 was probably my favorite guitar fill throughout the entire track. It's a nice touch. The vocalist has the voice for this style of music, but I feel he's holding back on giving it his all. Lacking a little bit of emotion to back the lyrics. The song cut out at the end, which I did not expect. That was a bit too abrupt. I like the music.

Thanks for the crit, man!

Thanks man! I agree with everything u said! haha that 1:15 solo was mine! I recorded pretty much all of this in my home studio (Except the drums, that was done at our bassists recording space) and i live in an apt so the singer couldnt be too loud. Thanks for listening!
Oh wow this is great! The music is awesome, really digging this riffs. The quality is pretty good to me. I am actually liking the vocals, sometimes its hard for me to really get into someones vocals so easily and I think they just go well with the whole style you are going for. Pretty good playing and fills all around. I really liked it
Man, this is awesome! The leads and solos are spot-on and the song has a great flow and energy throughout. The vocal performance could use a little more energy, but stylistically it fits with the song perfectly. Good job overall, this is a fantastic song.
Commenting as I go.
I can't watch the video clip, because it's bloody terrible and it's embarrassing.

Mad drums. Sick guitar tone. Not keen on the vocalist, can't understand a word he's saying - am I supposed to? Sounds like an old granny.

I do like the guitar though, some great work here, the bass is coming through clearly on my system which is great.

If I'm to be completely honest with you, the vocalist is so bad, I'm really struggling not to turn it off. I'm loving the guitar, drums and the bass, but jesus christ. That vocalist. :/

Sick solo. Great guitar work towards the end.

Overall, I enjoyed it, but absolutely can not stand that vocalist. There is no redeeming feature. Bad tone, bad lyrics, bad everything as far as vocals go.

C4C - https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1632815
awesomo,
Someone get that guy a new t-shirt! That was quite 80's entertaining. The drummer looked/played extremely 80's. Did I ever tell you I played at Gazzarri's in Hollywood in 1984? A ton of famous bands have played there: Van Halen, Ratt, Motley Crue, Great White, Guns'n Roses (Slash met Axl Rose there), Poison, Dokken, Cinderella, Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, and many others. Big glam scene on the Sunset Strip in the 80's. Your video: in some ways the sound seems live, in other ways not. Nice riffs & lead guitars. Vocals remind me of Love & Rockets, but more of an edge. You've reviewed lots of my tunes through the ages, maybe you can find one you haven't heard before.
Quote by aaron aardvark
awesomo,
Someone get that guy a new t-shirt! That was quite 80's entertaining. The drummer looked/played extremely 80's. Did I ever tell you I played at Gazzarri's in Hollywood in 1984? A ton of famous bands have played there: Van Halen, Ratt, Motley Crue, Great White, Guns'n Roses (Slash met Axl Rose there), Poison, Dokken, Cinderella, Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, and many others. Big glam scene on the Sunset Strip in the 80's. Your video: in some ways the sound seems live, in other ways not. Nice riffs & lead guitars. Vocals remind me of Love & Rockets, but more of an edge. You've reviewed lots of my tunes through the ages, maybe you can find one you haven't heard before.

DUDE!!!! THATS SO AMAZING!!!!! What band were you in? One i would have heard of? and the sound in the video wasnt live, but for the recording we went for a live sound.
Not anyone famous. Best band I was ever in though. The band name was 'Crystal'. We played about 95% cover tunes, mostly new wave/alternative/rock tunes. I played synths 95% of the time. Occasionally did background vocals, played tambourine it at least one song. Spinal Tap moment: the first gig we ever did was at an indoor skate park: horrible acoustics there, especially with rollerskaters skating around. The owner advertised the show that we were "The Crystals", which is a pretty famous black gal group that started in 1960. Some of the people that showed up to the gig were disappointed we were not the famous group. Our female singer choked at times and forgot the lyrics (she was a very good singer during practices). The bass player choked and forgot some of his parts. The drummer started playing much faster than usual (at the end of the gig, he got so mad he kicked a hole in his bass drum!). Those 3 band members either quit or were asked to leave soon after. We got some other people and got better with time. We only played one or 2 (guitar oriented) metal songs, I sat those out. When we played Gazzarri's, we got payed ~$140 total, which got split 7 ways. Later on Gazzarri's became a "pay-to-play" (you'd be lucky if you broke even, because you'd have to buy a bunch of tickets to play there, and then had to sell them yourself!) venue because of its reputation. I heard someone from KLOS (one of the big rock radio stations in Los Angeles) saw us play there & liked us. After the show we were told we could play there again, but not long afterwards the band started to fizzle out. When I left the gig, my windows were fogged up and I nearly backed my 1970 Porsche 911T into Bill Gazzarri's pink & red Cadillac. That would have been embarassing!
Last edited by aaron aardvark at Feb 7, 2014,
I actually like it, the playing is good, drums are great, just the way it's recorded is kinda meh. If you aren't double tracking the guitars, do it. Just in your recording, have one guitarist be the dedicated rhythm guitarist, so the tone is consistent, and then record in your leads. During the solos, the rhythm guitar is becoming very fuzzy and kinda clipping the entire track. I'd run a low pass filter on them at 10,000 hz so you have the higher register for the solos and vocals and it eliminates some of the fuzz and background noise that you don't need.

The vocals, they need some balls to them, had a very deep mid range scoop on them, so they didn't' cut very well. Might be the mic he's using, but to compensate for that is to boost the mid and high range, and high pass it at 100-150 hz so it keeps it out of the low range register.

Overall, I like where you guys are going.

C4C? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=32332722#post32332722
already i'm liking the attitude. the rhythm guitars are just a little bit noisy to my ears, and everything sounds kinda chaotic, but it works. the first lead in the beginning is a little bland.

i kinda like the vocals, the somewhat restrained delivery makes it more menacing.

loved your 1:15 solo a lot. smooth lead tone too. impressive lead playing overall from both guitarists, though at times i wished the solos really let loose and shredded a little more.

it's a great song, and i loved it overall. really captures the right kind of spirit for this genre.

i think the video is a little out of sync though.

i just did another mixdown of my new song, can you check it out? thanks.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1632453
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by aaron aardvark
Not anyone famous. Best band I was ever in though. The band name was 'Crystal'. We played about 95% cover tunes, mostly new wave/alternative/rock tunes. I played synths 95% of the time. Occasionally did background vocals, played tambourine it at least one song. Spinal Tap moment: the first gig we ever did was at an indoor skate park: horrible acoustics there, especially with rollerskaters skating around. The owner advertised the show that we were "The Crystals", which is a pretty famous black gal group that started in 1960. Some of the people that showed up to the gig were disappointed we were not the famous group. Our female singer choked at times and forgot the lyrics (she was a very good singer during practices). The bass player choked and forgot some of his parts. The drummer started playing much faster than usual (at the end of the gig, he got so mad he kicked a hole in his bass drum!). Those 3 band members either quit or were asked to leave soon after. We got some other people and got better with time. We only played one or 2 (guitar oriented) metal songs, I sat those out. When we played Gazzarri's, we got payed ~$140 total, which got split 7 ways. Later on Gazzarri's became a "pay-to-play" (you'd be lucky if you broke even, because you'd have to buy a bunch of tickets to play there, and then had to sell them yourself!) venue because of its reputation. I heard someone from KLOS (one of the big rock radio stations in Los Angeles) saw us play there & liked us. After the show we were told we could play there again, but not long afterwards the band started to fizzle out. When I left the gig, my windows were fogged up and I nearly backed my 1970 Porsche 911T into Bill Gazzarri's pink & red Cadillac. That would have been embarassing!

ah man dude, that would have been embarassing! Ive had bands be4 that have gone through stuff that's super crazy. I mean, my first actual band ever had a show in a small bar in the middle of no where, and it was just a nightmare. The other guitarist in the band didnt even know how to play. We had gotten our singer the night be4, and he neglected to say, he totally WASNT A SINGER, he was a rapper. So add like 14 year old kids trying to play rock music, with a terrible rapper on top haha That show was so bad, our drummer didnt know how to keep time so he followed my guitar work, the other guitarist never even turned on his amp, just pretended to play, the bassist, i dont even KNOW what he did haha and me, of course being so young, i was super nervous. Didnt go well, lemme tell ya. Ive had so many bands since then, and, its difficult man! Muscle of love is the first steadily gigging one ive had (Outside of blues), but, we have some problems too. At least in this band, everyone can play their stuff though. The singer in this video is pretty new to our band, we kicked out our last one, he was way to unreliable.
And, that SUCKS that gazzaris became a pay to play place. Theres lots of that by me, those places are never worth it unless you can bring in a ton of people. Which, unless your a big name, isnt going to happen. So right now, MOL is just playing around the milwaukee bar scene, and a few of the other venues if we can hop on a bill.
Quote by ethan_hanus
I actually like it, the playing is good, drums are great, just the way it's recorded is kinda meh. If you aren't double tracking the guitars, do it. Just in your recording, have one guitarist be the dedicated rhythm guitarist, so the tone is consistent, and then record in your leads. During the solos, the rhythm guitar is becoming very fuzzy and kinda clipping the entire track. I'd run a low pass filter on them at 10,000 hz so you have the higher register for the solos and vocals and it eliminates some of the fuzz and background noise that you don't need.

The vocals, they need some balls to them, had a very deep mid range scoop on them, so they didn't' cut very well. Might be the mic he's using, but to compensate for that is to boost the mid and high range, and high pass it at 100-150 hz so it keeps it out of the low range register.

Overall, I like where you guys are going.

C4C? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=32332722#post32332722

Hey man, thanks a lot! The recording was pretty difficult, we did this over like a year. The drum tracks were recorded in the bassists house, and we did all the other tracks in my apt. I have a pretty decent recording setup, but everybody wanted something different. We did double track the guitars, but with two different tones, and to be honest with you, i did NO eq work at all. I have no clue how to use EQ to make it sound better. Whenever i eq something, it usually makes it worse.
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
already i'm liking the attitude. the rhythm guitars are just a little bit noisy to my ears, and everything sounds kinda chaotic, but it works. the first lead in the beginning is a little bland.

i kinda like the vocals, the somewhat restrained delivery makes it more menacing.

loved your 1:15 solo a lot. smooth lead tone too. impressive lead playing overall from both guitarists, though at times i wished the solos really let loose and shredded a little more.

it's a great song, and i loved it overall. really captures the right kind of spirit for this genre.

i think the video is a little out of sync though.

i just did another mixdown of my new song, can you check it out? thanks.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1632453

Thanks for the crit! I spent tons of time working on my 3 solos in this song. the 1:15 is my favorite too. I think my main one is pretty shreddy, but yeah, i would have loved to throw a few shreddier things in too. And the video is out of synch, we didnt record it playing the music live, we just played to the track blaring over our heads, did like 10 takes, and the drummer edited everything, so he didnt really know what the guitar should look like.
awesomo41894,
I think you'd find this interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3htD818C5_k

On a related note: Elton John (who is among those in the video) co-wrote a hit song (in the UK) with Tom Robinson. Tom Robinson was the first DJ to play a song of mine on the radio. There was only one gig that I really dressed up terribly glammy. I wore the bass player's wife's parachute pants and a very shiny red shirt my friend gave me that he got at a thrift shop. A friend of mine said I looked like a gay parachutist (I'm straight). It was a hoot because I normally dress quite average and fairly plain.
Last edited by aaron aardvark at Feb 8, 2014,
Very glam but somehow not too offensive. Definitely not a fan of vocals but they're not unbearable. Drums sound really good, nice and punchy. That lead line ~1:15 is awesome, killer tone for that bit too. Bass is punchy and audible which is nice to hear. Riffs are surprisingly thrashy for how glam the whole thing is. I got a kick out of how cheesy the video is, but it all sound pretty damn good. The guitars are a bit fizzy as others have said, and the vocals really need some attention, at least how they're recorded, the singing itself wasn't bad, fit in well with the overall sleaze.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.