Hi guys, I am really sorry if this has been asked before but I know all you guys get around the internet a lot and keep well up to date with things so I thought it best to ask. I don't need detailed answers so no need to elaborate on your answers too much, just point me in the right direction if you can please.

Basically all I'm looking for is one or two really good guitar tab sites that I can visit, by good I mean accurate transcriptions. Obviously I can do a internet search engine look and get a lot of results but that doesn't mean I'm necessarily getting the really good ones and I could end up persevering with a site for many hours before eventually realising that maybe I'm not in the best place and then having to start all over again. basically I want to get to the good ones that I can stick with. I would also be interested in subscription sites as well as free ones, I really wouldn't mind paying a subscription if the results are worthwhile. So if you know of a good free and paying site I would love to know please.

I would also be really interested in a good series of tab books - I find it easier sometimes to sit with a book and be able to flick back and forth between pages than sometimes sitting looking at a screen. If anyone knows of a really good series of books or music publisher that does really good tab books that would be so helpful.

I do apologise if these are basic questions but when I first started playing there was no internet so you just made do with books and learning off your mates and swapping ideas, and of course guitar mags. It's obviously a lot better with the internet and it makes things a lot easier but I do find it hard sometimes to find what I'm looking for, the sheer volume of information available at your finger tips means I'm feeling a little swamped at times and it makes it difficult to sift through it all at times and get to exactly what you are looking for. I am coming back to guitar after a long period away and any help I can get is a major bonus. I like all styles of music but particularly blues and classic rock if that helps any.
Many thanks guys, I really hope one or two of you has some suggestions, like I said just pointing in the right direction will do thanks.
As for a good site... you're on it. I haven't looked at another tab site in 7 or 8 years.

As for tab books, there's typically only going to be one published book for any given album you want to learn from, so there's no sense hunting down a good publisher.
Oddly enough you posted this question on the exact site you're looking for. I'd install Power Tab or Tux Guitar, download the files for the songs you want to play on this site, and go to town. If you want a physical tab book, Ultimate Guitar sells those too.
Oh dear - feeling a tad stupid, I didn't realise. I knew there was a tab page on this site obviously (because I'm on it now - I'm not quite that stupid but obviously getting close) but I thought the tab page was just for when people wanted to ask for help with maybe doing their own tabs. OK really sorry but I will have to ask just one more question that may make me look a bit daft but hey at least I'm probably giving people a laugh, but what is Power Tab or Tux Guitar please? I haven't heard of these before, what is it they do exactly? Thanks for bearing with me guys.
Quote by richards-keith
Oh dear - feeling a tad stupid, I didn't realise. I knew there was a tab page on this site obviously (because I'm on it now - I'm not quite that stupid but obviously getting close) but I thought the tab page was just for when people wanted to ask for help with maybe doing their own tabs. OK really sorry but I will have to ask just one more question that may make me look a bit daft but hey at least I'm probably giving people a laugh, but what is Power Tab or Tux Guitar please? I haven't heard of these before, what is it they do exactly? Thanks for bearing with me guys.

You didn't realize because you're in the forum. Go to the homepage, simply ultimate-guitar.com, and there's a search bar for tabs.

Guitar Pro (the best of these options, but costs money unless you know where to look...), Tux Guitar (a free program that can use Guitar Pro files), and Power Tab (A lame ripoff pay service for this site where they turn the Guitar Pro files users have made into they're own thing) are programs where the music is notated in tab and you can play along to it. It's the best way to learn songs, and an invaluable tool for me as a writer. Just give Guitar Pro a quick Youtube search to get a better idea of it.

EDIT: If you do consider getting Guitar Pro, get Guitar Pro 5, not 6. Guitar Pro 6 is garbage. Most of the people on this site will tell you the same.
Last edited by Macabre_Turtle at Feb 5, 2014,
For sites with digital pay tabs, you're looking at MySongBook, which is part of Arobas Music/GuitarPro. The tabs on there are made by professional transcribers, which sounds nice on paper but there are issues with that. A pro transcriber is given a song/album to tab and a deadline for finishing it. He may not like the song/genre at all, generally doesn't have time to go over in-depth details. When a song is done, that's it - on to the next - no maintenance. And this impacts tab quality.
Tabs on UG are made by amateurs - resulting in varying quality - but it's generally made by real fans of the music who care about getting it right and because it's a hobby - they can spend how much time they like and update it later if something is off. This is why you'll usually find really good tabs on this site. When looking for songs to learn, go through all versions regardless of rating or number of views.

Shortly put - UG is the best tab site - get Guitar Pro, Tux Guitar or Powertab and get used to using them (you can print them out if you like paper) - tab books are obsolete and free tabs are often the best.
All noteworthy tab sites have user submitted tabs, meaning accuracy is never guaranteed (even 5 star rated tabs). As an alternative to UG, there's gprotab.net

Actually, come to think of it, even "professional" tabs aren't always accurate.
The more you say 'epic' the less it means.