Hey thanks for reviewing my song!

I'm not super impressed with the guitar but I don't think that what you were aiming for. What I am impressed by though is your voice and your lyrics at least in the first song. I think the echoes towards the end did of muttle the strength of your vocals but it works I guess. I like your solos too but they are a little bit quiet.

2nd song sounds very alternative. I'm rlly liking the harmonics you have in the background. I don't think u suck at guitar like ur description says if ur songwriting is as diverse as it is. I'm actually rlly liking this second song a lot. Again, rlly good lyrics and their sung well.

3rd song: great riff already and the sound quality is good. I like the grungy riff you have going on. Reminds me of Nirvana. The effect for the solo could have been clearer but no complaints really.

4th song: Again, you're a really good singer. That solo....damn. Catchy as all hell. You killed this EP dude. Really nice job overall.
Cheers mate! Didn't expect anyone to sit through all 4! Thanks.

Guitar work isn't what I was going for at all - I'm hopeless with solos, all I can do is basically write a song, play chords, and sing. Can not solo for my life.

That said, I'm pretty stoked you actually liked my guitar work.

Thanks a tonne.
I liked your guitarwork, how long have you been playing for? I would probably ditch the layered vocals cos they kinda dont suit it in certain parts though,but other than that your voice sounds good.
Thanks for listening.

I've been playing guitar for about 8 years now, but I've never tried to learn lead, I only play chords.
Which song are you talking about where the layered vocals don't suit it?
King Turi,
Thank you for the review. Now your song #1: most of the time I'm more impressed with the vocals than the guitar. Most of the vocals are very good, though one part sounded kind of pitchy. At first the vocals reminded me of Bob Dylan, then later reminded me of Lyndsy Buckingham. On the guitar, somehow some of the strings sound a bit out of tune, and the playing could be smoother timing wise. The vocals towards the end get rather busy with a lot going on. Song #2: I'm more impressed with the guitar on this one, though timing could be smoother at times. The singing on this one is more consistent, though less dynamic than the first song. Song #3: Intro vocals reminding me of Buckingham again (good): overall best vocals yet. Chord progression sounds like "Smells Like Teen Spirit". Guitar playing best yet, though some of the string bends sound pitchy. Around 11:20 timing on guitar could be smoother: you tend to get a swing to the beat at times. Song #4: sounds fine, similar comments as the other tunes. Overall, I like some of the guitar playing, other times it sounds like it needs a little more practice. I'm not convinced your guitar is always in tune. Keep at it, you're a better singer than most.
Cheers for the crit.

I tuned the guitar before each song >_<. I do play a full step down, then with a capo sometimes though, so maybe my intonation isn't the best.

Sounded alright to me at the time. :/
I like your tracks man, great moody melodies.
Great quality recordings.
Your voice fits the music perfectly. Very 90's sounding.
Mind sharing your equipment? Check my profile and critique!
Hey, cheers for the crit pcp gorilla.

My equipment is my guitar (a Tanglewood Dreadnought thing), being plugged into an M-Audio fast track. Microphone is an SM-58 being plugged into the same thing, and that's it.
I record everything in Reaper.

I checked out your song Shadows, here's what I thought:

Nice slow, creepy guitar for most of the song, this is nice. The chorus guitars and drums are great too, nice and powerful.
The vocals however have some sort of filter or something on them that makes them about 100% treble, with no mids or bass or anything besides total treble, I don't like that a whole lot. Some of the rhymes seem forced (the second verse in particular).
I think the vocals should be more aggressive to suit the chorus too, I was expecting almost a screamo-ey chorus for some reason..
Cool effect just after the second chorus.
Overall, I enjoyed it, but the vocals need some work, and the chorus needs to pack the punch that is implied by the powerful guitar/drums.
The drums sound real too, so if you've used a machine or something, can you tell me which one? Haha. :/
1st song was cool, as the other guy said, great lyrics, great singing. i liked the chorus/round part near the end, that was a nice surprise. the mix sounds a bit off, the lower harmonies were too loud and the guitar could be louder/better quality. the bridge and outro need work but otherwise this a great song.

right off the bat the harmonics in the second song sound off, try bringing them down in the mix for starters. its a good counterpoint to the first song, really contrasts your first song and builds really well. i like your voice, you're kinda edging on a folk-punk aesthetic which really brings a lot of emotion to the tracks. the solo parts need work though, they are too prominent in the mix.

third song is kinda weird. to my ear you're playing one key and singing another for the intro. i felt like the song could have gone a lot of places from the there but i guess grunge works. you might try boosting the gain on the leads, even running it through a distortion pedal if you're adventurous.

the fourth song is cool, kinda reminds me of kryptonite by 3 doors down. the contrast between the verse and chorus was interesting, very effective. i really liked the second chord of the progression, it really makes the song unique, added a whole new dynamic to the song. the solo shreds, the outro is cool. great song.

overall a solid effort. aside from the intro to uncharted, the vox are stellar. the guitar is probably your weaker side, you could probably benefit from a bit more practice. interesting songs, first one is very poppy but the others are fairly dark. you're really good at taking conventional song-types and twisting them in a way which is surprising and refreshing, always listen to that instinct that tells you to take the song in an interesting way, it's what makes the difference between a good song and a great one.

thanks for sharing.
Thanks for the honest crit!

I really wish I had a better guitar to be honest with you, I know the intonation is shot, and I play a few of those songs with a capo on, makes it hard.
Not to mention the guitar naturally doesn't have a very powerful sound, wish it did. I could probably just play with a harder pick though, would make a difference no doubt.

Now that you've mentioned it, the fourth song does sound a bit like Kryptonite, wasn't trying to rip it off though - I don't even like that bloody song - but I can definitely hear what you mean now. The first couple of words in the chorus are a similar melody, and the chord progression throughout is similar too I think. Damn.

I'll work on the mixes, and re-upload them for when I show people in the future - I mixed it with headphones on, and they aren't the greatest headphones out - I can hear what you mean about the mixing when I play it at a decent volume through my speakers though.

Guitar has always been my weak point, I pretty much give up at guitar. I just admit I can't play it and just strum chords and sing. :/
Ill crit all ur songs.
1. Opening acoustic work is nice. Dont like the echo on your voice at all, but ur voice is good. Very pop like. Love your lyrics. Without the echo, this would be great, or even if you turned the vocals down a bit. Your guitar work throughout is perfect for the song, ur a pretty good player dude!
2. I like the slow intro guitar. Maybe violin over it would be cool? Now, for this song, i think ur vocals are much too quiet. But again, im loving the sound of your voice, the lyrics, and the song structure. Good song.
3. This is a lot different than the other two. Digging the guitar work, for the third song in a row! You finally have your vocals mixed really well in this! I just feel like your vocals on this, fit with the guitar part. Especially your fast singing in the beginning. Past that, it does work. Now that ive heard the whole song though, the fast singing does WORK, but its not my thing. Still, not bad.
4. The intro to this feels the most raw to me. Definitely not bad. Love the driving guitar work. Your vocals are way too quiet in this again. You sound kinda like the guy that song on ghost riders in the sky on this song. Very awesome, this is probably my favorite off your whole ep.

Final thoughts: Dude, keep it up! If this was mixed better, this would be absolutely amazing! I would buy something like this if the mix was better, i could even hear it on the radio. Good stuff!
Quote by King Turi
Now that you've mentioned it, the fourth song does sound a bit like Kryptonite, wasn't trying to rip it off though - I don't even like that bloody song - but I can definitely hear what you mean now. The first couple of words in the chorus are a similar melody, and the chord progression throughout is similar too I think. Damn.

The chorus totally saves it man.
awesomo41894 - Cheers for the crit.

I kinda like the reverb, but yeah I know the vocals need to be turned down on that first song, especially on the chorus. It comes in just slightly too loud.
I'll dick about with the mixes over the next week or so, and see if I can get them sounding a little more even across the board.
I'd love to turn them into like "full band" songs, but I don't have any drums.
I think they'd all benefit from a bass line, some electric, and a beat.

Never been told I sound like the Riders In The Sky guy. Not sure how to take that one :P
Quote by King Turi
awesomo41894 - Cheers for the crit.

I kinda like the reverb, but yeah I know the vocals need to be turned down on that first song, especially on the chorus. It comes in just slightly too loud.
I'll dick about with the mixes over the next week or so, and see if I can get them sounding a little more even across the board.
I'd love to turn them into like "full band" songs, but I don't have any drums.
I think they'd all benefit from a bass line, some electric, and a beat.

Never been told I sound like the Riders In The Sky guy. Not sure how to take that one :P

haha it was meant as a compliment, just the first thing to pop in my mind when i heard it haha My mind is very weird when it comes to music haha
Very nice vocal work there my friend. Love the passion, the vulnerability, very nice touch there. Although I heard a little pitchiness around 2:00, but then you rescued the whole thing with some really kick ass heart pouring sounding vocals. Damn dude, you got that going big time.

The guitar is simple, sure, but it works for what you're doing. The full band would make it stale and boring - it's the minimal thing that plays to your strength, in my humbled opinion - I'm just another listener ya know.

On the second song..more pitchy harmonies in the beginning..obviously your strength is your upper/mid register - you get good vibrato in your voice and that's the money right there. An actual acoustic guitar sound would work better on this one I think.

On the third song...nice beginning, I'm into it...not sure if that's pitchy or not, but that faster singing harmonized part is not hitting like it's potential suggests..something on top isn't quite nailing it...listen to it at 10:30, that's more right on there...but damn you got that vibrato vocal thing in the upper register sounding real sweet. You are on a lot - I wonder..did you rush through the vocals, maybe do them in one track? Headphones can trick you into missing your vocals misses - I hate that, it happens to me all the time.

The fourth song...your harmonies are on here, no pitchy stuff to my ears and you have established your signature for sure by now. Nice guitar playing here, love that solo part.

Man, you have an extremely passionate vocal sound and you pick good notes to hang on, melodically pleasing and you sound great doing it. I know I haven't mentioned too much on the guitar playing, but it was solid. You are doing well man. Can't help thinking we are going to hear more and more from you and it will just get better and better.

C4C? I don't have any acoustic stuff yet, but it's coming...
The Phobium: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1594397&highlight=voda+la+void
Cheers for the crit.
I do all my tracks on 1 shot, guitar, vox, whatever, always 1 shot.

I should stop doing that if I want the songs to sound "better" but a little part of me is feels like it gives everything a more real/live sound (Until I slam a reverb on everything).

All those songs are played on a real acoustic, including the second one, probably doesn't sound real because I put a reverb on it. I recorded these in a room with about 0 acoustic and everything sounded *completely* dry originally.
Thanks for taking the time listening to my band's song.

Here are my thoughts of your creations:

I dig your vocals, especially when you open it up a little. A slight Ed Sheeran vibe there too at times which isn't a bad thing at all. Some of the harmonies are great! The guitar playing leaves room for improvement, it's a tad sloppy at times and out of tune (most notably in the first song) but some good ideas in there nevertheless!

Keep up the good work!
Last edited by tnlsl at Feb 10, 2014,
"November":
The vocal volume is all over the place, but you've got yourself an excellent voice. Very powerful, but you know how to use it well. Very catchy chorus vocal melody. Liking the vocal layers in the hook too. Good work. The guitar could be much more solid as it's loose and noticeable, but I feel this track is very vocal-driven. Loving this. The reverb would be better used in a bit of a different way. It sounds good as is, but could have better execution. The solo, to me, should be mixed a bit differently than the rhythm guitar to set itself apart from sounding to similar to said rhythm so it can stand out more. Left a comment.

"All I Know How To Do":
Very nice song. And again, extremely vocal-driven. Not a bad thing. I wish I could write vocal melodies this well. I like your high notes a lot. Well sung. The acoustic solo sounds too loose to me and could have much more going on. As is, it suits the track well and provides a nice mellow atmosphere. You've got a good vocal hook. Good song.

"Uncharted":
That vocal melody is so catchy. You write some cool hooks, dude. The guitar playing is alright and compliments the vocal-work well, but doesn't come close to the vocals. The rhythm guitar would sound a lot better with some stereo-panning for a larger effect and to add more of a warmer sound to the song. Left a comment

"I Was Cold":
The verse reminds me a bit of some Coheed & Cambria which is a huge plus for me. The lead acoustic is awesome. Lots of feeling there. And like the others, your vocal-hooks get to me yet again.

Definitely following you.

C4C? Would be much appreciated.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1631744
tnsl and Harlot Hero, thanks for the crits, and thanks for listening.

Harlot, I've just got back from a 15 hour round trip, just popped on to see if anyone checked my shit out haha - I'll definitely check yours out within 24 hours.
Completely smashed at the moment. Way too tired to have a comment worth listening to.

Thanks again, your comments are great and accurate, my guitar work definitely needs work as does my overall mixing skills.
I initially liked the harmonics in the second song but they quickly started to feel out of place or too high in the mix or something. Once the vocals really kick in a minute or so in though it's completely awesome. I'm not usually a fan of vocally driven music but this was really cool. The deeper more hushed singing under the more forceful, powerful vocals is really nice. The guitar work wasn't incredibly interesting but the singing is so good it doesn't bother me. The acoustic feels a bit bright, wish it was a little warmer but that's more of a personal preference.

Vocals sound a bit out of sync on track three about a minute in, but it might just be all the reverb tricking my ears, that riff that kicks in right afterwards is killer though. Still wish the guitar was a bit fatter and warmer. The lead lines towards the end are real nice though.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.