Hello everyone! I'm trying to decide between a SH 5 and SH 14 for epi-SG 400. I play Hard rock, Stoner rock, Grunge mainly, even Classic rock, Punk... Which pickup would do better? If you have other suggestions feel free to tell me

Also, I know i need a new amp, I'll buy one soon!
Epiphone SG-400
- Bridge: Seymour duncan Custom 8 (Alnico 8 mag)
- Neck: Humbucker powered by lace
Fender Squier Stratocaster
BOSS MT-2
BOSS DS-1
BOSS DD-7
EHX Big Muff Pi
Crybaby wah 535Q
EHX Small Stone
Laney 15W extreme
For stoner rock maybe get a Dimarzio Super Distortion, or a Lace Drop n Gain if you can squeeze out a few more bucks.
EGC Baritone | ESP M-I | Gibson LP Jr
BC Rich USA ST3 | Fender Telecaster
VHT/Fryette GP3 | Verellen Meatsmoke pre | Mesa 2:90
Soldano HR50+ | Marshall 2203KK | Krank RevJr 50 | Holden 50
Orange PPC412 | Laney GS412 | Mesa Thiele 112 | Alron 115
Quote by IronFox
Hello everyone! I'm trying to decide between a SH 5 and SH 14 for epi-SG 400. I play Hard rock, Stoner rock, Grunge mainly, even Classic rock, Punk... Which pickup would do better? If you have other suggestions feel free to tell me

Also, I know i need a new amp, I'll buy one soon!

could you pick up a few tones you really would like to have? specific recordings?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
The SH-14 should be fatter. They're pretty similar though. Same exact pickup with different magnets. If you want to experiment, get any one of them. Putting a Ceramic magnet in a Custom makes it a Custom, an AlNiCo V magnet makes it a Custom 5, an AlNiCo II magnet makes it a Custom Custom, and you can also put in an AlNiCo VIII magnet in it, which makes the very popular but not officially sold Custom VIII.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
i had an epiphone g-310 and was playing the same kind of music you listed. I put a Gibson dirty fingers in the bridge and it was incredible. I later removed the dirty fingers to put into a "better" guitar and replaced the bridge in teh SG with an SH-5. The SH-5 didn't compare IMO. My amp was a Marshall DSL 50 for reference.

I'd definitely recommend atleast looking into the Gibson Dirty Fingers before you buy one of the others.
Quote by Offworld92
The SH-14 should be fatter.

Will it? I haven't tried them head to head (and it's ages since I've tried the normal custom), but the custom 5 is actually pretty scooped. That's one thing I'm not so fussed with- while too many pickups are honky to a fault, and initially I found the more transparent tone of the custom 5 refreshing, I've pretty much come to the conclusion that it's too far to the other extreme
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by IronFox
Examples of tones I like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CggSqpdi1s#t=30s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG6F1m1Gi4k#t=1s (the rythm guitar on the first track)

I'd be looking at something more like the Seymour Duncan JB.

Quote by Dave_Mc
Will it? I haven't tried them head to head (and it's ages since I've tried the normal custom), but the custom 5 is actually pretty scooped. That's one thing I'm not so fussed with- while too many pickups are honky to a fault, and initially I found the more transparent tone of the custom 5 refreshing, I've pretty much come to the conclusion that it's too far to the other extreme

I dunno. Maybe fatter in the bass then? Flubbier, yeah?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Feb 5, 2014,
as i said, it's ages since i've tried it but yeah i'd expect the alnico V one to be not as tight. but maybe more scooped in the mids, too. it's not super tight on the bass, at least, sounds more "organic", for want of a better word, than ceramic normally does.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I use a SH-4 in my G-400 and it covers everything you want to do.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
To be more specific, I prefer Bass/Mid than Treble. I don't want my guitar to sound screechy.
Epiphone SG-400
BOSS MT-2
BOSS DS-1
BOSS DD-7
EHX Big Muff Pi
Crybaby wah 535Q
EHX Small Stone
Laney 15W extreme
Quote by IronFox
To be more specific, I prefer Bass/Mid than Treble. I don't want my guitar to sound screechy.

that is the sh-4
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
that is the sh-4

Hey thanks! Just one more question, will it get too muddy if I play in Standard C? For when I play stoner
Epiphone SG-400
BOSS MT-2
BOSS DS-1
BOSS DD-7
EHX Big Muff Pi
Crybaby wah 535Q
EHX Small Stone
Laney 15W extreme
Quote by IronFox
Hey thanks! Just one more question, will it get too muddy if I play in Standard C? For when I play stoner

Yeah it should. The SH-4 is very midrange in its EQ. I play a lot of grunge/stoner and other styles with mine and it handles it just fine. I tune to Drop C sometimes if that helps
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I have an SH5 in my Godin and it does high gain tones very well. It'd say it's pretty balanced in mids and bass but it is a little harsh unless you roll down the tone knob a little.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Godin Velocity
Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt
AMT WH1 Japanese Girl Wah
Marshall BB-2 Boost/OD
Joyo JF-07 Classic Flanger
Joyo JF-37 Analog Chorus
+1^
Its great for downtuned stuff, much better than the JB. The JB to me sounds harsh on its own but in a band mix it sits perfectly well. Its got a spike in the high mids making it an excellent pickup for solos. It can also be too bright in some guitars, so 250k pots are recommended with it. A JB with an A2 mag is great for downtuned rhythm work.

The SH14 lacks midrange but its bass isn't flubby & its got a lot of bite(presence).
The SH11 doesnt have a lot of bass but its got full mids in both low & high frequencies while the highs(treble) are rounded. Its a very warm sounding pickup unlike the other custom variants.