Page 1 of 5
I'm actually watching it now Just got past both their opening statements, so now the fun part starts.
Bill Nye is desperate for money is what I think.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
I don't think he is desperate for money I think he is irritated people like this exist and wants to inspire young people to become scientists to help further the world.
I don't know who either of them are so Bill Nighy gets my vote
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
controversial statement: bill nye is stupid. creationists are more stupid.
Quote by Telecaster7
Oh dear, current affairs...
Here's my take on it...

Who really gives a shit?

If the evolutionists are right there is no God and everything exists in a randomly formed universe that has no structure but has a consistent set of laws and operating principles.

If the creationists are right, there is a God and everything exists in a deliberately formed universe that has a strict structure and a consistent set of laws and operating principles.

The end result from either one is the internet, which as the pinnacle of human achievement leaves much to be desired.

So either way, what you have is both sides emotionally masturbating into a theological cup and trying to make everyone else drink it.

Ultimately, who gives a shit?
Quote by seabear70
If the evolutionists are right there is no God

Yup, since everybody knows the two are 100% mutually exclusive after all.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I now know who this Ham guy is so I guess it worked.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by seabear70

So either way, what you have is both sides emotionally masturbating into a theological cup and trying to make everyone else drink it.

incredible
Quote by seabear70
Here's my take on it...

Who really gives a shit?

If the evolutionists are right there is no God and everything exists in a randomly formed universe that has no structure but has a consistent set of laws and operating principles.

If the creationists are right, there is a God and everything exists in a deliberately formed universe that has a strict structure and a consistent set of laws and operating principles.

The end result from either one is the internet, which as the pinnacle of human achievement leaves much to be desired.

amen, brother
Quote by Telecaster7
Quote by theogonia777
Yup, since everybody knows the two are 100% mutually exclusive after all.

They're not, that's the point you missed.
Quote by seabear70
Here's my take on it...

Who really gives a shit?

People?
Quote by seabear70
They're not, that's the point you missed.

I don't see how that could have possibly been the point in what you said.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
I don't see how that could have possibly been the point in what you said.

I think his point was:

I don't understand evolution

I don't understand creationism

The internet is cool

Who gives a shit?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by lolmnt
I think his point was:

I don't understand evolution

I don't understand creationism

The internet is cool

Who gives a shit?

I can see how that could have probably been the point in what he said.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
I don't think he is desperate for money I think he is irritated people like this exist and wants to inspire young people to become scientists to help further the world.

I do believe that is exactly what Bill is trying to get out there.

On a side note, I like how Bill got asked the two extremely difficult questions and got criticized for each. "Where did the initial atoms from the big bang come from?" and "How did we get consciousness?" We have an idea where atoms came from, a few good models and hypothesis, but consciousness is still a relative mystery. I am sorry if Bill doesn't know EVERYTHING about science. Life is so much easier if your answer is always "God" for everything.
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

If you have a computer related question, ask here!

Official Mayor of the Computer Thread
Quote by theogonia777
I can see how that could have probably been the point in what he said.

I'll bet you can.
Quote by seabear70

I personally prefer the taste of Bill Nye's mental ejaculate in this situation.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Quote by sjones
I personally prefer the taste of Bill Nye's mental ejaculate in this situation.

Ahh, but here's the question, do you understand it or are you just arguing to win?

Most people who talk about science use the word. "Science" like it's a trump card and cant actually explain basic physical processes. the concepts of the origin of existence is completely beyond them, and when cornered, they treat their ignorance like a virtue.

Just as you and / or several other people are about to do.
Quote by seabear70
the concepts of the origin of existence is completely beyond them,

I wouldn't say completely.. there's been a bunch of theories on the whole issue but I'm with ed witten on this, you'd probably have to invent a whole "new kind" of mathematics to explain it

however the whole atheism vs theism debate is basically idiots arguing idiots as far as I'm concerned
Quote by Telecaster7
I think the point is neither opinion is cut 100% to each side. If you believe in science and evolution it doesn't mean that you are an atheist and don't belive in God. It just means that you think God created it all in a different way. Why can't evolution be the work of God?
Quote by CrazyMatt
I wouldn't say completely.. there's been a bunch of theories on the whole issue but I'm with ed witten on this, you'd probably have to invent a whole "new kind" of mathematics to explain it

however the whole atheism vs theism debate is basically idiots arguing idiots as far as I'm concerned
Well, I'm glad someone with superior intellect has decided this issue for the rest of us. I know I couldn't understand those "new kind of mathematics" and am an idiot for wanting to know how species originate. Thanks for your help, dick-snot.
Quote by Rickholly74
I think the point is neither opinion is cut 100% to each side. If you believe in science and evolution it doesn't mean that you are an atheist and don't belive in God. It just means that you think God created it all in a different way. Why can't evolution be the work of God?

Because ol' Seabear Frisby decided that it could only be one or the other.
Looks like the whole video's on youtube. I'll have to check it out. Evolution used to be my hot-button topic when I was studying biology in college. Interest piqued.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I don't believe in Hitler
I don't believe in Jesus
I don't believe in Kennedy
I don't believe in Buddha
I don't believe in Mantra
I don't believe in Gita
I don't believe in Yoga
I don't believe in kings
I don't believe in Elvis
I don't believe in Zimmerman
I don't believe in Beatles
I just believe in me

John Lennon
Quote by seabear70
Ahh, but here's the question, do you understand it or are you just arguing to win?

Most people who talk about science use the word. "Science" like it's a trump card and cant actually explain basic physical processes. the concepts of the origin of existence is completely beyond them, and when cornered, they treat their ignorance like a virtue.

Just as you and / or several other people are about to do.

500 years ago some guy looked into the sky made some observations and concluded that the earth circles the sun. Religion tried to shut this out because it was against the bible, it failed. 300 years ago the most basic laws of physics were laid out and explained mathematically for the first time. This also supported the hypothesis that the earth circled the sun.

450BC some guy coined the term atom as the smallest thing that makes everything up. Mid 1700's it was becoming accepted that everything was made up of atoms, the smallest building blocks of everything. Circa 1900 it was shown that this statement was false and atoms were made up of things even smaller. Shortly after even more predictions of smaller particles were made. In the past 20 years many of these particles have been observed and confirmed to exist.

A scientist back in the early 1900's decided to say he felt sorry for every other scientist who came after him because everything had already been discovered. Then a bunch of guys dropped quantium mechanics on his ass and said haha just kidding we don't know crap about the universe.

The entire time science has been progressing. Science continues to make observations on just how this universe works and how it showed up in the first place. We don't have an answer now. We might not have an answer for another few thousand years, maybe millions, maybe never, who knows.

Science spends its time changing and correcting itself to explain the nature of things. That is the beauty of it. Our 'ignorance' of how existence comes about is something we do cherish, because we are constantly trying to figure out the next piece of the puzzle to get to that final answer.

Science is a trump card. Sometimes it just takes its time to trump whatever is being talked about. I mean, we still have to figure things out ya know. We can't just open a book and say "Oh look, God said so so that is the answer."

Science said so too, and here are the supporting details, peer review, counter argument with supporting details, revised hypothesis, modified conclusion, and finally a theory that was six thousand papers, thirty thousand peer reviews, and countless revisions in the making.

Your turn.
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

If you have a computer related question, ask here!

Official Mayor of the Computer Thread
Last edited by DamienEx1021 at Feb 5, 2014,
Quote by DamienEx1021

Your turn.

I'm in no way against you.

But a few of the things you've listed are either slight misconceptions or erroneous dates.

srs tho, not trying to rustle any jimmies.

your last two paragraphs are basically where I stand.
ayy lmao
Last edited by chookiecookie at Feb 5, 2014,
The poulation of the earth is just over 7 billion now. 2.1 billion people list themselves as Christians. The leaves 4.9 billion who don't believe in the bible.
Quote by seanlang01
Well, I'm glad someone with superior intellect has decided this issue for the rest of us. I know I couldn't understand those "new kind of mathematics" and am an idiot for wanting to know how species originate. Thanks for your help, dick-snot.

it's not my idea you twat..

and I'm not talking about evolution but the concept of existence
Quote by Telecaster7
Last edited by CrazyMatt at Feb 5, 2014,
Quote by DamienEx1021
I mean, we still have to figure things out ya know. We can't just open a book and say "Oh look, God said so so that is the answer."

In regards to your whole post...
That's the anchor of the Bible, and every other religion with a religious text. Religious people choose to be religious because they need an anchor in their life. They need something they can hold onto as truth. I have my own religious beliefs, and they are the anchor in my life that I know will never change.

Just like Ken Ham said during the debate, nothing will ever prove that my anchor isn't true. However, science is proved wrong every day. There is nothing wrong with science being proved wrong - it exists to be tested and proven wrong until the truth can be found.
Quote by Rickholly74
The poulation of the earth is just over 7 billion now. 2.1 billion people list themselves as Christians. The leaves 4.9 billion who don't believe in the bible.

are you serious?

You do know Christianity is no where near the only religion out there, nor the oldest?

Not only that, to not believe in a bible, or any god, does not mean you do not have faith.
ayy lmao
Quote by LeadFred

Just like Ken Ham said during the debate, nothing will ever prove that my anchor isn't true. However, science is proved wrong every day. There is nothing wrong with science being proved wrong - it exists to be tested and proven wrong until the truth can be found.

To say nothing will ever prove or disprove your beliefs to be right or wrong is not something you know for certain

to also say science is proven wrong everyday is, for lack of a better word, crude. Science is a tentative subject and it changes as new data emerges and we learn more about the ever changing world around us.

That doesn't mean it's wrong.
ayy lmao
Last edited by chookiecookie at Feb 5, 2014,
Page 1 of 5