I have been learning major and minor arpeggios over the fret board just wondering how i can improve and using it in rock solos , I don't really want to learn 7ths maj 7ths until i can use what i have learned . I Just wondering how other people progress? there is so much you could learn but sometimes you need to stop learning and use what you already know ?
Last edited by dazzzer30 at Feb 5, 2014,
I'm also a little bit unsure about arpeggios. People talk about learning arpeggios, do they mean learning chords but playing them as arpeggios? Ie playing the notes separately?
Quote by dazzzer30
I have been learning major and minor arpeggios over the fret board just wondering how i can improve and using it in rock solos , I don't really want to learn 7ths maj 7ths until i can use what i have learned . I Just wondering how other people progress? there is so much you could learn but sometimes you need to stop learning and use what you already know ?

So there are two things I have to say to this:

1 - Why did you learn arpeggios to begin with?
2 - The easiest way to learn about how arpeggios are used is to start looking for them in other people's solos.

Quote by lodgi
I'm also a little bit unsure about arpeggios. People talk about learning arpeggios, do they mean learning chords but playing them as arpeggios? Ie playing the notes separately?

Arpeggios are the notes of a chord played separately but generally when people talk about learning arpeggios they mean learning them in ways that are more conducive to single note playing rather than chordally.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
So there are two things I have to say to this:

1 - Why did you learn arpeggios to begin with?
2 - The easiest way to learn about how arpeggios are used is to start looking for them in other people's solos.

Arpeggios are the notes of a chord played separately but generally when people talk about learning arpeggios they mean learning them in ways that are more conducive to single note playing rather than chordally.

I want to learn to play lead guitar that's why i learned the pentatonic scales sometimes i improvise using the pentatonic scale , i guess i started to learn arpeggios in hope it would make my solos sound some what interesting i had read on a thread that it would help, but like i said there's learning something and actually knowing how to use it are two different things
You just use them when the appropriate chord comes around - Play Cmaj arpeggio over Cmaj chord, Dm arpeggio over Dm chord, and so on. It's really the simplest way to make melodies over chord progressions.
Quote by dazzzer30
I want to learn to play lead guitar that's why i learned the pentatonic scales sometimes i improvise using the pentatonic scale , i guess i started to learn arpeggios in hope it would make my solos sound some what interesting i had read on a thread that it would help, but like i said there's learning something and actually knowing how to use it are two different things

Ok, well the issue here then is that you're looking to arpeggios as a solution to a problem that's a little harder to solve than that.

Just to completely clarify:

Arpeggios won't help you make music that sounds more interesting on their own. They're just a different way of looking at all the notes you already have access to.

Following on from that: there are no rules as to how to use arpeggios, they are just another tool. To make interesting music you need to spend more time thinking about what you're doing; listen to the backing, think about the music you want to make and then transfer it to the guitar.

That will be a slow process to begin with but the more you do it the easier and faster it gets.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.