Like the title says....how much of a difference is there between the rockerverb 50 and its predecessor? I know they've fixed the reverb issues but tonewise?
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy
The MK II sounds WAY better, IMO. The original used EL84s in the power section, which I'm not a fan of. The power section of the MK II is much beefier and it now sounds like the RV100, with less headroom. The original was fuzzy and thin IMO. Cool if you're looking for more classic sounds, but wasn't as good for modern stuff, like the RV100 - Not as versatile.

That being said - I liked the MKI RV100 better than the MKII, which sounds less aggressive and "big."
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I thought the mk1 RV50 used 6V6 tubes???
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Quote by sg4ever
I thought the mk1 RV50 used 6V6 tubes???

Did they? I swear the one I had used mini power tubes, hmm...

My mistake. Still hated them, though

To be fair, there's only a few EL84 and 6V6 amps I've ever liked. The EL34 power section in the MKII, along with whatever changes they made to the circuit, were a huge improvement IMO.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I'd have to agree with your assessment on improved tone. I was never fully blown away with the sound of the original Rockerverb 50, but I thought the MKII ones were very nice from trying one in the store and hearing one in concert. More punch and focus, still Orange-sounding.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Quote by sg4ever
I'd have to agree with your assessment on improved tone. I was never fully blown away with the sound of the original Rockerverb 50, but I thought the MKII ones were very nice from trying one in the store and hearing one in concert. More punch and focus, still Orange-sounding.

Yep, the RV50 MKII is an amp I wouldn't mind owning. The MKI is an amp I wouldn't mind owning if it was super cheap

The RV100 MKI is still the best IMO. The MKII version seemed dialed down to me, when played side-by-side. Maybe they were just using different tubes, I dunno. The RV100 MKI I owned was beautimous.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I have an MK1, combo, and I understand the fizzyness.

The problem is in the gain, on 7 (not clock dial) is saturated 10 equivalent to most other amps.

Indeed if I turn gain on full, it's super fizzy, and the dynamics are gone.

Put gain on 4 however and crank the volume instead, and I even have more punch then a JCM2000 half stack. It's weird I couldn't hear myself, but when I turned down the gain, the whole sound became more present and cut through hard.

In fact .. I even find it too tight and choppy, and would prefer a bit more looseness. It's super defined.

Petrucci said it best in one video. Find the breakup and back it up a bit and with most amps there is far more punch, especially palm mutes sound as choppy as an axe.

That being said, the Mk2 might be better haven't tested it, can't seem to find one to play on.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Feb 5, 2014,
Quote by xxdarrenxx
I have an MK1, combo, and I understand the fizzyness.

The problem is in the gain, on 7 (not clock dial) is saturated 10 equivalent to most other amps.

Indeed if I turn gain on full, it's super fizzy, and the dynamics are gone.

Put gain on 4 however and crank the volume instead, and I even have more punch then a JCM2000 half stack. It's weird I couldn't hear myself, but when I turned down the gain, the whole sound became more present and cut through hard.

In fact .. I even find it too tight and choppy, and would prefer a bit more looseness. It's super defined.

Petrucci said it best in one video. Find the breakup and back it up a bit and with most amps there is far more punch, especially palm mutes sound as choppy as an axe.

That being said, the Mk2 might be better haven't tested it, can't seem to find one to play on.

The problem with this is, you have to have it pretty loud to get that tone. Not doable for everyone and not everyone likes power tube saturation, either.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Ahh well that's okay.

I have different aproachs with amps anyway.

I usually dial amps in to it's own sweet spot, and if that sweet spot ain'y the tone I want I get a different amp.

Fiddling too much with an amp or trying to get too much of a different tone to me degrades the overall sound quality. The sound should be their that you want on good volume and neutral eq, and shaped only to the room.

Offcourse I disregard amps in this that are designed to tweak hehe

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Thanks guys, a mkl showed up in the "for sales" and I got to thinking....but I really need the effects loop and even if it was cheaper....it wasn't that cheap. I'm just gonna wait till I get my bike sold and then go with the mkll
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy