Hi there

I'm having somewhat of a conflict inside.

I've been playing guitar for about 3 years, and during that time I played in a few bands, but have no really been good enough to do anything great. I played one of my friends basses a while back and really enjoyed it, and even played bass for a band at some point. I really enjoy bass, but I also enjoy guitar.

Of course as we all know n one needs more guitarists but everyone needs more bassists. I also am a moderately good singer and go to lessons for that, so if I were to get into bass I would at least be able to get into bands, one of my main problem.

The other main problem is that I do not have a bass guitar. I have a MIM strat and an orange TH30 (so a good rig), and I was wondering if i should trade with someone to get a good bass rig.

I am very passionate about music, and for some reason I can think up better bass lines than guitar lines. I will still have my acoustic guitar so I won't be entirely without a guitar.

So should I do it? Should I give up a much loved instrument to get another much loved instrument?

I guess the thing really stopping me is I'm not entirely sure that even if I got a bass I would be able to get into and GOOD bands, and bands that actually do things and not just sit around.(I'm 18 btw, so it's not to do with 14 year old bands or anything).

Thanks

Craig

P.S. If I decided to keep my guitar, it would take me till the end of the year to get a nice bass rig, and I've been wanting this for a long time, and of course I don't really want to wait for the whole year. I could see myself buying another guitar and small nice amp just for myself after I got the bass, but I feel like I need to actually start getting places and not just sitting around waiting for enough money.
I can't help you with your choice, but often bands looking for a bassist will already have bass gear... I would start browsing the ads on craigslist and the like and answer ads looking for a bassist but mention from the start that you don't have your own gear yet. Maybe someone will have a spare bass and you might even be able to plug into the PA or something
If you love bass more then play bass. The world does not need more guitar players, there’s enough of a surplus to last. But too many bands can’t find a bassist and have to rely on some uninterested guitar player to fill in, who spends the gig chewing gum, staring into space, and plunking away at quarter notes.
Quote by JimmyCraig
, but I feel like I need to actually start getting places and not just sitting around waiting for enough money.

Then a job is probably a good place to start.
ayy lmao
Quote by chookiecookie
Then a job is probably a good place to start.

I have a job, but I also have school, so I can't work full time. But I sacrifice all my weekends to get money. So yeah.
Quote by flexiblemile
I can't help you with your choice, but often bands looking for a bassist will already have bass gear... I would start browsing the ads on craigslist and the like and answer ads looking for a bassist but mention from the start that you don't have your own gear yet. Maybe someone will have a spare bass and you might even be able to plug into the PA or something

Yeah. A decent bass is a great idea for now. You can get a nice rig to go with it later. Just get a DI box and plug into the PA for practice (this is what you will probably do for gigs, anyway) Every band I have been in, I played bass. I also love my guitars, so I keep them around. It helps when you can play both pretty well when it comes to contributing to the writing process.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Quote by JimmyCraig

So should I do it? Should I give up a much loved instrument to get another much loved instrument?

Not necessary. A short while ago I was asked to play bass on a project for some friends. I didn't have a bass or a bass rig of any kind. I picked up a cheap used 4-string bass (Fender Skull bass, under $100 off the used wall at GC, complete with tissue paper quality gig bag).

As it turned out, it was more than competent; it's got a J and a P bass pickup and sounds just fine. At about the same time, I found a used Line 6 BASS Pod XT for under $100 (I'm thinking under $80, actually, but I don't remember):

It models a bunch of different bass amps and cabs (and there are pedal boards available for it, etc.).

This allows you to use headphones for silent practice, or plug into small monitor-type speakers for bedroom stuff.

But here's where it sorta comes together. I've been playing keyboards for years. Been playing guitar for nearly as long. These days I play mostly through a modeler, and I have several, including the current Line 6 Pod HD (which uses the same foot pedal setup). All three of these, keyboard, guitar and bass, go through a small mixer into a Carvin power amp and into a pair of full-range cabinets. In my case, they're fEARless F115 cabinets designed originally for bass, but which are flat response full range speaker cabs that can also be used like PA cabs. This makes them perfect for keys and modeled guitar and...bass! In my case, the power amp is a 1500W unit (http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/HD1500 , current price $319) that can be found used cheaper.

You can actually build your own cabinets using DIY techniques, and you don't need to get them as big as mine (nor do you absolutely need two of them) -- check out the fEARful 12/6/1 at Speakerhardware.com, and do some searching at Talkbass.com for fEARful and fEARless speaker cabinets. One cabinet can handle almost any gig for both guitar and bass if you're using a modeler...
I call bs.. no 100$ squire and 80$ line 6 pod is either gig or recording quality. DO NOT even attempt to build your own rig unless you are some master craftsman. This guy gave you probably the worst advice I've ever heard.

Look. I don't mean to sound like a jerk. Only YOU know your true passions. But sure sounds to me like you only care about being in a band. IF you truly are a guitar player you will regret giving it up to play bass. If bass really is your passion you will be happy you did it. But I don't think you should make the change "because it is easier to get into a band" as you put it.
Dspellman knows his shit ^^

That being said, I went in for a cheap bass for recording, figured I would not notice, because I'm not a long time bass player..

..turns out I was wrong.

Just had to play one note, and the higher classes basses were far better sounding.

If anything the cheap basses sounded like a guitar just tuned down an octave, while the higher basses had a fuzzy and/or warm bass sound that you wanted to lay your head on if it was materialized.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??